Prizes/rewards for members

Gota

What are some good prizes/rewards you could give to members if they, for example, complete a challenge or "win" something? Like, if there is a "make this country more interesting" challenge or anything else, really. I thought about something from our artists but, then again, this would be pointless if a member is an artist themselves, so I'm not sure what would be a good way to make challenges and similar stuff more interesting.

2055148134_EOHbanner.png.530f7a6856f7b2fd0b4861da17014318.png

In my experience, people love little "buttons" they can put in their signatures in order to brag about their victories.  Then they try to collect as many as possible.  If that's not going to fit your board, you can always look into an award system that displays little graphical awards beneath the avatar in the mini profile area.

• Agree 1
  • Great Idea 1

WoL___dark01.png

Oh, that's enough? I thought I had to go all out and stuff.

• Agree 1

I would definitely ask your members what they'd like to see!

I know with my RP, I made tons of badges, but the ability to create forums with enough points is definitely a thing. We're more of a real life-based RP, and so we want people to make the website their own, including adding new places and sub-forums!

Well, we don't have members yet so I would need to do that later.

This is a free hobby, you need only fork out as much as you want to. For that reason, I don't think anyone expects more than just shinies as awards.

So for awards, in addition to what was already mentioned. You could maybe put a special icon next to the member's display name (makes them look unique). You could offer to pin plotters or wanted ads or have them displayed on the index for a limited amount of time. You might also feature one of their characters for a limited amount of time.

I've also seen admins make post templates, graphic sets and offer free level ups for stat based sites.

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Besides a medal and mentioning in the monthly chronicle, the prizes can be graphics, e-books on subjects related to the site (Project Gutenberg is a treasure to finding good e-books for free) and custom made CDs, with music related to the site and the cover with a special dedication (examples: 1, 2, 3). These are also free and highly appreciated. It takes just a little work and lots of love.

I recommend warmly to everyone these concrete and easy to make/ offer prizes which are cheap and can turn into cherished mementos. Other people would recommend mainly badges and coloured custom frills to display in the character’s profile, but… what to do with badges? How many people are fond of “shinies”? Besides, it contributes to slowing down the loading of the site. Having a concrete prize, to hold in your hand and to remain as a wonderful souvenir of the story you are writing together, counts a lot and it is more thoughtful. You or any skilled member of your site can make the graphics used as a prize, or the YouTube movie with the graphics you have received as contest submissions. 

For the e-books, Project Gutenberg is the best source, and you can find lots of free books there you haven’t heard of because they hadn’t been republished recently, but which are interesting and pertinent to the site’s theme. 

And for the custom CD, it takes songs you have already, either in your computer or on CD’s, to copy in your computer and to give them a custom cover, then to email them to the winner. No money involved, just your patience and love. It takes 10-12 e-mails (each one with 2-3 songs) and the personalised CD cover the last. Then they burn the CD, print the cover and this is it. It is important that something remains to remind them of the achievements and of the community. The CDs comprised, during the years, the site’s two theme songs, some plot theme songs (Alestorm’s pirate-themed worked well, for example.), some of the characters theme songs and place-related songs (Sun of Jamaica, Haiti cherie, Springtime in Nassau, Kingston Town, etc.).

I'm a fan of the "medal" or "button". I dunno why~ (They're really easy to do, in truth. I saw on a Pern site one time, it was literally all eggs that were different colors. >> And so all the staff had to do was manipulate the color of the eggs and it probably took 5 min in photoshop, tops.)

OTMs, Spotlights, etc. are always good ways to highlight good and prominent members.

You can also do things like have a cool color for their name; an icon next to it; maybe something in the discord/cbox that gets them noticed -- for the extent of time that their reward lasts, of course.

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

Honestly, I went onto Deviantart and found a bunch of gemstone icons and got permission from the artist to use them as awards through jcink's award system.  Pretty neat-o.  No photoshop necessary, though there was a bit of legwork to find them, ask permission, download them, etc.

WoL___dark01.png

collectables, badges, art from on-site artists/musicians, a special title, lore being officialized in the game, a board, a custom code job, on-site currency, or premium (paid) currency, things from the site shop, if your site uses one as a way to provide perks to players (such as rare species or upgrades).

I've seen some sites with money to back them do things like pins, keychains and physical badges, usually things that can be cheaply made and sent out to anyone who earns them, but its not common for a start-up site made for the sake of hobbies

Edited by Kazetatsu

People go apeshit over awards.

We offer the chance to have wanted ads or shippers pinned, rarer character slots, etc. I've got a lot more exciting things getting released next month but can't share them cause some of my folks are on here and it would ruin the surprise. I will return!

Well, seems like we can't add badges and stuff in the mini-profile unless I hire a modder but who knows how expensive that is. Guess I'll have to go with other suggestions

2 hours ago, Gota said:

Well, seems like we can't add badges and stuff in the mini-profile unless I hire a modder but who knows how expensive that is. Guess I'll have to go with other suggestions

Do you have signatures? 

• Agree 1

Yeah, looks like it.