Shippers... let's talk about that.

BillieJoeIsCool

I might be a bit old fashioned, but the new fangaled way of replying to shippers (where someone posts on your shipper, and then in response you post on their shipper) just... I'm not sure if I can wrap my head around it.

If you prefer it this way, can you tell me why you like it? I like old fashioned shippers where you just reply to one thread, so you can easily read the conversation.

(Then again, I come from the era of plot pages where it was lyrics and you just chose the relationship from the lyrics and went from there.... anyone else? lmao)

I'd just really like an open conversation about different preferences for shippers. I'm willing to get the reply to mine, I reply to yours way, but I'm having a hard time understanding!

• I read this! 1
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Omg the list of lyrics thing.... damn I remember those! 

Anyway... I don't get it either... put the whole conversation in one place so you know where it all is and you can keep track of things easier... 

Or talk on discord... Hahaha 

Find Another Way

Teen Wolf, 18+, 10 Years Later, Canons and Originals welcome!

I..... Hail from the Dinosaur days where "shippers" by name didn't exist and forums had an OOC board dedicated to plotting and brainstorming. 

So for me it'd have to be something that's easily accessed all in one location, and coherent enough to read the conversation as dialog instead of bouncing around pages/boards. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

22 minutes ago, CovertSphinx said:

I..... Hail from the Dinosaur days where "shippers" by name didn't exist and forums had an OOC board dedicated to plotting and brainstorming. 

I was from the days where you registered an OOC account and just made a character in a thread to join the RP. There was a whole category and forums/subforums dedicated to it and the rest of the site had OOC sections. 

Anyway, I prefer replying in one thread myself.

• Agree 1

• Admin

Oh! I forgot to put that "group" plotting was also separated so it made things even more difficult if things were started in personal plotters and brought to group plotters.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I now have the GMM theme song in my head. 

As for the question: I loathe the “post in each other’s shipper” rule. Like Morrigan, I left a site I liked otherwise because of it. I need to be able to read everything in a flowing post by post manner, not have to chase replies down to understand or remember what was said. 

I think this came about because people were feeling left out of their shipper had no replies. Eh. Not something I care about really. Legibility is my priority. 

Oh and don’t try to get out of it by plotting via PM. Admins read your PMs and yell at you about it. 

Edited by Zozma
  • Fuck Yeah! 1
  • LOL 3

Reality is an illusion. 

1 hour ago, Monaca said:

I was from the days where you registered an OOC account and just made a character in a thread to join the RP. There was a whole category and forums/subforums dedicated to it and the rest of the site had OOC sections. 

Anyway, I prefer replying in one thread myself.

I was from the days where you didn't have any kind of onsite plotting, OOC forums and there was no indication as to who the person behind the character was. So nur? (Not sure what we're trying to achieve with the one upmanship?)

I personally, don't think that a reply to the other person's shipper rule is something that's growing as a trend? I certainly hope not! It seems to be relatively niche because it's such an inelegant "solution" to making all shippers look active (like Zozma, I think it's a non-issue) or making it easy to find all of your plots (like Morrigan said, tags anyone?)

• LOL 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I want everything in one place, in order to be able to follow. 

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

I like replying to each other's shipper because it helps me keep track of relationships other characters beside my own have. I can easily just open up character a's shipper and see how/if they've plotted with character b. Instead of having to look through a million shippers to see how some characters might be related/connected. The whole conversation might not be in the shipper I'm looking at, but it's more at-a-glance stuff that I'm interested in. I can pick up the details later in a PM or discord chat. 

I do understand wanting to keep the whole conversation in one thread though - having to jump back and forth can be real confusing. But when you post in each other's shipper, your shipper thread essentially becomes a tracker of all the characters you've plotted with so far, instead of having to hunt down your posts in everyone else's shippers. If that makes sense.

• Thank you 2

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

One shipper to rule them all. I'm old school so I love plot pages and if someone posts in mine I reply in mine and vice versa so I don't get lost on what's being planned out. 

rpgi-sig.png

+ :: c o m i n g  s o o n  :: +

Hi, again, folks! Let me go through and answer some things. I really like all the feedback!

8 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Those that do it? I think the reasoning, at least what was explained to me, is that it makes it easier for the other person to know that you've responded. However the sites that have these sorts of things have options for tagging (namely Jcink and MyBB). So if I'm tagged it really doesn't matter to me if it's in my plotter or yours. TBF? If it's in your plotter and I read it and get distracted by something in my life I'm actually more likely to forget about it then it being in my personal plotter, where it started, so I can re-read and remind myself.

People are selfish by nature and I think that's actually where the thought process comes from. That or tumblr.

I could maybe understand tumblr plotting, because that's exactly how it is, but as you said, the platforms I use (and even Proboards) have a tagging system. Most RPers I know are pretty good about using it, too!

7 hours ago, Zozma said:

I now have the GMM theme song in my head. 

As for the question: I loathe the “post in each other’s shipper” rule. Like Morrigan, I left a site I liked otherwise because of it. I need to be able to read everything in a flowing post by post manner, not have to chase replies down to understand or remember what was said. 

I think this came about because people were feeling left out of their shipper had no replies. Eh. Not something I care about really. Legibility is my priority. 

Oh and don’t try to get out of it by plotting via PM. Admins read your PMs and yell at you about it. 

To the GMM comment... that's precisely why I did it (I was watching GMM this AM while I was getting ready for work >.>)

Anyways, yeah. I don't understand why people get all butthurt if their plotters aren't plotted in, especially if they're actively talking to others about plots? I know I tend to get more annoyed with things when there's like, out of character plot sections / talk groups, but they're not necessarily plot areas.

3 hours ago, Sage said:

I like replying to each other's shipper because it helps me keep track of relationships other characters beside my own have. I can easily just open up character a's shipper and see how/if they've plotted with character b. Instead of having to look through a million shippers to see how some characters might be related/connected. The whole conversation might not be in the shipper I'm looking at, but it's more at-a-glance stuff that I'm interested in. I can pick up the details later in a PM or discord chat. 

I do understand wanting to keep the whole conversation in one thread though - having to jump back and forth can be real confusing. But when you post in each other's shipper, your shipper thread essentially becomes a tracker of all the characters you've plotted with so far, instead of having to hunt down your posts in everyone else's shippers. If that makes sense.

Quite a few shippers/plotters that I've seen have the tab/area for who actually is a friend/who the character knows/etc. and if you're super up on it, it helps. I don't really think knowing x or y character helps in plot pages / shippers / whatever you wanna call them, just for connections, because sometimes the plots you put down don't always work out or go through! But thanks for your input! that's a good way of thinking of these sort of replies :).

14 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

Is a shipper the same thing as a plotter? If so... That doesn't even make sense. It seems so disorganised and disjointed? Just keep plotting in the one plotter. :|

I mean, unless I'm missing something?

Shipper = Plotter = Plot page = all the same thing! Just new 'fancier' words for them, I guess?

Don't like 'em and don't use them!

We have a forum for character JP requests, but it's not being used so gonna make it go away. We also have a forum for adding to and discussing the current episode plot. The character plotting forum is going to go away.

What we do is read the character bios, look for likely connections, and toss out the idea in Discord. As we plot and plan a character plot, we pin those conversations in Discord for quick reference.

IMHO, 'shippers and plotters are just one more thing to keep up with instead of focusing on the writing.

• Agree 4

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

My preference for shippers is: no shippers. (But I will use them for some sites.) They feel too indirect for me and I've had more success with directly talking to people, even with as shy as I am. I also used to write on sites with a general ooc plotting/brainstorming board, that was mentioned, and those felt more focused since it was less fragmented and you could see what was going on overall.

In my experiences with plotters, they've done what they're supposed to, sure, but only for so long as people were new before they got acquainted and used other methods, then the board sat untouched.

For some places, their plotters always felt like it was all a formal dance and show of talking, rather than actual doing. They were in love with the idea of what could happen but never actually make anything happen. A lot of what a character would think of another character or how they'd hypothetically respond upon meeting them but never really threading, at all. 

I know I sound negative but I just think shippers work for some sites but not all sites, even if they're an expected feature now. It'd would be nice to see some sites branch out and use methods that would work better for them than do something because it's now the norm.

• Love 1