Open Coterie  ·  64 members

Book Club

What book messed you up?

Rune

Whether it broke your heart, you had a hard time living outside of that world for a while, it made you think or ruined your life.

What book just fucked your world up?

• Love 1

Good Wives,  by Louisa May Alcott. It's the second part to Little Women, though it was eventually published along with it.

Spoiler below.

Spoiler

Beth's illness and death has a devastating effect on her sisters, and I felt like I was losing a sister myself. Heck, I'm tearing up just writing this, and, when I read the final parts of her life in public, I started bawling my eyes out in the middle of the food court.

Despite ruining my life for a while, it was a delightful book, both Little Women and Good Wives, and I recommend it to those who want to have their lives ruined too who don't cry easily.

Oh, another one. Audrey Rose, by Frank De Felitta. It's a novel about a girl who's reincarnated too soon and keeps reviving her tragic death in the past life. It was pretty intense in the descriptions, and it gave me nightmares for a long time. 

I'm a wimp, sorry. >.>

Shady McShaderson

Battlefield of the Mind by Pauline (Hutchinson) Meyer

My hometown is the oldest center of Pentecostalism in the world.  Prosperity theology has also found shelter there.  Dad and Mum have believed that my physical disabilities are/were mentally caused.  While they don't think so anymore, for someone to tell poor and/or sick people that their circumstances stem from a lack of faith is unquestionably vile.

Edited by Jacob

• 2 weeks later...
  • Operations Mod

Johnny Got His Gun - Dalton Trumbo

inspiration for Metallica's song One. The music video for this song is composed of scenes from the movie adaption of Johnny Got His Gun which was also directed by writer Dalton Trumbo. 

• Agree 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

• 3 weeks later...

Shade's Children by Garth Nix. 

There's also a certain scene in Unwind by Neal Shusterman that gives me goosebumps. 

Reality is an illusion. 

• 1 month later...

I actually have a list on Goodreads for this. Standout is The Lovely Bones, which changed how I think about death. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR
On 5/2/2018 at 9:23 PM, Shades said:

Good Wives,  by Louisa May Alcott. It's the second part to Little Women, though it was eventually published along with it.

Spoiler below.

Reveal hidden contents

Beth's illness and death has a devastating effect on her sisters, and I felt like I was losing a sister myself. Heck, I'm tearing up just writing this, and, when I read the final parts of her life in public, I started bawling my eyes out in the middle of the food court.

Despite ruining my life for a while, it was a delightful book, both Little Women and Good Wives, and I recommend it to those who want to have their lives ruined too who don't cry easily.

If you're a wimp, so am I. . . Little Women is one of my all-time favorite books, it was the book that made me want to write and like you I sobbed just as much through parts of that character's story arc.

Alex: The Life of A Child by Frank Deford is another book that left me emotionally wrecked. Alex is the young daughter of Frank Deford, born with Cystic Fibrosis in in 1971 which is a death sentence. They give her two years and she manages to fight, and to beat that determined date, until she eventually passes at age eight. (note: none of this is a spoiler, it's all in the blurb) Needless to say, it was a difficult book to read and I did a lot of crying while doing so. I still recommend it though.

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien had several parts that left me a mess throughout the trilogy. The Stand by Stephen King definitely left me crying or just. . . drained emotionally at certain parts. Oh, and let me not forget The Fault In Our Stars by John Green which I can't even put into words how raw that left me after I finished reading it, but it took me a little while to get over.

There might have been others except not coming to mind at the moment so ya'll get these ones for now.

A Child Called It. Agggggggggg. I just remembered it existed and I wish that it didn't. Not to invalidate the author's experiences but because it's awful that he had to go through that crap at all. 

Reality is an illusion. 

• 3 weeks later...

Silence Fallen (the most recent in the Mercy Thompson Series) by Patricia Briggs. 

My love for Patty knows no bounds, but this book and River Marked KILLED ME. My tear gland will never recover. Also her short stories ... I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS.

b2vXT2.png