How has it changed?

Gothic

I was wondering how RPing has changed for you as you have gotten older?

Are there any plots or scenes that you would or would not write about? 

Do you still like using plot pages or shippers? (Or whatever they're called)

I was thinking on this today and I was wondering how everyone else felt as well. 

I tend to worry less about the length that I tend to write,  although on average my posts tend to be a lot longer and I tend to enjoy writing longer posts, too. 

I still hate tiny font. UGH. 

I used to feel guilty if I was sick and needed time away from the site which would tend to aggravate my anxiety. I'm more confident in my writing and knowing that not everyone is going to like it. So I listen to supportive people rather than those who don't believe. I used to post all night but now my favourite posting time is the early morning when I'm less likely to be distracted by people or things. 

How about you? 

• Like 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

In a positive light, I tend not to care as much about how fast people are at responding, just so long as they do. This is a good thing.

On the other other hand, I'm not as open or as keen to write with people as I used to be. Experience has left me cautious, but I wish I had the openness I once had. I'm a bit more picky about the kind of things I write about/want to rp, but that's because I've done certain things too many times to be interested in them and want to do other things.

• Agree 2

• This has not really changed for me. I have never been willing to write rape or graphic sex. I'll never write it. This is not a condemnation of those that do. It is just a not me thing.

• No and I never liked them - well, to be honest - I had never heard of them until I became active on the Initiative. We have a forum up if people want to do plot requests or whatever, but most of our plotting happens in Discord. We keep a tracking thread up for our site-wide plots so people know what is OOC knowledge and what isn't.

Tiny fonts, UGH! They make life miserable for the old and half blind. The other fad that needs to die a horrible death is low contract themes - pale gray text on light backgrounds. This has become prevalent with many commercial sites and it is agony!

I confess, when I was new to RPing online - and please understand this was back in the Yahoo Groups days (early 1990s maybe?) - I had a sad tendency to allow myself to be dragged into RP drama. Like Member A throwing a shrieking fit because Member B did not write what they wanted Member B to write or perceive their character how they thought it should be. I don't do that now. I'm likely to say, "It's imaginary characters in imaginary worlds - get over it and move on!"

Throw a fit on the board or public chat at your own peril!

I have also gotten more into telling a story via interactively writing it with a small group. I am no longer all about getting a hundred members. At all of my games, I look for 8 or 10 really good writers that are willing to write more characters.

I know longer worry about who is active and who isn't. If they are not holding up tags, no worries at all.

Have I evolved or devolved as an RPer? Who knows! 😉

Good thread!

• Agree 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I know my strengths and weaknesses better, which allows me to be honest with myself and others as far as what I'm willing to commit to and what I'm not.

The genres haven't really changed for me, but I try to branch out within the genres, whether it means writing a slightly different topic or trying a new character.  However, I'm much more conservative in the threads I take because I have less time, so I'm not as willing to be in 30 threads at once.

Instead of focusing on length (which has always been in the back of my mind even though I hate it), I focus on content within the thread.  Sometimes I get hung up when I don't post as well as I think I should.

• Like 1

WoL___dark01.png

These days I'm less willing to do things that I want/feel I would. I used to throw myself into anything that friends suggested because it sounded good. Or would allow myself to be talked into it by others. If I don't want to do it, then it would be a no. I'm also better about not trying to talk others into doing something because I think it would be a good tale.

Do you still like using plot pages or shippers? (Or whatever they're called) Nope. Nope. Nope. Never did. Still don't. Mandatory templates of any kind are a no from me. Just never been good with the things and many of them are so damn hard to read. So that hasn't changed. 

I used to be super self-conscious of how I wrote but I'm not so much any more. I don't worry over length so much. I'm more relaxed with things.

I'm still learning to understand that numbers aren't everything, but still want a little more than I have. 

I'm also not pressing to be caught up in a day. There's other things in my life that I enjoy just as much so I know I don't have to be standing right on top of things. 

For me, there's still a lot I can get better at, but everything is a work in progress.

• Like 1

spacer.pngDecadence

All right, so when I started out, I exclusively role-played canon characters from video games and anime. It took me a long time to branch out and realize what original RP was all about. I remember it opening my eyes, the first time I joined a "real life" face claim game (because before that, like I said, I had always used canon characters from drawn medias--Fire Emblem, etc). The first character I played was a premade/canon that somebody had created and I remembered having a LOT of fun creating the character with the help of the admin from the site.

