Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gota

A few IPS questions

So, I got IPS now and have been playing around for a while. There are still a few things I'm not sure about, so please bear with me.

1. So, I found out that you can manage blocks and added a few to the forum main area but if I go inside a forum, it's just the forum itself with no blocks. Is it possible to inherit the block layout or copy it from another page?

2. Talking about the main area, does the arrangement look fine? (I didn't do the theme yet, sorry if you get blinded by all the white) http://rp.soulowls.com/

3. Where can you change the site's background? I looked in themes and didn't find it.

4. Are some of the navbar pages redundant? Like, do people use Online Users, Calendar and so on? Which new ones should I make?

5. I have recent status updates in the sidebar on the main area but there is no edit option. (You can, however, edit a status update in your profile but not in the sidebar thing)

6. It seems like my friends didn't get an e-mail when they tried to register, so I had to approve them myself. Where can you fix that?

7. Do you know someone I could commission for a good skin? I could do it myself again but I'm no professional.

8. Can you change the birthday format to DD/MM/YYYY? It's that format everywhere else but the birthday in the profile

9. Should I leave the whole Activity area untouched?

10. Do you have some other advice? (After looking at what I currently have)

@Gota  Looking good!

1 hour ago, Gota said:

1. So, I found out that you can manage blocks and added a few to the forum main area but if I go inside a forum, it's just the forum itself with no blocks. Is it possible to inherit the block layout or copy it from another page?

2. Talking about the main area, does the arrangement look fine? (I didn't do the theme yet, sorry if you get blinded by all the white) http://rp.soulowls.com/

3. Where can you change the site's background? I looked in themes and didn't find it.

4. Are some of the navbar pages redundant? Like, do people use Online Users, Calendar and so on? Which new ones should I make?

5. I have recent status updates in the sidebar on the main area but there is no edit option. (You can, however, edit a status update in your profile but not in the sidebar thing)

6. It seems like my friends didn't get an e-mail when they tried to register, so I had to approve them myself. Where can you fix that?

7. Do you know someone I could commission for a good skin? I could do it myself again but I'm no professional.

8. Can you change the birthday format to DD/MM/YYYY? It's that format everywhere else but the birthday in the profile

9. Should I leave the whole Activity area untouched?

10. Do you have some other advice? (After looking at what I currently have)

1. Someone here might be able to provide you with code that will allow the forums to inherit your sidebar blocks throughout. Personally, I like being able to set different ones or not have them at all. For example, I like a full screen on the posting window and for reading posts without sidebar distraction.

2. Layout is looking good.

3. Deferring to someone who knows what they are doing.

4. I actually do use most of the Browse options in the navbar + I have added others - like a link to our characters' pages, etc.

5. I'm not sure since I don't use the status block, but I think that can only be done in the profile.

6. If you go into your Admin CP, at the top - in the search bar - type in what you're looking for. It will bring up options. I find that easiest because different Admin components are in different sections. So, if you type in Login or Registration, it will bring up all of the areas where those settings can be found.

7. Most everyone here makes their own. I am one of the few that fall under IPS for Dummies and decided to purchase and customize a theme. There are several really good people. I love IPS Focus because the themes have lots of great features and the support is amazing. IPS Focus will also do custom themes on request, but I've no idea of the cost. Here's the link: https://www.ipsfocus.com/. I use Titan on my site.  Another plus for IPS, they have lots of pre-made custom.css snippets to help make your site more unique.

8. See #6, but I am not sure if there's a setting for it. I didn't find one.

9. My people use the Activity menu alot. I took it away and they whined quite pitifully so I put it back.

10. Prowl the Invision Community forums! Lots of people have asked for and gotten customization help. They are a gold mine. If you're good with code, read Mousie's Pages Guides here.  I'm coveting her automatic Playby Directory from her site! 

• Thank you 1

1. At this time, no. We are looking into Sidebar and block enhancements for the future. Each block is set at the node level that you set the primary one at this time. So you set it on the Index page it's only on the index page, set it at the topic list page then it will be on all topic pages (this includes Clubs).
  2. Looks good.
  3. The background color can be changed in the theme itself. Click the edit pencil next to the theme and go to "Front-End Colors" background is the top in that list. To add a custom image you need to edit your custom.css by clicking the < / > icon > Click on the CSS tab > Click on "custom.css" under the custom header on the left and add the code for your background.
  4. This is all personal preference. You'll note I don't have Online Users on the Initiative but I don't feel like that is necessary.
  5. The default status updates widget sucks TBF. It doesn't even parse URLs or images. We use this one: https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8900-bim43-status-updates-widget/
  6. This could be a setting issue or an end user issue. Did they check their spam folder? Additionally, how quickly does your server send out mail via PHP? You can change the outgoing mail settings. Look for email settings and you can switch to SMTP and change the email addresses (which may be the root problem).
  7. https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers/
  8. Edit the language and find the key.
  9. Activity is actually a great thing to modify to fit your site. I recommend, for a roleplay, "Recent IC Posts" "Recent Characters" "Recent OOC Posts" etc.
  10. I recommend changing "New Posts" to "New Topics" as you can order that by recently updated but that's personal preference. Posts are going to show content from the posts there and if someone goes on a post spree it will all be of the same person.

@Gota

• Thank you 1

@Stormwolfe Thanks for the help! So, Titan changes the entire look dependent on the background image?

@Morrigan

3. Er, what code would I need for that? I have no idea about coding.

5. Great, gonna use that when I get money on the Paypal. By the way, is the renewal of plugins necessary or is paying it only good for updates?

6. How do you configure that? And is SendGrid no good?

8. I think that might be too difficult for me. Well, it's just something minor, anyway.

9. How would you do recent characters? Has that to do with pages?

10. I changed it to recently updated, do I need to change something else? Like, is the sort direction supposed to be descending?

And thanks for all the help!

1. Blah
  2. Blah
  3. body {
    	background: url('URLTOTHEIMAGE');
    }

I recommend you use the resources. To do this click the arrow > Manage Resources > Add new > Upload the image > search for it and copy the code. Place the code in the spot that says URLTOTHEIMAGE instead of an actual image.

4. Blah
  5. Renewals are necessary to download future versions for bug fixes etc. Personal preference on if you want to renew when it comes up or only when you need it.
  6. You'd have to pull your SMTP information for one of your emails from your server and input the information. I don't use SendGrid because it's not free.
  7. Blah
  8. Actually I think this is a bug. I'll report it.
  9. It would be an activity feed either from a specific forum or with pages. Activity feeds are pretty flexible and slowly getting better.
  10. Descending would mean most recent first. So yes.
  • Thank you 1

So, you can decide to pay renewals later instead of after 6 months (or a year) or do you have to pay full price again if you do it much later for a new version?

And the birthday thing might be a bug since every other date format is DD/MM/YYYY or at least day/month, so it's strange that only that one instance isn't.

I think that's it for now but there will probably be more in the future, so thanks for now!

I can't get the background to work no matter what I do.

body {
    background: url('{resource="backgr2.png" app="core" location="global"}');
}

Is the current code.

(And it's supposed to be an image that repeats itself, the one on the left and right http://soulowls.com/)

Edited by Gota

I made a new theme and now it seems to work... although it looks kinda weird (not because something went wrong but the background doesn't really fit the fact that there are "gaps" which are fine), didn't expect that. Maybe it looks better to just have a color as the background and use the image as the header background.

4 hours ago, Gota said:

@Stormwolfe Thanks for the help! So, Titan changes the entire look dependent on the background image?

Yes, the IPS Focus themes change the entire look of your site and are highly customizable via custom.css as well as their built in features. There are numerous theme providers that do awesome work. I've only used IPS Focus so I can't give you good intel on their support.