Cherry picking Site Lore

dragonborn

I'm gonna try and keep this short. or as short as possible, bc I don't wanna accidentally drag anyone thru the mud.

tldr cliffnotes version, I have a member that is... seemingly cherry-picking my site lore and ignoring and or outright attempting to rewrite, only for themselves, the parts of it they don't like. every time someone asks them to change something, they get all up in arms about how we're stifling creativity and being rude and mean and are gonna drive people away, blah blah, now they apparently feel 'unsafe' because people keep 'yelling' at them. one did, tbf, but this player had gone around in circles w them for at least half an hr about a piece of lore, which they wrote, that was written a certain way on purpose and they had completely sidestepped the restrictions for, before bluntly informing them they weren't staff and didn't know what they were talking about. just the sheer level of insistence that they were right and the other player was wrong was almost enough to make me snap at them, it was just all around an admin's worst nightmare, and I wasn't even on until the tail end of it.

I'm stressed out irl, so I could just be being oversensitive about it all but just talking to them makes my blood pressure skyrocket, and idk what to do now. I want to work with them but I'm questioning if its even worth it.

• Like 1

that which does not kill me, had better run; because now im pissed.

You can find me on Simprovise

I feel like this is a one last chance kind of deal... You can't them them walk over you or talk to your other members and staff  the way they have been... You're more likely to lose players by letting then stay. Talk to them, make it clear that the world has been created in a certain way to make it fair for everyone and that no one else has an issue with the lore. If they stay they must follow the lore as it is written, and if they don't want to do that they can leave. 

Make it an official warning if you like, send it in a way that will give you written evidence that you have them a chance to play nice. If they can't do that. Then you ban them. 

At least that would be my course of action... -shrugs-

Good luck

• Like 2

Find Another Way

Teen Wolf, 18+, 10 Years Later, Canons and Originals welcome!

Ultimately, you - like all the other members (I hope) - are there to have fun, write and yes, be creative. That is really why we all do this. What you aren't here is to patiently, and from the sound of it, also repetitively explain that no, you can't do that because of X or Y or Z and all of those points are clearly explained in the site lore/information. 

I certainly hope, that as admins/mods/staff we want to help and make sure people feel included and encouraged to write with us but sometimes an individual doesn't fit. It seems very much like this individual is trying to fit their square peg into the round hole of your site - to use a fairly broad example. They might appear willing to engage, they could even be fantastic writers and drum up plots and excitement and just generally be awesome! - who knows? - but really from the sounds of it they are more interested in dramatically throwing their hands in their air, shouting creativity! As if that should somehow grant them a free pass. BTW, it doesn't.

If they want to write with the world/options they keep pushing for then they need to find a site like that, find a buddy to join them or just make their own. There are things they can do, none of which should involve stressing you (and anyone/everyone else) or making your blood pressure rocket. 

But, yes... point it out. I would recommend a PM as opposed to instant dialogue, it gives you a chance to read any replies, figure out what you want to say and not let your (understandable, at this point) frustration leak over. Explain this is a warning - make it final if you need to - and if/when they overstep again, then yes... it's time to wave the ban hammer. Don't feel bad about this, no matter what site, or how long it's been open... eventually this happens. Sometimes for very similar reasons and yes, sometimes that person then realizes they were being an ass. But the most important thing is that you, your site and your members can all get back to the original business of having the fun you wanted to have in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• Admin

I'm with the above people really. I don't think I'd give them a "last chance" or "ultimatum" personally. That's mostly because people like that normally have explosive tempers (I know I'm one of them). I'd simply advise them that due to their disrespect and constant attempts to work around the site lore that you believe they are not a good fit and to GTFO. I Mean obviously use better words but yeah.

• Agree 3
  • Preach it! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

You have to put your foot down on this. Hard. If they're playing your game then they're playing by your rules. If they have an application that isn't lore-appropriate, pend it and tell them why. If they don't want to fix it, guess they're not playing on your site! If they're approved but pulling non-lore-appropriate nonsense in threads, PM them and point it out. If they refuse to change it, lock the thread, it's done now because they won't play by the rules. 

(Granted I could never do some of this personally. I leave discipline to Rune because I am the softest marshmallow to ever squish.)

But yeah, it's pretty clear that they just want to be special, and it comes at the expense of your lore, your other players' enjoyment, and your hair which is either turning grey or getting pulled out from sheer frustration dealing with them. You're not stifling their creativity, and if being told to follow the rules makes them feel 'attacked', then how are they even surviving on the internet? 

Also seriously why do players even argue with staff? Yes, if you have something to talk about, feel free, but you're NOT gonna win an argument, dude. Staff always have the final say, and it comes in the form of a big, shiny BAN button. People are silly ❤️

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 3

If they feel "unsafe" they should leave and go somewhere they feel safer. You should help them come to this decision by banning them since they can't be assed to get over themselves.

• Love 2

thanks all. it wasn't unchecked, that was sorta the problem-if we'd just let em do whatever, we wouldn't have had so much fight out of them. honestly it all read like they were playing victim every time they didn't get their way. I was mostly just concerned I was being overly jaded and jumping to conclusions. i wouldnt have minded adding new stuff, some of their ideas were cool and may have worked well, but so it goes.

no matter. I got on tonight and theyd tried to start a fight w yet another member and the other member wasn't even being rude, like that was the most rational reaction to personal attack id seen in years, and I just told them to go. now I will hope they actually go.

Edited by nopewalker
  • I read this! 1
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Great Idea 1

that which does not kill me, had better run; because now im pissed.

You can find me on Simprovise

Guest Archaic Cyborg

If they're not conforming to the world as it's presented, which has sufficient info to use, then the player needs a clear warning to change tactics or they'll be kicked out. Why join a game if you're using only what you like and essentially rewriting the lore? Hoping they'll leave your site and never come back, regardless of whether they leave in a fit or quietly.

If they feel stifled creatively, then tell them to find another forum where they feel they can flourish. You have rules and plenty of members that are happy with them. You don't need this person. If they want to create their own lore, then they should make their own forum! It's totally time to give them the boot. I hope you telling them to leave worked. Honestly, if you haven't already banned their IP, I would now. Avoid any more drama with the banhammer.

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon