To Kill or not to kill a canon

Crimson

I would love opinions, I have heard horror stories about sites that kill off one or two canons and I want to know if its a bad sign or if it will be ok for plot wise to do so.....

• Like 1

Places I Rp where you can find me

Crossroads To Hell

spacer.png

Dark Envy

spacer.png

What do you mean by horror stories?

I've never heard of this, but I don't see killing a canon (or original character for that matter) as a bad sign on its own. It would depend on why the canon character is being killed. 

Also, it seems okay to me, plot-wise, to kill a canon off if you're not following the canon after a certain point - so long as it's not affecting any of the other characters involved with the canon and it doesn't affect the site's vision (if there is one). 

For me, a bad sign is when staff kill member characters without their consent (and simply telling someone their character is dying is not acquiring consent) or when it's only member characters dying and none of the staff's (on a site where characters getting killed off is a thing/strictly enforced). I'm saying this as someone who kills characters all the time/will not a join a site where killing your own character is not allowed.

Edited by Kullervo
  • Agree 1

I'm on a post apoc site where... for want of a better term... shit happens... people get sick and there aren't doctors to look after them...  everyone's characters CAN die here... we don't enforce a 'stupidity equals death' thing because that's not really necessary... I have a character I'm playing right now who is going to be publicly executed as some point (ok so he's one of mine not a canon...) but I guess that's the nature of the source material. Characters died all the time in the original show. 

Find Another Way

Teen Wolf, 18+, 10 Years Later, Canons and Originals welcome!

@Crimson What kind of horror stories? 

I'm personally a fan of Killing characters: However, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have mutual agreement with the character's player. 

• Agree 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Honestly, as long as:

- the character is being killed because it fits the plot/because it would be the IC consequence of their actions - not because admins got mad at someone;

- there is previous agreement;

There's nothing wrong with killing a character, be it canon or original. I'd bet if we dug deeper, we'd learn that the horror stories probably stem from doing the opposite of what's listed above (or players who joined a site in which characters can die and then threw a fit when it was their character, that can happen too).

• Agree 3

Shady McShaderson

Awesome I love all the answers...the reason I asked is because I have heard that some people don't like their canons to be killed or do certain things that would change the plot or something. The canon I am contemplating on killing is mine and I am the owner of the site will it affect other players yes some in a good way others well not sure have to run it by them...But I guess I was worried that it would say hey damn she is killing off the main Vampire canon I wonder who is next? Or if people in the site will feel like dang she has no issues killing off her own canon's....The thing is I don't see redemption for this character the horrific things he has done in the past and the present just call for a few others to rip his head off.....I am the type of person to hurt my characters and I love it and I am a firm believer that even if its my favorite character they must get hurt if not what is the fun in having a happy go lucky character that never gets hurt or die...

But I guess since this will be the first ever Canon I kill I was worried it was not a good idea to do but I guess is not that bad then...

• Agree 1
  • Love 2

Crossroads To Hell

spacer.png

Dark Envy

spacer.png

Totally go for it! My Big Bad Vamp Gal committed suicide in one incarnation, and it threw my friend's character into a very intense downward spiral (neither of us expected this reaction from him) that was extremely interesting to play out. You can work wonderful things with death as a plot device. 

Edited by CovertSphinx
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

3 minutes ago, CovertSphinx said:

Totally go for it! My Big Bad Vamp Gal committed suicide in one incarnation, and it threw my friend's character into a very intense downward spiral (neither of us expected this reaction from him) that was extremely interesting to play out. You can work wonderful things with death as a plot device. 

Yeah I think the news will mess with my friend

• Love 1

Crossroads To Hell

spacer.png

Dark Envy

spacer.png

If its your character, then go for it... To me, it says that you're willing to do what it takes to further the plot and for your characters actions to have 'realistic' consequences. Yes it may scare a couple of your members, but it's not like you're forcing them to kill their characters. 

I have a canon character who may be about to have his throat ripped out in the next post... I'm mean he's survived that before buuuut.... 

• Like 2

Find Another Way

Teen Wolf, 18+, 10 Years Later, Canons and Originals welcome!

