cbox location

A survey that might help with my new coding endeavor: where do you like to have your cbox? Togglable? Always visible? Do you mind if a togglable cbox overlaps with the other elements while open? Additionally, what do you think about just having a button that opens the cbox in another window or page? The con is that you don't see what's going on at a first glance, the pro is that it doesn't get in the way.

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

I like it on the bottom or top. Closing it to minimize distractions is good if it’s constantly on the page. Otherwise i

like it just on the index, not anywhere I can read while posting. 

• Agree 2

Reality is an illusion. 

bottom or top, and toggle able.

I really dislike when a c-box is designed in a way that covers other site elements regardless of where it's positioned. boxes to the left or right often cover part of the site, and do not scroll with the site so I find them too intrusive.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, featherstone said:

A survey that might help with my new coding endeavor: where do you like to have your cbox? Togglable? Always visible? Do you mind if a togglable cbox overlaps with the other elements while open? Additionally, what do you think about just having a button that opens the cbox in another window or page? The con is that you don't see what's going on at a first glance, the pro is that it doesn't get in the way.

1.  Always visible.

2. Top or bottom. If in a sidebar, it needs to fit and still be readable! Most sidebar cboxes have teeny-tiny text.

3. Hate it when any element on a site overlaps any other elements - looks cluttered. Prefer good, clean layouts.

4. Don't like the button idea. 😉

• Like 2

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I dislike toggles because I either don't know that they are there, or they pop up when I don't need them. I prefer them to be static in a sidebar or at the bottom of the screen if they are used at all. What I don't like are c-boxes that move with scrolling or anything that obscures an important part of the screen. However, I don't use them or pay much attention to them, so it wouldn't bother me if a site didn't have one at all.

• Thank you 1

At the bottom of the index (so front page only). 

I don't like them in sidebars because they feel crowded to me! And I always feel like a toggle implies that the admin feels the same way, but rather than reposition the cbox to somewhere less crowded, or code so that it blends neatly, they just add more lines of code as a kind of band aid.

As an aside, if it must be in a sidebar, I prefer it on the right. The left side of the site is the first place I naturally look so the first impression I have of your site is:

Hi guest!

Hi guest!

Come join us in Discord guest!

Not the best introduction!

I don't care if the cbox is in a link that opens a new window. Buuuut I don't use them, which probably why I just want them at the bottom of one page!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• Admin

I prefer a discord widget at the top of the site. If you can do it, just on the page index. Albeit that I don't chat in these boxes anymore.

I find cBoxes super annoying.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

On my old site I had it originally at the top then had it as a toggle at the bottom right corner.

On SK now, its a toggle that comes in from the left (though that's not necessarily a cbox so much as it is just the board's Discord).

rpgd-sig-banner-white.png

The stage is set. The war is on. Now we just need you.

Static sidebar. Not too picky about whether or not it toggles.

I hate it at the top or the bottom.. Also not fond of it covering anything, but I operate on a big screen a lot of the time so that's usually not a problem.

Ours is on the side, toggles but doesn't cover up the board. I feel like as long as it has it's own place and doesn't toggle over something else, location doesn't really matter... However, some new people may not scroll all the way to the bottom to find it.

I also prefer a discord widget, preferably one that also allows guest users to chat! That way you don't have to join discord if you don't want but those that do don't have to have that and discord open at the same time. 

As for placement, I honestly prefer a dynamic layout? Like, if your screen is bigger than X size, I put it in a sidebar to take up some of that empty space. But if it's smaller, have it down at the bottom. You don't see that too often, but I like it. Other than that, I prefer something togglable, that way I can ignore the chat when I want to not be distracted. If it's not toggled off, I have trouble focusing on my writing! But really, anywhere that doesn't look cluttered or interfere with other board elements across different screen sizes is good for me.

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

• 2 weeks later...

I personally like it when the cbox is always visible in a fixed location, usually on the left or right-hand side. Fixed is helpful for me so that it is always visible while scrolling (so I don't have to keep scrolling all the way back up to see the new replies). Having it built into the coding so it doesn't cover up part of the board if you use toggles is also really helpful!

On 6/7/2018 at 4:21 PM, Sage said:

I also prefer a discord widget, preferably one that also allows guest users to chat! That way you don't have to join discord if you don't want but those that do don't have to have that and discord open at the same time. 

Okay so admittedly I am an old grandma who is still new to Discord, but lots of folks are using the widget nowadays. I guess I am just so old school - I think the Discord widget is ugly AF and I love having a good old fashioned c-box. 

I guess I am really that out of touch with what's hip in RP nowadays. I'll just go get my walker and mosey on out of here 😂

I have not joined sites because I didn't like the toggle cbox overlapping the main board.  Especially if minimizing it requires analyzing the nearby graphics and layout in order to find a button that may or may not be in the same general area and definitely isn't obvious.

My preference is to have a cbox that is at the bottom or top of the page.  I used to not mind the sidebar cbox, but nowadays most of them either overlap the main board or they make me have to scroll to the side to access the main board.

WoL___dark01.png

• 2 weeks later...

@missmanyface There are ways to style some of the discord widgets to match your site's css. I know Titan offers that capability, but I'm not sure if there are others! 

As a side note, I was also old-fashioned and preferred the cbox, but after using discord for a while, my opinion has changed! It definitely changes the game.

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

Toggles and overlaps with both make me immediately click out of a site. I'm not a fan of "new pages", but it isn't a deal-breaker since I often have a few tabs open at the same time anyway. 

I don't have a preference for placement as long as it's easily accessed and I don't have it hovering in my face as I'm scrolling down the page. 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg