Faceclaims & Gender

Anonymous

I'm looking for some help. The site I manage seems to have an unspoken rule on our site that is basically "Use the gender & pronouns of the faceclaim". I say this is unspoken because we have had no official rules on the matter, but the players complain if a new member joins and the gender pronouns don't match what the actor/model has requested to be used for them IRL.

Someone recently joined that used a MtF (Male to Female) transitioned model as a gender-fluid character. All of the imagery they use is from the time while the model was still identifying as male. I found evidence after some research that the model previously went on record as preferring male pronouns, then some interviews that were more recent that they transcended gender, but since they have transitioned fully to female and currently use she/her pronouns. The player is staying true to their character concept of gender fluidity and has swapped the use of their pronouns as how the character feels, therefore they use both he/him & she/her depending on the character's gender in the moment.

I've received complaints about the character and nobody wants to play with the new player because of THE UNSPOKEN RULE being broken and them not staying true to the faceclaim's identity. After a week of deliberation, I spoke to the player about it asking their intent and if they were willing to use a different faceclaim. The player is unwilling to use another faceclaim, despite my suggestions at us finding a genderfluid model or actor (even though I researched for hours to find many, and to find interviews to confirm their genders) and they want the character archived. 

Although this particular instance has ended (in an unsatisfactory manner let me tell you I really liked the character concept and wanted to see more genders represented on the site) I feel like this problem will only continue. I am happy to confront my complaining players about their weirdness on this issue - because I know for a fact they are all more than happy to change their faceclaim's sexuality, so it feels a bit, idk hypocritical to get all over a new player for their alteration of a faceclaim's pronouns even if that faceclaim is trans?

What do you think? Do any of you have restrictions on faceclaim use particularly if the writer is changing the face-claim's biological sex, sexuality, gender identity? How do you handle unspoken community rules that affect new players?

Anonymous poster hash: e3cb9...e84

It's been years since I've staffed, but I keep to traditional views of gender and sexuality.  They aren't different in my eyes, which only a minority have heckled me for.  I cannot bow to the latter group at all, nor to face-claims.  Really muse on the door you've opened.

Edited by Jacob
  • Agree 3

From personal experience, I also once used a model (possibly the same one) who had transitioned publicly to female but had a large body of pre-transition work which involved androgyny, as a character who was gender fluid. I remember this because I specifically stopped to ask the admins if it was okay to do this, because the character used primarily male pronouns. Thankfully, the staff and the particular site were okay with it. If they hadn't been, I would have changed because making people uncomfortable wouldn't be worth keeping the playby, for me. 

As someone who is also hyper aware of how sensitive some people are to these things, including myself, I have to chime in and say that it might just have been that your member base were made uncomfortable by what they viewed as misgendering because they themselves are sensitive to the prospect IRL. Some of these things despite doing our best to separate IC and OOC are just too closely meshed to really do that. It doesn't make your members assholes, it makes them human. 

• I read this! 2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Faceclaims are how a character looks like, not their identity. Worrying about what pronouns the ACTOR uses isn't unlike saying they must have the same worldview, orientation, likings and whatnot... in the end you're not playing a character, you're playing the celebrity and I suppose that was not the theme of the game.

• I read this! 1
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

• 2 weeks later...

I only want to add in that I'd check to make sure that the PB seems okay to have themselves represented in that manner. If the person outright stated discontent at being referred to as male in the past (or something), then I can see how declining that particular PB may be the best decision. Like when actors don't want people using them as PBs period.

WoL___dark01.png

3 hours ago, Uaithne said:

I only want to add in that I'd check to make sure that the PB seems okay to have themselves represented in that manner. If the person outright stated discontent at being referred to as male in the past (or something), then I can see how declining that particular PB may be the best decision. Like when actors don't want people using them as PBs period.

What does it matter? Are you playing your character (who just happens to look like that actor) or the actor himself with his life? If you are playing your character (which should be the case), then it's just a role which has nothing to do with the actual person's life details. How many actresses had, once or another time, a role disguised as male? How many young actors had played women's roles, especially in the time when women weren't allowed on the scene? It is nothing different.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Elena said:

What does it matter? Are you playing your character (who just happens to look like that actor) or the actor himself with his life? If you are playing your character (which should be the case), then it's just a role which has nothing to do with the actual person's life details. How many actresses had, once or another time, a role disguised as male? How many young actors had played women's roles, especially in the time when women weren't allowed on the scene? It is nothing different.

I might not have been clear (I'm often not when trying to write on mobile).  There are some celebrities who clearly request not to be used as PBs, and we respect them by not using them as PBs.  In the same vein, if this PB clearly requested to not be associated with a certain gender, it would be respectful to not associate them with that gender.  I don't know who the celebrity is so I don't know if there were any of such requests made, but I figured I'd add it in here since most of my other thoughts on the topic were already discussed.

WoL___dark01.png