How (un)realistic is it to run two sites simultaneously?

Lucky Cat

It is not unrealistic as long as you have good staff on both sites. It is unrealistic if you run them alone. And this is why my other site was never opened, not finding a co-administrator. It got to be a published novel instead...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It really depends on the kind of sites! If they're heavily involved and you're doing most/all of the work yourself, then it's probably fairly unrealistic to stay on top of more than one, especially when you have real life obligations. But I know plenty of people that run multiple sites at once! Like @SithLordOfSnark said, if the sites can pretty much run themselves without needing a heavy-handed admin around, then it's totally possible! Just be realistic about what you expect of yourself and your sites and it shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

Just keep in mind the type of person you are. I can't handle posting on two different sites, let alone even imagine running two (or, heaven forbid, more) of them. Some people can do it, others can't, but do bear in mind that it's generally better to do one thing really well than two (or, heaven forbid, more) poorly. 

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Kittenmitten said:

Just keep in mind the type of person you are. I can't handle posting on two different sites, let alone even imagine running two (or, heaven forbid, more) of them. Some people can do it, others can't, but do bear in mind that it's generally better to do one thing really well than two (or, heaven forbid, more) poorly. 

I agree with you 100%. :) Thank you for the wisdom.

I'm with @Kittenmitten. I can't run more than one at a time (which I have no shame admitting) but some people can and I'm a bit jealous. It depends on the individual's time and talents.

There are a couple other members of the Initiative who run more than one site. Are you thinking of running multiple, @Lucky Cat?

• I read this! 1

WoL___dark01.png

Not unrealistic at all, but always comes down to two factors:

• What sort of sites they are, and how actively you will need to be involved
  • And how well you do at managing your time

Me? I can run one site really really well, and I can run it for years. But I can't so much as post on another RP without losing that balance. More than one site as an admin would destroy me, and I'm okay with that. So all my energy goes to running and playing at my own site. Definitely a "be honest with yourself" moment, but it's not unrealistic.

• I read this! 1

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

I'm jealous of people who can run two sites too.

I would love to start up a western frontier original setting but steampunk....but there's so much I want to do with Rovers and as it is, I wish I had more hours in the day. Or that I didn't need to sleep. Alas.

As much as I would love to convince myself otherwise, I simply can't do two alone.

• I read this! 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

@Uaithne I am thinking about it. It was my original intent to start with, but it is definitely harder to get a site established than it is actually  make it I've found. XD The first month was really rough and time consuming but after the first month it gradually calmed down. I don't have formal work right now. (Trying to also establish my artsy fartsy career while I wait for our finals (college) as it is also part of one of our courses. So, lots of bulking up portfolio, spamming jobs, setting up networking accounts, and so on.). So, I figured if there is any time to do it, now would be it while I still have the extra time. I could build it, and then hire some help. If it came to be a point where I couldn't run both sites at a time (or at all), I'd just adopt them out rather than closing them. I would honestly rather just join another site with what I want to do but it apparently doesn't exist so might as well make it myself. I'm terrible. XD Thing is that I'm not sureif I could handle both. I've only ever run this one site so I'm struggling gauge my limits. THANKS FOR ASKING!