What to do about a player that keeps joining, but never posts?

Anonymous

On my site, we have activity checks from the 5th to the 10th of every month. It requires players to fill out a simple form and provide their latest post with each of their characters. Those that don't post in our activity checks get their accounts deactivated, and then a month later, deleted. This one particular person always misses the activity checks and then comes back on to get their account reinstated like 3 days after it has ended. And then they don't post afterwards. At all, ever. It's been a loop of three times already that we've deactivated their account only to have them come back on and reinstate it, but then never post to stay active or remember to post in our activity checks.

We've warned this person about their activity, reminding them that they need one post to stay active onboard and they only need to post in the activity check with their one character. I don't think that's asking too much? However, it seems that didn't work out as well. This person is always complaining about being too lazy or too busy to post... and the staff and I are kind of tempted to suggest they come back at a later time when they're not  too busy or lazy to post.... because what's the point of joining a roleplay if you're not going to roleplay?

As a staff, have you ever dealt with someone like this? What was your solution? How did you handle the situation? What happened with the player - did they improve or leave?

Thanks!

Anonymous poster hash: d21d3...8da

Those sorts of members are so frustrating. >_<

If it were me, I'd PM the member and ask them what's up.  Tell them that you've noticed a repeated behavior pattern in which activity checks are frequently missed only to have the character reinstated later and not played.  Explain to them why you have this rule in place and ask them what they suggest to do to keep it from happening again.  And if it occurs again, or if it's clear that they're not making an effort to play, tell them to come back when they are less busy.

Or, if you prefer a more cut-and-dry approach, just skip to the end of the paragraph above and tell the person to come back when they're less busy.

But don't make it sound like a threat or a punishment.  I've found that when it seems to be a threat or punishment, people will make promises (that they don't keep) and cling to what they have because they realize that to have it taken away means that they have failed in some manner.  Just say something nice like, "Hey, I've seen this pattern and I've heard that you're pretty busy; you sound like you need a break.  Why don't you take a couple months off and come back around when you can post without worrying about missing activity requirements."

WoL___dark01.png

I suggest instituting some sort of rewards program for people who pass the activity check, other than "you get to keep your account", that would make them want to stay active. By I don't really know how, or if that would be an idea that could last for long-term options.

I don't do activity checks anymore, but when people join and don't post I just leave them there in limbo. They then can continue recieving any update emails that get sent about the site. 

If the character is holding up plots, we as staff retool what we need to and write them out, but otherwise as long as the person isn't disrupting the rest of the site I leave them be. If they disrupt, they are told they can either work their issues out quietly or leave. 

• Agree 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

This member is making more work for you and your staff by making you reinstate them each month. Either post or don't bruh, but that's not your problem. It's theirs. They're taking up your time, putting your focus on them when it could be elsewhere. And this has happened at least three times now!! It's not fair to you or to other members on your site. If they don't want to post, maybe they should just be a lurker. But they need to stop lying to themselves at this point.

• Agree 1
  • LOL 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I 100% second @Dragon. The only difference is that I would give them the warning first. 

"Because of x, y, z, we are reinstating your accounts for the final time." Kind of thing so it doesn't feel out of the blue.

• Love 1
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg