How Paranoid are you?

CovertSphinx

Do you re-check sites that Link Back when advertising?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have to admit, I sometimes think I'm crazy for doing this. But I've developed this habit that's more of an unignorable tick. Every time a site links back after I've posted an Ad, go pop back into their advertisement board to make sure the ad I posted is still up. YEARS ago, a friend of mine told be about a site she was on where the admin basically admitted to deleting ads after placing a linkback randomly. Said friend only found out because she went to bump the ad for her own site and found it missing. 

Am I the only one hit with a tiny paranoia bug? 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

@CovertSphinx  LOL. I am as paranoid as you can get! However, I chose sometimes on the poll. I will go check sites if I don't recognize them only to make sure they are legit. Periodically, I check to make sure the links aren't dead. While we ask they take one of our buttons, I really don't care if they do or not. Sagas does not really provide advertising beyond posting a site's button on our index page.

• Love 2

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I wasn't paranoid before, was very carefree about my ads because my rules on ads don't exist. I think I will try to make a better effort at going back and checking up on things like this. I for the life of me can't figure out why someone would take the time to delete an ad, it feels like you are wasting your time and everyone else's especially if it increases the chances of it getting posted again. That's why I am like feel free to post duplicates if you want tis good for me cause I get a view/guest tis nice for you cause you get exposure. Why waste time deleting ads when you could be writing. 

rpgdbutton2.png&key=dfb05af7bfa27396287d83219050c087a693d5129f138b5d126d1f2f5979e350watchaffiepurple.png&key=00171f06b95e74ffa2ed833f2f78f69c54c8d62932cebe6c4f5169ccd7f9c713
HOME // FORUM // NEWSLETTER // DISCORD ] 

I have never rechecked my link-back ads, and this has never occurred to me but now I can't help but feel a bit paranoid! O_O

Once I post something I assume that it will remain there. Who in the world actually has the time to check if sites in their advertising boards are even active let alone deleting me? I guess I just leave it all on faith that everyone is as busy as I am and my ad is still floating around. xD

I don't check back for this purpose. (Sometimes if I'm afraid I made a typo.) If they delete me, that's silly, but I'm not wasting a breath in it.

• Agree 3

WoL___dark01.png

I don't check. I'm far too lazy for that.

• Agree 1

Reality is an illusion. 

Guest TheHales

Honestly, this was never something I thought about until now, but I don't really find it a problem. I mean, I do check back on affiliates to make sure they're still active but that's pretty much it. I have to agree that laziness is my reason plus why waste my online time on such a tedious activity?

The last thing I want to spend time on is moderating my own ad forums and checking my ads. I can think of a lot of better things I can be doing that actually benefits my forum. I mean, we all know link backs and first links is very low impact advertising, why spend more energy than necessary on it?

If someone is that petty that they deliberately use the link back forums in lieu of the first link or delete ads, well, they're that petty.

• Preach it! 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• Operations Mod

Advertising is already tedious af without adding extra steps. 

Ads are a dime a million in the rp world. They don't really attract that much attention to a forum to begin with. I'd be willing to bet that for every 1,000 views an ad gets only maybe a dozen or so actually click on it and maybe one of them will join, if even that many. 

I also don't dick with any one ad only BS. I'll link back as many times as another site ads on my forum, who cares. 

• Preach it! 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

Forewarning - I don't bother with guest ad sections anymore for a few reasons. But when I did I rarely ever checked back. 

About the only thing I actually check back on now are affiliates. If I affiliate with a site and get accepted then I check back periodically to make sure the banner is up. (I've had sites that agreed to affiliate then never put my button up. Another time a site did put my button up and then a few days later, after I'd "gone away" they removed it hoping I wouldn't notice.)

"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

I am on camp I don't even bother. I'll see people say "I spent two hours cleaning out sites on the advertising board" and be like....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU9dWDKOBPDzhHcz2VfV_

I can tell you that you are wasting your time doing so. Write a post. Write a blog. Go for a walk. 

• Agree 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

They are putting an insane amount of energy into advertising, lol. 

You can just post an ad and then go about your day again. So long as someone isn't spamming. I don't really care. 

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR

I don't check back on a linkback unless I don't recognize the site as one I advertised on recently.

I'll delete ads if someone posts it in linkbacks and I haven't advertised on their forum. I give the benefit of the doubt that maybe the first time it was an accident. But if they keep doing it? Yes, I will delete them every time they post and consider them "not allowed" to post. Honestly it takes like a minute, maybe two, to both find out if I posted there(generally I know if I posted somewhere so I don't even have to check) and wastes no time for me — I can still do anything else I was doing and/or go back to it right afterward. Given that I'm usually doing stuff related to ads already(as in advertising myself) it doesn't hurt my time at all. Why do I do it? I just find it really disingenuous. There's literally no reason for them to do that other than to be disingenuous on purpose so why would I let their ad be there. *shrug*

It has nothing to do with being paranoid though. Just a personal standard that if I wouldn't do that to another board, why would I be okay with other boards pulling that on my forums. It's just unnecessarily rude.

• 1 month later...

Not, really paranoid at all. I mean, it's an honor system (to me), where I put up your button and you put up mine - if mine goes down at any point in time that I actually genuinely feel like checking - then I'll take yours down also. I will usually send a PM to the site owner first, though - communication is a common courtesy that I prefer to exercise first, before shutting down an affiliate based on a mere assumption.

1541415216_g6cTMDv(1).png.8ff5c7c1ce372dd5a0682e397b94d4fd.png