JCink Only, But...why? An advertising story.

Bishop

Ok so on my advertising little stint I go on every once in a while I'm always hesitant to reply to those sites that say JCink or JCink only. In their posts I'll read they are just wanting the adult content to be available, but it made me wonder. Is it more than that?

For those of you that chose JCink only, may I ask why? It seems these same people don't have any problem running around a directory as amazing as this one that is self-hosted, why must is the RP just for Jcink?

Thanks in advance for the answers! I'm just curious really. Wondering if this if should be my next project. "I was able to self host, and so can you." ❤️

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

Proboards and other hosts don't allow any links to 18+ content, like Sith said.

In other cases it's because they don't want to play the "log into an advertiser account" game. 

I doubt if it's self hosted they'll care overly much. It's most likely to keep proboards at bay. People don't seem to grasp that there's more than 2 forum hosts.

• Agree 2
  • Cheers 1

• Operations Mod

It has a lot to do with content, like Sith mentioned. 

Jcink sites that allow graphic adult content don't want to mess with proboards or other sites that don't allow it. In my experience, a lot of those sites will actually do a return advertisement on the OPS, then turn around and delete the original ad from their own. It isn't wildly rampant, but common enough to be an annoyance - and since it is common for roleplayers to use proboards/jcink/icyboards exclusively to the extent that they'll automatically dismiss any sites not on their preferred forum, the sites that do it aren't actually losing that much potential viewership. 

There is also a small pool of people who barely understand basic bold, italic, underline html and either don't know how, or just can't be bothered to create an ad version for each host. Its already a huge hassle to advertise at all, let alone sit there and have to rebuild the ad every time they come across a forum they aren't familiar with. 

That last one isn't a great reason, but it is definitely a semi-common one. 

• Agree 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

There is also a small pool of people who barely understand basic bold, italic, underline html and either don't know how, or just can't be bothered to create an ad version for each host. Its already a huge hassle to advertise at all, let alone sit there and have to rebuild the ad every time they come across a forum they aren't familiar with. 

That last one isn't a great reason, but it is definitely a semi-common one. 

I will admit to being guilty of this on my last stint - the not-be-bothered part. Sort of. As I'm going around placing my ad on other sites, I skip over anything that doesn't look like it's using the Jcink style tags. Advertising is a headache as it is, I really don't want to spend more time on it than I have to. If a Non-Jcink board Links on mine first, is a similar topic/genre to mine, and has preview enabled for guests (I saw one self-host site a couple days ago that doesn't let guests preview their posts to make sure everything looks right), then and ONLY then do I make the effort of retooling my ad to fit their codes. If the site has nothing in similarity with mine (such as Real Life:Small Town) then I just delete the ad and don't bother. 

• Agree 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Proboards does have that adult content blanket rule, though that's never been an issue for me just because I can't afford to pay for premium on anything. My main annoyance is that when they switched to v5 I had to recode everything for it. Also I've seen a lot of sites that force you to sign into an advertising account which is a bit of a hassle. Combine those two and I have to agree with Sphinx. I'm prone to enough headaches without the added annoyances.

That said if it's any other host and the coding is similar enough to jcink/if/icyboards, sure thing. And I won't ban pb sites from advertising on mine, so long as I can bribe another admin into doing linkbacks. 😛

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, CovertSphinx said:

I will admit to being guilty of this on my last stint - the not-be-bothered part. Sort of. As I'm going around placing my ad on other sites, I skip over anything that doesn't look like it's using the Jcink style tags

In my experience

[center][/center]

And

[url="#"]Text[/url]

Works everywhere. I have one type of advertisement, I use it everywhere and it has never broken (yet).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Yeah, I just use my version of my ad that has [center*] tags, and I'm good to go.

BUT I find that some sites are such a hassle.  Proboards has that stupid GIANT notification that pops up telling you to turn off ad-block (no).  Some of the self-hosted sites have 2-4 anti-bot questions you have to answer.  Other self-hosted sites require an email address.  So I can understand why people would want to limit where they advertise.

Yet I think that saying "X-host only" is silly.  When I don't feel like advertising on a site that has placed their link on my board, I pretend that I have and I move it to the section as though I've linked back on it.  They get what they want, I get what I want (more or less), and I don't look like an elitist.

• Agree 4

WoL___dark01.png

I can be very lazy and not be bothered to advertise back on Proboards sites... but I've never felt that was a good enough reason to prohibit them from advertising on mine.

I do have multiple versions of our code though, so when I can be bothered, it's an option. It's not terribly hard to re-code an ad.

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

• Admin
9 hours ago, kjSage said:

That said if it's any other host and the coding is similar enough to jcink/if/icyboards, sure thing.

I think part of the OP's message was.... if those are the codes/things/doodads that you need/want why do you advertise on here. I'm still curious.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

7 hours ago, Uaithne said:

Yeah, I just use my version of my ad that has [center*] tags, and I'm good to go.

BUT I find that some sites are such a hassle.  Proboards has that stupid GIANT notification that pops up telling you to turn off ad-block (no).  Some of the self-hosted sites have 2-4 anti-bot questions you have to answer.  Other self-hosted sites require an email address.  So I can understand why people would want to limit where they advertise.

