• Spotlight RPG
  • Spotlight RPG
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sparky Muse

"i straight-up DARE you to troll with my species list!"

Soooooo, I thought of this today, and I couldn't stop laughing about it, even though I also feel stupid for not realizing earlier this problem which I came up with a solution for (and thus the brainstorming issue).

Bit of a backstory on the issue: on the site i'm designing, I'm making several species (members can make their own later) and each has a specific set of Elemental Auras their character can choose to have, as not all species can be every one of our Elemental Auras, meaning for example a Dryad (plant person) cannot have a Fire Elemental Aura, for example. I also have several species-specific abilities, that are exclusive to a specific species. See, here's what I didn't think of until today:

What happens when a person makes a character that is either half-species A and half-species B, making their character a "half-blood" on our site, or three-quarters species A and one-quarter species B, which makes them a technical "pureblood" of species A as "pureblood" of any species is determined as being at least three-quarters that species? Assuming both Species A and Species B are species-exclusive abilities? This also keeping in mind another reason for defining it as "pureblood" like that is because in order to take a major "position of power" (such as being a noble) of one of the Four Ruling Clans, one has to be a "pureblood" of that species, so this could possibly open up SOOOOO many things.

In a way, it means if your your parents were a pureblood faerie and a half-blood faerie, you, as a 3/4s Faerie, would be a "pureblood" faerie.

My solution was this: if your character is a mix of two different species, and each species has different potential species-specific abilities and allowed Elemental Auras, your character can pick what you want your character to have from EITHER or BOTH sets of species. So, let's say, for example, you have a 3/4s Naeko and 1/4 Levian character. Naeko normally cannot have Water as an Elemental Aura. However, because your character is a mix, you can technically have a "Pureblood" Naeko with a Water Elemental Aura and 5 Levian-exclusive Species abilities. Or, you can have maybe 2 Levian and 3 Naeko Species-exclusive abilities. 5 options are the most any character is allowed to take under the "Species Abilities" category, by the way.

So, if I do it this way, I'm basically metaphorically telling members, "You know what? I want you to take our various species lists, and I dare you- no, I outright CHALLENGE you, to troll with our species system." Here's my feedback question: Is this a good idea? Because this thing has got me excited. And what things am I missing in my thought process (as in, what haven't I thought of) if I go this route?

Edited by Sparky Muse
  • Love 2

Allowing your members to play with species hybrids and powers is always fun! Uniqueness and creativity are often found lacking on a lot of fantasy sites nowadays, and that's something i find very sad. This seems like you have a good system with some nice wiggle room!

One thing i would ask: Will you allow greater hybrid combinations? I do on my site, but i don't really limit abilities too much (as long as they're balanced); i actually have a three -part hybrid with a four -part daughter, haha!

Just remember that if you allow hybrids, this question is eventually going to crop up. Good luck with your site, it sounds awesome!

• Agree 1
  • Love 2

It's an interesting idea, and if there is a way to keep track of the ancestry and the calculation of what parts/powers comes from what and to what proportion, then it can lead to very interesting diversity, and situations. 

I'd perhaps ask members to discuss the hybridation with an admin or moderator when they intend on creating an hybrid character, so all parties can know clearly how this works like you explained here, and how it can apply in the situation of which species they picked. But I guess it depends how interested people are in the idea, if they can get the hang of it fast, and if your number of new character if not too high for private one on one chat about this to take too much time to be productive.

I'm also very curious as to if you will give a special "social" status to hybrids. For example, if they would be appreciated, envied, ignored, disliked, or whatever fits with the universe and the way the species deal with each others. For example, say, will one character of a more water aura society will be stereotyped as more of a hothead if they have fire elemental abilities as well?

I get stereotypes between groups can be a heavy theme to play, but curious if you think there would be some too?

• Like 1

On the subject of social status.....

The way I figure it, on the site a "pureblood" is considered to be at least 3-4ths part of a single species. Anything less than that is considered to be a "Mixed blood" type of person. Since Faeworld residents can live up to 300 years, and have grown up with and around magic, I keep thinking that in some ways their thinking would be much more forward than some of ours. For example, in the huge city where this rp will take place, it's a setting where, you could work somewhere with, say, 800 employees and not a single one of them might be the same species. The Humanimals have as more species than we have non-extinct animals; the Dryads have as many species as there are plants; and then there's a lot of mythical/legendary species to take into account as well. In a huge city, species and magic combined are sort of pretty much the same thing as individuality; they don't see one race or one gender as better than another, because there's too many things to classify and keep track of, and because of magic and various species abilities, and more to the point of it just doesn't, to their kind it doesn't matter. But, and this might be just my way of thinking, but I believe it's said that when two people come together, one is always going to be superior in some way.

So, the point of that is, yes there's going to be a bit of discrimination, and a social class. See, one benefit of a longer lifestyle and this power series is, a long time ago, the nobles would have realized, if they breed outside their own kind, it keeps the "genetics" fresh, and introduces new powers and abilities into their species, but then again there's also a "purity of the species" mentality, especially among the nobles. Once every five or more generations, if somebody has a "wild child" who had a kid outside of their "own kind", might be considered socially acceptable, and the child, a "mixed blood", wouldn't be seen as "pure of blood" and would be discriminated against as "not a member of this species". More than that is considered dishonorable and disgraceful, or probably would be. So, for example, the grandparents and grandchildren might be considered "pureblood" if the parents are a pureblood and a "half-blood" of that species. The nobility are supposed to be the strongest and the most pure of their kind; they would still have bred outside the species, or would have had to, in order to bring in new abilities to maintain that strength, over the course of centuries. Honestly, it's a whole interesting concept that could lead to a debate for hours.

On the subject on breeding charts, for that I was going to try and explain how the system worked and then let people make their own mixes. I kind of want to see what people would come up with.

I have been taking a break for a little bit, though, to try and catch up on some things, but I'm hoping to be able to resume work on the site before or early next month. It's really a lot of work for one person, to be fair.

What you could do is in a situation where the a character is 3 quarters one, and only 1 quarter of another, they can only have the abilities and auras available to what it's mainly made up of. With characters that are half and half, you could have it where the abilities and aura that are exclusive to one or the other unavailable to them or make them have a watered down version of it so that they aren't as strong in it as a pureblood would be.

Or to make things simpler, you could disallow mixed raced characters altogether, or restrict it in some way.

Personally, I dislike hybrids. 

This sounds like a pretty cool way to do them though. Especially if there are enough hybrid options that you can't create a hybrid race (i.e. half-elf, asimaar, fey'ri) that has it's own stuff.