Would you pay for this?

Sadrienne

There are very few people who I'd pay to give me a review.  One of them would be you, @Mousie.

In all honesty, I find that board reviews can be very useful, but most of the time they're not.  People don't have the ability to provide feedback that the board needs but focus on what they think should be implemented.  As a reviewer myself, it's been hard to differentiate the two.  Keeping the board's goals in mind is really challenging when there is a difference in opinion.

For this reason, I'm inclined to say that I would not pay for a review for more reasons than just financial.  I've received so many low-quality reviews over the years from supposedly high-quality reviewers that I just don't hold reviews as a priority anymore.  Plus even if I have to scrape around and wait patiently, I find that there are enough free options to get what I need.

I think that to get my money, a review service would have to offer something in addition to the standard free review services.  Not sure what that would be, but I'm not enticed by the timeliness or efficiency of a paid review enough to actually pay for it.  (I'm also pretty "frugal" IRL, so take what I say with a grain of salt.)  Part of this comes down to the fact that I, personally, do very detailed reviews for people's sites, but I'm used to doing this service for free.  They take hours to do one properly, so I totally understand why you'd want to be paid for it.  But besides a guarantee that it would get done and that the reviewer would actually, heh, look at the site, what else is there for someone shelling out $25?  To me, that's a lot of money.  It's appropriate for the time you put in, but I'm having trouble justifying spending it for something I could ultimately get for free one way or another.

Also, if you do decide to do it (which I'm not saying you shouldn't, by any means), take a look at the wider market.  As people mentioned in previous threads, forums aren't the only places to RP these days, and folks are creating more and more communities through social media sites.

EDIT - somehow this posted on its own.  Like I had the mouse elsewhere (away from the post button) and my hands weren't even on the keyboard as I was reviewing my post.  Strange.

Edited by Uaithne
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

WoL___dark01.png

On 6/3/2018 at 3:09 AM, Mousie said:

n of what their site is, and what it should be... most importantly, how to get there! And as usual, there will be space to look into any specific concerns/questions the admin has.

Because it's such a detailed report, and I would intend to spend around 2-3 hours on each one, I don't feel it's something I can offer for nothing. 

I'm considering the following pricing structure:

• Full report as-is: $35 AUD (roughly $23 USD today)
  • Additional documentation for analysis: $5 AUD for 2 (about $4 USD)

In terms of time and effort, it's a ridiculously low price---but I understand that the RP community isn't exactly cashed up either. I want a price that is accessible, but also reflects the work that will go into the reports. Prices are in AUD as I need to know exactl

I'd be willing to be your first customer. 

WLE97c7.gif

No, I wouldn't pay - because you can get this for free. Yes, I have the money. 

The reason that I wouldn't pay is that there are sometimes people who will go through a website and do a review as complex and in depth as that, taking 1-4 hours, and for free. It just happens that when you get a website review, you don't know who you're going to get. Some roleplay resource sites allow you to pick and choose who reviews your board  by posting in the owner's specific topic/"shop" for their free and specialized review.

Basically, your service is overpriced because it isn't free.

I understand where you're coming from, I've tried an awful lot over the years to try to monetize things, from tutorials, help, art, even webhosting. At the end of the day, roleplay is largely a hobby, and pretty much the only things that are sellable are items that are highly specialized: art and skins (which is art). If you are a digital artist or a HTML/CSS artist, you might be able to sell a skin from $40-$80 USD, and custom art in the same price range. If you're in that skill set of very high capability to elite level, then there's definitely room for you to make money. 

But honestly, roleplay in general isn't a place where you're going to make anything near minimum wage. For that, you go to freelancing websites like Mechanical turk, or other areas of employment such as Uber/Lyft. 

Edited by xexes

zootopia.gif

A relaxed, dark and gritty roleplay based on Disney's Zootopia. 

Honestly, I think there are pros and cons to this idea. I think an in-depth review is great, and can definitely help people out! Not to mention the cost isn't bad either. But, I think like others have said, it may not seem totally needed to some sites. I don't see the harm in offering that as an option though!