• Spotlight RPG
  • Spotlight RPG
  • Spotlight RPG
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Morrigan

Announcement Spotlight Challenges Retired (for now)

This has been a long time coming honestly. I hold all of the hats on the initiative and Spotlight challenges is the heaviest of them all. I love to run them but I run them all solo and have done for years. As of right now, without a spotlight challenger to help offload some of the burden they are retired until I have fewer responsibilities and more inspiration. All current spotlights will be available until their end of month time frame (as per what a spotlight challenge provides).

To better understand this decision these were some of the major deciding factors (we are providing these to you so you can help us know if you want to bring this feature back in the future):

• Quantity of participants - How many people joined
  • Quality of participants - How many people join and actually complete or participate in challenges (for example the May Birthday Bash, how many people post in the info thread versus how many post in the actual participated in the thread challenges).
  • Participation value - Whether the participation requires effort or not.
  • Ability to participate - Graphics versus writing challenges and whether or not it was made for everyone or not (for example our paint exclusive challenges meant for everyone versus just the PS people).
  • Willingness to participate - This often had the highest want but the other qualities above actually zero this value out after over 2 years of trying.

Sadly, after polls and attempts the most popular challenges are staff chosen ones. Basically the staff chooses and people win. We both don't find this fair as it encourages a staff bias, but it also excludes all of our staff from participation.

Overall, we think the spotlight challenges are not worth your time because it has been shown to not be a valuable asset. So at the end of this month the Spotlight challenges are officially retired on the Initiative.

You are free to debate, attempt to convince us otherwise in this thread and we will consider that information for a possible reincarnation of those challenges.

Thanks for understanding.

• Here's a Pinkie Pie (Better than a like... it's a Pinkie Pie!) 1
  • Love 1
  • Thank you 1

I want to flail my arms and make up a mountain of reasons not to retire the spotlights even though my own participation is routinely less than stellar. But, as much as I loved them, I can't reasonably argue with the reasons for shelving them. So instead I'm going to leave a string of sad faces   😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥 and hope they're able to come back at some point. 

• Agree 1
  • Love 2

Why not pick themes and do member chosen ones in polls? 

Like, historical to, people post their boards, then those go into a poll and the top two get spotlights? Less work for you, certainly. 

Honestly, if you went to that method or similar I'd happily take it over.

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

Unfortunately @Rune that makes it into a popularity contest every month which is something we never wanted to do.

Most contests and challenges favor those with large member bases. The purpose of spotlight challenges were to give the little guy more of a chance to win. 

• Agree 1
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Unfortunately @Rune that makes it into a popularity contest every month which is something we never wanted to do.

Most contests and challenges favor those with large member bases. The purpose of spotlight challenges were to give the little guy more of a chance to win. 

I think the fact that there is such a diverse collection here might eliminate that...

Plus, you know, most of the people on here are admins so if they don't fit into a category they would have to vote outside of themselves. 

What're you going to replace the chunk up top with?