Forum chats

Lucky Cat

So, there are: Discord, cbox.ws, chatango, and shoutbox that I know of in terms of "forum friendly" chats to use on forums. Are there other chats friendly for forum usage that people use or does the aforementioned list about sum it up?

Edited by Lucky Cat

Okay so this probably doesn't count as a separate shoutbox service since it's basically just a jquery adaptation on jcink's default and by extension exclusive to jcink boards, but Dusty's jquery shoutbox is great. Seriously.

It gives audio notification (bring your own mp3 file) on new shouts, fixes the auto refresh (so it doesn't refresh the page) and gives you channels (such as IC/OOC/tags and the like) and some other stuff. Works flawlessly with HTTPS and works great in a webpage with an include key. I've switched to using it instead of cbox, because I will completely forget about the chat if I don't have audio notifications and it's already integrated with jcink's accounts. Guests can still use it and it saves me/my members from having to make even more accounts for things. Also has CSS classes/IDs so it can match each skin. While it's jcink exclusive I'm honestly surprised not many boards are using it, especially those who are using the default shoutbox in addition to a cbox/chatango. The moderation is done from your own ACP, too.

https://forum.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=27980

I've also seen a few others...

Xat - had a pretty ugly interface though (huge emoticons), auto assigned guest names until you signed in so you might load a page that had it and end up tagged Mark or Melissa and wonder what happened. So while it was used some, it's not common at all. (I haven't really seen it in a while... not that I'm looking much anymore though.)

Chatwing - Kinda like chatango but it had a bit better interface. A few cool extra features (like allowing people to sign in via twitter). Not that commonly used though given how people disliked chatango and people kinda (erroneously) viewed it like that.

Shoutmix - a very minimal interface, not super commonly used though.

There are probably 1-2 more I've seen, but they were even less common so I don't recall their names.

At this point Discord has largely taken over for a few reasons... Titan to embed it means guests can use it just like a chatbox. Plus it has the benefit of one account for every server (like chatango) but usernames for each server (so you can be <name> on one server and <othername> on another). And the whole voice /video thing is useful too if you're so inclined.

"There are three sides to every story... Your side, their side, and then somewhere in the middle is the truth."

Oh wow, I forgot about Xat. That one used to be popular in 08, or so it seemed. I remember those randomly assigned nicknames and the huge, huge smilies (they were so creepy!) usually made me run lol.

Another one I forgot about is iShoutbox, rather unmemorable though. I used it on an older site once and it was okay.

Don't some sites use Slack?

WoL___dark01.png

Yeah Slack is a thing, but with some of the latest updates the program started taking up too much memory. From what I've seen, most places that have used slack have faded it out in favor of discord.

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon