Member Awards and Trophies - Types

Dragon

• Operations Mod

I've seen a few topics that discuss awards and trophies for members, badges and the like. People seem to enjoy them, so I'm considering bringing a system into Dead Before Daylight. 

So for those of you that run an award system, what kind of trophies do you give out specifically? For example, do you give awards for post count milestones like here on the Initiative - and if so, how do you handle those on sites that are account-per-character? Is it a cumulative award where, say, the player has 3 character accounts that have 25, 25, and 50 posts respectively - so they would have a 100 post badge on their OC account; or do you award per character account? 

As my site is an urban fantasy I'm very interested to hear how award systems on similar kinds of sites are run - are there awards for making certain species etc. However, I'd like to hear about any types of awards, what actions awards are given for etc regardless of site genre - that way this thread creates a pool of ideas that hopefully everyone can find useful. 

• Like 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

Hokay, so I have a few categories that I award to. Most of my awards have seven levels (1, 10, 25, 50, 100, 200, 500 of the awardable item).

• Post count: This is per character, and also per member account. I don't award for cumulative post count across all accounts. Members can just say "I have level 3 for x character, and level 5 for y, and level 2 for me, etc.
  • Posts in plotting forum: A separate recognition for those who actively reply and encourage discussion in our plotting and mini plots forums. Awarded to player accounts.
  • Posts in Introductions: A separate recognition for number of posts in the introductions forum, welcoming new members, etc. Awarded to player accounts.
  • Creating an in-character  status post: Awarded to character accounts.
  • Submitting to the thread highlights database: awarded to player accounts.
  • Submitting to the Tally timeline database: awarded to character accounts.
  • Giving reactions to content: awarded to player and character accounts (called Rambunctious Reactor. My second favourite title).
  • Getting reactions on your content: aawarded to player and character accounts (called Explosive. My first favourite.)

I also have some one-off badges people can earn, for things like listing themselves in the member directory, participating in time-based events, that sort of thing. :D

• Like 2

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

This is what I did on my last site and I'm pretty certain I'll be doing on my current one:

- I used the jcink award system so that the awards appear under the avatar.

- On DeviantArt, I found pixel art that was small and appropriate for the location, skin, and theme. I used these with approval from the artists, where necessary. (Some don't require approval.)

- For every time a character participated in an event, I gave the character the appropriate reward. The pictures I chose were simple gemstones, and when you hovered over them, it would display the name of the event the character participated in. I chose to do these per character in order to encourage people to develop and participate on a character-by-character basis. I'd rather have someone who has one character who participated in five events and develops with each one, then five characters who each participate in one event each and doesn't receive the growth for the other four characters.

I was going to do the same for the post count, but I never really found icons that fit well enough. Essentially, having one character with 500 posts shows more consistency and dedication than having 50 characters with 10 posts. And I want to encourage development over random character making.

- I was going to have OoC awards, too, but I never really got that far. That would be more for OoC participation, longevity, etc. Participating in polls, being around for a few months, plotting with lots of people, filling want ads, etc. I never narrowed it down as far as what they'd be for.

- One thing I likely wouldn't do is make an award for creating characters of a specific member group. It seems weird. I MAY make an OoC award for a blanket "made a character in a wanted group" rather than "made a dinosaur" thing, but I'd likely attach some other requirement to it, such as needing a certain amount of posts or threads or time on the character. Essentially, I like awards that display accomplishment, and while one can argue that creating an application is an accomplishment, it's also a pretty basic part if RPing. So is posting, of course, but in my mind, it's a bit of a hurdle people struggle to keep consistent.

I plan on implementing this on my current site in the near future. Need some good pixel art for post count, though.

Hope this helped in some way.

@Mousie - that's a lot! Where do you display them all?

(Sorry for double post. On mobile.)

WoL___dark01.png

13 minutes ago, Uaithne said:

@Mousie - that's a lot! Where do you display them all?

Under the avatar. The award levels replace each other, so only the highest level per category is shown. They're also listed in full on the member profile.

I use FontAwesome icons as badges. Each category has a particular icon, and it changes colours depending on level---from red through to purple.

End result is something like this (from a character account):

235c4f63b7465b5f4526fafb13174580.png

• Like 1

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

I did my awards per-character, and also had separate OOC awards for various things such as longevity, making art (either for another player, or the site, not for their own characters). I also did the awards for character abilities/skills and oh lordy was it tedious AF. We had six elements and each element had... 40-ish different skills, although characters could only have skills of one element. Because of how the site was set up though characters would earn them rather quickly and with the amount of characters on-site it got pretty crazy.

I've been debating implementing an award system for my in-progress site but I'm struggling with how to go about it, at the moment. Probably... Should've thought about that and added in possible sections to profile/mini profile -before- nearly finalizing skin changes. >.> Then there's also the issue of needing art and that takes time and I'm a bit wary of using pixel art on DA, mostly because I can't edit those to save my life and I do want them to somewhat fit in with the site as well. There's no skills/abilities system like my previous site so it'll be a lot easier to manage hopefully, once I get it figured out.

We have a lot.

Character declarations - What group they belong to, if they're in a relationship, if they're publicly known as X, etc...

Post Counts - 50, 100, 200, etc

Word counts - 500, 1000, 2000, etc

Events participated in

Number of threads in specific locations - Barfly, Outdoorsman, etc

Took a wanted ad

Related to other characters on board

Contributions to the site

Donations to the site

Plus we have a few goofy ones like an appreciation one anyone can buy and reward to someone else and one that costs a good amount of money simply to show off that you can. xD

They can all be seen in our shop which is here if anyone is interested.

• Like 2

• Operations Mod
1 hour ago, Rune said:

Number of threads in specific locations - Barfly, Outdoorsman, etc

I really like this one. 

For curiosity on functionality - do you require that those threads be run to completion to count to the award? Or maybe just past a certain point of progress? Or do they just need to participate in x number of threads in that location regardless of whether it dies after, say 3 cumulative posts? 

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

27 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I really like this one. 

For curiosity on functionality - do you require that those threads be run to completion to count to the award? Or maybe just past a certain point of progress? Or do they just need to participate in x number of threads in that location regardless of whether it dies after, say 3 cumulative posts? 

We operate on a "we trust you to make good decisions" format. Meaning, if someone thinks they've earned it, we let them have it. It's a little pixel award, not hurting anyone if someone has it!

Most people seem to count individual threads, completed or not, and have been very good about not abusing the system... Though why anyone would is beyond me. xD

• Cheers 1

I am officially stalking this thread for ideas because all of this sounds amazing and I had pretty much the same question as Dragon. 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I made a ton of freebie awards, some of them super silly like 'believes in aliens/ufos' and 'is a coffee-holic/tea-master'. I also have plot-focused and limited time only (usually events / future events) only badges. I also have secret badges that are awarded randomly. We also have an option for our members to add to them (they can make secret badges with enough points, or add to freebie badges if they want!)

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• Admin

Second tuesday of next week good with you? @Rune

• Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

@Rune, the link takes me to your site's store, but I can't see any of the badges.

WoL___dark01.png