Yet I think that saying "X-host only" is silly.  When I don't feel like advertising on a site that has placed their link on my board, I pretend that I have and I move it to the section as though I've linked back on it.  They get what they want, I get what I want (more or less), and I don't look like an elitist.

That proboards ad makes me cringe. It's so large and just... overbearing. And turning off adblock makes the page load times shoot up to IE/Edge loading times for me, depending on where I am. (I usually got my advertising done while on a campus with atrocious wifi, Fun times.) And proboards seems to load slower on my end as it is. I've yet to encounter the questions/self-hosts wanting emails but I also haven't started advertising for my latest site either as it's still not officially reopened.

4 hours ago, Morrigan said:

I think part of the OP's message was.... if those are the codes/things/doodads that you need/want why do you advertise on here. I'm still curious.

I make exceptions for directory sites as they tend to have dedicated forms to fill out and the majority of them are on software I'm more familiar with. This will actually be the first site I advertise here.

8 hours ago, SithLordOfSnark said:

Where in proboards TOS does it actually say adult sites can';t be advertised? I've been advertising my BDSM site on  proboards sites for OVER three years without an issue. I simply avoid sites that are all "OMG NO ADULT ADS." because just no.

I don't like proboards but everyone else screams that it's against tos so I assume and move on with my life. If they advertise on mine, I hit it back and it wouldn't come back on you anyway.

Oh gosh these are great! Thank you!

I guess I should clarify that it isn't the going from board to board to advertise I'm pondering about, (I don't mess with that at all) but more like when someone is looking for a site. I just see, 'jcink only' and it does make me wonder--why? Because it is familiar? Because of the sex? Trust me, I don't like limits at all, and still do pay for my JCink sites just so they don't get shut down because I like going back and reading them, but it just sort of puzzles me when people can navigate directory sites just fine but will only rp on JCink?

Thank you again!!

"Everyone has been doing so much soul searching during all of this,

and I'm just over here drawing pics of my character's dicks."

on the other hand, there are people who don't like jcink for various reasons (myself included), so each player to their own.
For those who only rp on one kind of site it's definitely a familiarity thing. You know the codes you can use, the user settings you have sub accounts etc, and all the bells and whistles on your favorite type of site, and can't find anything on whatever sort of site you're not used to without a lot more effort & relearning. Each host also has visual quirks. those can be edited through good skinning, but many jcink, proboards, etc sites have respective kinds of looks, that may get on different players nerves.

different forum hosts also indicate different kinds of player bases. the stereotype of anime sites, or pokemon sites all using one sort of host exists because yes, you can find a lot of people who like that theme using such a host for their boards, so discriminating by host type is a way to sort out player groups that might not be your thing.

I think the biggest issue regarding different styles of ad/in-post code is [center ] or [ align=center] and if they allow html or not. there are some other code differences to on their versions of  bbcode for size, color, font, images, tables, you name it.  You can go pretty advanced on the coding for your own site host, but it can break completely if you tried to ad on something else. as a player, it also means you can't port over your favorite codes to other sites as easily, if you're one of the players who use fancypost styles.

Many sites sort ads into pb, jcink and other first links, or by style tag so that the advertisers can hit up many link backs without copying a new code each time. I think this is helpful but ultimately ends up being an extra hassle for first linkers, especially if sites don't have an other board for all the forums out there that don't fit.

Ultimately I've come to prefer that an ad be as simple as possible code wise, an image, some text, and a few links, using a center tag makes everything look organized, but the less code used, the less likely something will break, or if it does break, its an easy fix.

Edited by Kazetatsu

19 hours ago, Dragon said:

In my experience, a lot of those sites will actually do a return advertisement on the OPS, then turn around and delete the original ad from their own. It isn't wildly rampant

I had no idea that this ^ was a thing.

One time I saw a Xenforo(?) hosted RP that didn't allow other Xenforo forums to advertise at there site (all other hosts were welcomed). Know why that might be?

Ultimately, I don't really know why there are "Proboards only," "Jcink only," (aside from what people have already enlightened me with from this thread xD), but I always figured it had to do with coding. Back in mah day /shakes cane/, Jcink was solely [*div align=center][*/div] while Proboards was [*center][*/center]. These days, Jcink can do either div align or just center, though I still see plenty of Jcink sites go "WE ARE JCINK, USE [*DIV ALIGN=CENTER], NOT [*CENTER]" even though... both work fine now (and have for quite a while). Dragon already stated this, basically, but I always figured this ^ to be why certain hosts weren't allowed (which is pretty lazy if you ask me. I was an advertising mod back in those days and making a few templates was not hard.).

@Rune, speaking on that subject, I've been really tempted to say "no Proboards" in requests before.  Self-hosting I don't mind as much, but there are two big reasons I dislike proboards enough that I wouldn't join one unless there's a really good reason to do so:

1. The damned aforementioned ad-block notice.

2. The strange and mythical anti-sexual content legend.  I've heard of sites being completely removed because of having any sexual content, even stuff that was pretty mild / PG-ish.

And then there's this other thing I heard that Proboards claims that anything posted on it is theirs.  It's been years since I've heard it so I have no actual evidence to back it up--or even if it was ever a thing--but it's always in the back of my mind.

WoL___dark01.png