I have killed both my own characters, important reoccurring NPCs and abandoned characters (6+months abandoned) all for story reasons (and also in order to make room in the roster for new characters to take their place). I never get bored of a character. I kill them only if it ripples interesting plot twists involving as many characters as possible.

I also take into account the opinion of other writers who have characters connected with that one. Maybe one writer doesn't want her character to be an untimely widow, and then the plot point can be achieved by the character being considered dead, but returning later...

I think, like any character, its dependent upon the situation. So you have to ask yourself a multitude of questions before you do it. What would killing them do to the story? To any ongoing or future plots? Are they dying simply because they're simply not doing anything or boring? There's a multitude of others that could be asked depending upon the type of game and even what the genre of your board is.

• Agree 2

rpgd-sig-banner-white.png

The stage is set. The war is on. Now we just need you.

Guest TheHales

Everyone's made really great points about why killing off canons isn't a huge deal, and I'd agree with them that it's situational. I had a fairly well-connected canon on a site that was taken up three times and abandoned which was irksome since I played said character's husband. Two other members played her grown kids and another played a long-time friend so it was frustrating to see the character come and go so after the third abandonment, we started looking at how we could stop the pattern from repeating. Choice? We set up a way to kill her that had fallout for everyone involved AND advanced other subplots based on her death and information gained so the whole thing would up being good! I say go with your gut in regards to killing them.

Like almost everyone else has stated in their responses, it depends on the situation and site rules. We do not allow killing off played characters unless the player requests it. We also do not kill off a character when we have to dismiss a player from the game. We had a player voluntarily leave once and request her character be killed off. The resulting in-game and behind-the-scenes drama was mind boggling. This does not mean we do not have IC consequences when necessary.

Character deaths can be story significant. However, all the impacts should be considered before the action is taken.

Killing a game canon or fandom canon should be based strictly on the site's premise and its ongoing stories. I see no issues with eliminating canons if the site is extremely AU or set after the natural lifespan of said canon(s).

Death happens. Each site should weigh the consequences to their story, premise, rules, etc.

Humor Note: Killing my character at someone else's game would pretty much end my tenure at their RPG. I usually play only one character at other RPGs because I have to run so many at my own game(s).

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I really appreciate the feedback it has made lots of awesome points and right now is a debate in our forum. Some like the idea including me (Handler and owner of forum) Others just feel at a loss.....In the end we are running the plot that will lead to his death if we go that route, however I can say many things in the end my brain might throw me a freaking surprising moment and when I start typing if its on my head is most likely to end on the post so maybe we kill him or maybe we can find redemption for him. I think I asked because I wanted to have the options if my brain decided oh he gonna die deal you know.

Crossroads To Hell

spacer.png

Dark Envy

spacer.png

I think a legitimate threat of a character dying adds a tangible consequence to a player's actions. I don't think as a game master that it is advisible to go into the mindset of killing a character lightly. The death of an important NPC, or PC should mean something. Horror is not just the crazy guy with the chainsaw running after the party- he's that building sense of dread, that fear that the shadow behind you will come alive and attack; that perhaps someone in the party is not themselves. Tension should build in horror- it's scary because you don't know what will happen. Dead is the ultimate consequence. 

For any story, you should consider what could actually be gained by the character dying. Did they sacrifice themselves for the greater good? Did it inspire a shining moment of courage? Was it just another body into the meat grinder to prove just how powerless the party is? Is it a rallying point? Is it a point to make the party break? Gore for the sake of gore is the fun of a spatterpunk campaign but is it going to be fun for the person being smeared across the dirt?  I find that you have to compromise sometimes- what will be the best for the story and what will be the most fun for your players. No one likes having to reroll a character on a bad GM day but they will not be as angry if they felt like they actually had a good run.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

"Being a knight is being a soldier that leads others. You are a soldier. All the noble ideals in the world can't be preserved without someone dying. There are people that need to be protected from those evil motherfuckers running around. You can't walk from this fight. Not after you went for him directly. He will pursue and tear everything down, you made this personal." Lukina twirled the claymore in her hand in the way Creature had showed her, mimicking his stances. "You don't get to drink tea or save kittens. You kill people to keep other people safe." ~ From Ch 1. Episode 10: Recovery and Restoration- of Knights of Kowloon