• Spotlight RPG
  • Spotlight RPG
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gota

IC social network

Something that I started to implement to our site - it's self-hosted so it's easy to download a software and add it to the web space - is an IC social network that functions similar to Facebook and Twitter but in a fictional world, meaning that Earth-websites don't exist there and said IC social network is the big one in that world. It comes with a Dashboard, profiles, follower options, spaces that are like groups, private messages and much more. The special thing about it is that it's not for player profiles but rather for characters, meaning you could make profiles for several characters, have them follow famous people (who can post status updates which characters can comment on), join Spaces, get into contact with characters from other countries which would normally not be possible for some of them (there are people that never leave their home country, after all) and so on.

It's not necessary, yeah, but I tested it out for a bit and it seems like it might be a lot of fun with more characters. So I guess the question is if you would use something like that and if it's a good idea.

Edited by Gota

ooooh.... that does sound very interesting, and certainly something that might be worth exploring. Though it's more work it could be good on Desires @SithLordOfSnark... I'd have to take a look at it and see, but it certainly sounds like an interesting aspect to add to a site. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Zahara said:

ooooh.... that does sound very interesting, and certainly something that might be worth exploring. Though it's more work it could be good on Desires @SithLordOfSnark... I'd have to take a look at it and see, but it certainly sounds like an interesting aspect to add to a site. 

This is something I'd want to poll the members about, because if literally nobody will use it, it's not worth the hassle.

• Agree 1

A while back a group of us all made Facebook accounts for several of our characters who were long-time plot partners and had an interconnected story. All in all, we had about 10 characters on Facebook. And it was LOADS of fun for the first three months or so until we started drifting away to different boards and such. 

This sounds like an AWESOME side idea for plot-centric boards that take place in modern day settings. I would totally do something like this if I had enough people / the knowhow.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, CovertSphinx said:

A while back a group of us all made Facebook accounts for several of our characters who were long-time plot partners and had an interconnected story. All in all, we had about 10 characters on Facebook. And it was LOADS of fun for the first three months or so until we started drifting away to different boards and such. 

This sounds like an AWESOME side idea for plot-centric boards that take place in modern day settings. I would totally do something like this if I had enough people / the knowhow.

I heard that Facebook erases profiles like that and it wouldn't really feel right to use FB which is why I took an extra step and just made my own social network.

And yeah, it does. You could even have an adventurer who posts photos (which would be drawn in our case) of their journey, a news site (which we already have) that reports on politics and happenings around the world and lots of other stuff.

Facebook DOES delete them. We used to do this on a modern site I was on maybe ten years ago. I liked the idea so much that my next forum had something like what the OP is talking about. We called it something generic like Headbook or something goofy like that. It was kinda fun but we only had like 4 members so it didn't last all that long. I've actually been thinking of trying something similar again, which is why I clicked on this topic! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks a lot for that, @CovertSphinx. And yeah, I like to make full use of my webspace and give more options - especially if those are optional - which is why I also have other stuff implemented, like a Booru for artists (the booru of Vinny from Vinesauce gave me that idea) and a Wiki-software. Who knows what I'll implement next :'D

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

11 hours ago, Gota said:

You could even have an adventurer who posts photos (which would be drawn in our case) of their journey, a news site (which we already have) that reports on politics and happenings around the world and lots of other stuff.

I do these on our historical board, without having any special software: a newspaper format from the resource sites for the newspaper articles, our regular Chronicles and the characters; journals.

• Love 2

I ran a gossip magazine on an old board. It was fun making a special cover for each "Major rumor" and throwing in little snippet articles as well. But it felt cluttered and "hidden" in the board where I was organizing it, so I'm trying to think of a better way of implementing my IC newsoutlets. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Oh yeah, if you are self-hosting and want to do something similar: we are using Humhub. There is other software but none of them worked for our hosting service, so I think Humhub is one that has fewer requirements.