• Spotlight RPG
  • Spotlight RPG
  • Spotlight RPG
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Uaithne

Membership Are There Fewer RP Sites These Days?

I'm not sure about a lack of sites but...there definitely seems to be a lack of variety. A lot of roleplay sites nowadays are all similar to each other in one way or the other. Lots of city life, high school based ones, and supernaturals. It's kind of depressing.

Funny you mention that, @Hysteria . . . I was thinking about how there are so few high school sites.  Back in the day (back when we ourselves were around HS age), there were dozens and dozens of such sites.  Oh, man, they were bad.  Like all these high school kids who got to run around big cities with infinite moneys and no repercussions.  Directories used to have to have separate areas for high schools and boarding schools since there were so many.

Ok, so I didn't think I was going to jump in on this but I'm going to. The lack in diversity is due to the lack in diversity of types of sites. You want an Animanga site... You don't look on Jcink. Jcink has a rate for playbys and despise Animanga (I hate to say it but just look at directories like the Initiative or Caution) when you look at them, look at the requests and things you will find that the requests are "NO ANIMANGA.... NO THIS... NO THAT" and so the diversity of the content provided is primarily cultured by the community.

We on the Initiative encourage the full range of sites but since the niche of Jcink, real people thing is here the expansion of other "types" of sites lowers because those types of roleplayers/advertisers/administrators are discouraged thinking its not worth their time.

Yes there are a ton of tumblr RPs out there, there are twitter RPs and more but have you looked at those niche's? We here in this corner of the roleplay world have decided "NO WORD COUNT! SHORT OR NO APP!" and the people on tumblr are what our niche little community used to be.... 10-15 years ago. "800-1200 word per post minimum! MATCH YOUR PARTNER! 50 million word app!"

You'll also notice that these same roleplayers are younger than most of us. In their teens to early twenties. They grew up on tumblr where a lot of us evolved from places like Gaia and Neopets.

To end my rambling I'll try to give the tl;dr version:

There aren't less roleplays but the mediums that the roleplays are on are "less desirable" to people that don't wish to branch out (take for example Nova, it's one of the best roleplaying environments and yet the only people that use it are Star Trek roleplayers.... who you'll note, other than @Death Kitten none of them advertise on a directory like this). The roleplay cycle is never ending and always changing. Consider your audience, I'd say (especially here on the Initiative) most of us are 25+ years old and been roleplaying for 10+ years. We're set in our ways, we know what we want and we do it. Plain and simple fact.

• Agree 1