How has it changed?

Gothic

I have to so totally agree with the tiny fonts!

When I first started roleplaying, it was on a site that was more simulation/game. The RP was more about the plot and the story overall with gamemasters and all that. I've tended to notice, and it might not be but I tend to think it is, that the way of the GM's in RP is declining. More and more players create there plots with other members and move things along. And I tend to like both ways, especially when one has a most awesome GM.

*shrugs*

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

I think from what I have seen, some people have gotten more strict, whereas others have really gotten lazy with it. Some roleplay isn't even considered roleplay anymore because it's just text talk and not story format like most forums do. But, to each their own!

4 hours ago, SithLordOfSnark said:

What do you mean by text talk? I mean, most of my posts are between 50 and 100 words, because I really don't care about word count and just want to write.

Like, people who join forums that state they are literate/para roleplay, and people who do shorthand. So, not following the guidelines mainly. So, like a forum where you are expected to write story format and paragraph, and people do "-action- dialogue lol". That type is fine, but not in forums where people want to do literate full-on writing. If that makes sense? Sorry, I'm terrible at explaining myself. xD

I was wondering how RPing has changed for you as you have gotten older?

I feel like my writing has improved dramatically, for one. The biggest challenge when I was starting was trying to adapt my writing style into a form that fit in with RP writing, if that makes sense at all? Also, I was always afraid to write with someone who was much more advanced than I was but after mustering up some courage, I found that they helped me improve!

Also, someone mentioned this earlier, but I also used to write actions in asterisks, which is typical for chat based RP's. I would do it in everyday life though and I'm sure other people loved it. -_-

Are there any plots or scenes that you would or would not write about? 

I feel like I've written a lot of plots and scenes that I swore I never would, typically because they were simply more of a challenge. I feel like I've never had too many opportunities to write out more action type threads though and would love the chance.

Do you still like using plot pages or shippers? (Or whatever they're called)

I do, actually. When I first saw them, they made me nervous because my plotting thoughts were out there for everyone to see (oh no!) but then I just got used to it. Now, even if nobody replies to them specifically and plots elsewhere, it's nice to be given general direction on plots that the author is looking for instead of starting from scratch and doing intro thread after intro thread.

• 3 weeks later...

How has RPing changed for you as you have gotten older?

I’m way less hung up on activity or stressing myself out over posting. Not to say I stopped having those moments completely but I’m better at stepping back from them. I’ve a better sense of what I enjoy and what I don’t and I find I’m less judgmental about certain things compared to when I first started out. I used to think longer posts equaled better posts but I’ve come to appreciate that you can write a short post and still have it be great.

I don’t know, it would really depended on who I’m writing with. If it’s a partner I’ve known for a while and have a good rapport with then I’m open to trying more difficult subject matter.

When I first started roleplaying it was on blogs where plot pages/shippers weren’t commonly used. It wasn’t until I started playing on forum that I saw them and I really liked them. Still do in fact. I feel they’re a great starting point and a place to share ideas. The only major flaw for me is that some folks post on them without a plan on following through or can be too caught up in locking down a plot (usually romance) before the writing starts. I like to have a plan but I also like the freedom to see where the writing goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when you're plotting had to have some fancy coded template full of ombre coloured song lyrics that were loosely tied to what each category was. And people basic had to apply under particular titles? Like...best friend, on and off again lovers, etc. It was super weird and super limiting and wasn't really about developing stories, it was just about...I think they would be this. And then you like....filled the slots in? Hilarious. 

I love a plotting page, but I want it to be a run down of who my character is, where I want them to go, possible ideas I have for them, possible past relationships etc. Then it's just a really nice back and forth to give the character some depth and back story and work out how they can fit into a site. If you get on a site with people actively interested in plotting they seem to work a treat. 

• 1 year later...

I miss the days of shipping when you'd use song lyrics and people would pick what the song lyric that best fits the ship 

The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway

• 1 month later...

Realizing when I had actually been a douche, and when I was justified in my intentions, and learning to discern those situations as they happened. Better RP experiences. Have also just started avoiding some things.

I realized then that all the stuff I read about on this site would eventually happen to me. The organic shipping, the nemesis you didn't mean to make who REALLY wants to kill your character, the building up to villainy, the juicy little details that get lost in translation when you don't experience it for yourself, the choices your character has to make. And it's started to get there.

I especially like when one of my character's terrible personality traits start to gather consequences.

• Love 1

• 4 months later...

I've never been a big fan of plot pages or shippers. Ever. I don't mind plotting to have characters "meet", but I don't like plotting their whole life before I've even written them. I lose interest extremely quickly and end up rping with just a few people with that character if that becomes the case.

I tend to worry less about the length that I tend to write,  although on average my posts tend to be a lot longer and I tend to enjoy writing longer posts, too. 

I actually tend to have small/medium sized posts on average, but I find that works best with my limited time I get to rp and it helps me enjoy it more. I love to write and get a good thread going, without feeling like I'm scavenging for bits to add to my post every time I'm writing.

I've found that I'm much more about enjoying the experience vs. writing as much as possible or getting replies in as quickly as possible. I foster a great OOC relationship with my rp buddies & I think that's the best there is for me. I'm a much more relaxed rper now and I like a compromise where everyone can get what they want out of it without feeling pressured.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

When I was younger I would casually throw in drug-use or violence. Now that I am older and have seen substance abuse---I can't even drag it NEAR a rp. Some stuff is best left out. 

When it was the rpers coming from Invisionfree, things were better. Then the mentality of Tumblr started to bleed into the community. Now it's difficult to navigate without potentially setting off a minefield because someone doesn't agree with your headcanons or face claims.

• Agree 1

spacer.png
V A G A B O N D C O D E
Guidebook • Canons • Site Canons • Discord
AU STAR WARS RPG • 21+ • Jcink Premium • 2+ years

• 2 weeks later...

Oh definitely! I've been RPing close to 20 years and I've seen a lot change from board skins, to sites having a cbox, to signatures being a big thing. To more simple things like lax word counts, no sigs, profile apps. Dot html was not a big thing back in the day but now it's everywhere. It's really amazing to see. For me personally, I feel like I wrote better when I was a bit younger than I do now. I definitely have improved as far as using descriptive words in my writing more.

The only thing I would not write about is incest. That's a huge no no for me. 

If they're there or part of an application yes. If not then not necessarily. I've seen development boards become a huge thing now and have kind of taken over the shippers. So I don't mind them

I was on the hellscape that was tumblr for the last seven years. Had to go there to escape a situation on jcink forums that wasn't ever going to end otherwise. Anyways, coming back to jcink, I found that some of the crap that makes tumblr so bad a place had found there way to jcink. Not all of it mind you. People can at least separate characters from their face claims and don't send you harassment for using a face claim that twenty years ago voted republican one year. How do they even know that?

-Well, when I started, most people wanted to actually write a story. Develop characters. Create worlds. Nowadays it's all about smut. About 95% of the time. No type of real writing or fleshing out characters. Same thing with romance. Characters have to fall in love by the fifth post.

-Canon x canon I would never do. I don't like playing someone else's characters. 

A request thread you mean? If so, yes. If not...I don't know.

I personally feel like my roleplay posts have gotten more detailed and verbose, but only with people I really trust or for opening sentences. Otherwise, I hold back on the detailed front.

"Let's think positive!" - Maya Amano, Persona 2: Innocent Sin