From then on, I've gone on to preferring original role-plays. I held onto canon for a while (2017 even) but at this point, I'm totally divorced from the idea of roleplaying canons anymore. Original only.

Also, I used to do chat and IM RP with the asterisks. *jumps* But then moved into forums. When I took that leap, I thought I HAD to write over a thousand words per post. I reveled in the compliments I got for my super long, amazing posts. But now I'm like, "Here, have 100 words." It's not that I don't still write some long posts but I've come a long way... I don't tend to write as much introspection as I did before, which was what made up most of those 1-2k posts. I try to rely more on showing than telling (but I don't think telling is as big a sin as some writers make it out to be). 

I've also come to dislike over plotting things too much. In the old days, I'd make up these super intricate plots and then when things didn't work out, it would completely throw everything I had planned out of whack and I lost my interest in the character and the plot. I like to think I've become a lot more flexible in that regard. 

• Agree 2

Reality is an illusion. 

I still hate tiny fonts and I love plotting. I use plot pages but not too often. On my site they are optional.

I am a planner and I hate writing something without direction. I lose inspiration in that case. The immensity of "whatever" blocks me, and I am not there to play pretend with my characters, but to write a story with other people, which means all the writers' objectives must be met collaboratively.

I think I have no problems with any plot. Just with the way it is written. (I still write 2-2-2 and I stick to it. In my 9 years of RPGs I wrote only one M thread and about 3 R+, and it was done with the intention to show that I can. Yes, I can do it but I don't like it, so... no, thanks). There can be rape and violence scenes, if the story needs them, written on PG-13 style, with nothing too explicit and having to deal only with the emotional effects.

How did I change? I am way slower, I can't help it and I hate it at the same time.

• Like 1

My characters have gotten more diverse (in terms of who they are).

I enjoy the actual writing more, which tends to result in longer posts (not obnoxiously long!) in some circumstances.

My genre interests have shifted as well. More eldritchy or dystopic sci-fi. My interest in medieval plus magic has vanished, it used to be my bread and butter. Guess the bread has gone stale for me!

I've also realised that people RP for different reasons - or different things are more important to them. It's not a bad thing, but I think that it's important to realise what's most important to you and then find a place that's managed by people who have the same focus.

Are there any plots or scenes that you would or would not write about? 

I've grown warier of pvp plots, I'll only do those with people who are more interested in story telling, not more interested in their character being badass (I'm probably selling such people short, but this is how I conceptualize it). I gauge that by the sort of thing that the player talks about - their character's personality and things around it? Or do they, I dunno, talk about how their character killed some people. (These things aren't mutually exclusive. It's just about levels of importance.)

Same with smut! I used to write it with everyone and anyone (characters willing) but I realised that people were writing with me because of that, or that that was my primary appeal. I don't like that so as a general rule, I'll fade to black.

I do! Not the ones with templates, but I find them useful as a springboard for more ideas. I appreciate that the community has generally moved on however, so they're not necessary for me.

• Like 3

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

My interests have changed, mostly. I've also become a LOT pickier about what I'll join and what I hard pass on. Some of the things I joined in my teens, I would X out of so fast now. My characters have changed a lot; I don't play the same archetypes I did back then, but, my writing? Not really. I may not be afraid of posting like 100 words, if it's all I need, but my writing is still pretty heavy on the introspection side, and... my characters don't tend to hold still, either. Which is amusing, because IRL, if you're talking to me, I'm probably a statue the whole time. I'm also less upset over leaving threads sit, and posting to threads in the "wrong" order. I go where the inspiration goes. Bite me. ... I also have white characters now. I know. Amazing. They used to all be either black or Hispanic.

As an admin specifically, though, my inner concept of success has drastically shifted. It used to be like, WHAT DO WE WANT?? ALL THE POSTS AND MEMBERS. WHEN DO WE WANT IT?? LIKE LAST WEEK. I just opened yesterday but it's dying already!! And now I'm just, Are people still having fun? Does it feel like a chore? Are you babysitting over half the players? Yes, no, no? Okay then. We're good.

Here's the thing. If I know the person well enough, and I trust them not to push beyond *my* personal boundaries, I will write literally anything with them. Even things that I have personally dealt with in my life and that make me uncomfortable or bring up traumatic memories. I actually let one of my closest friends play something out in a thread that should have been harder for me than for him, but HE was the one that got uncomfortable about it, and funny enough, he's also the one that freaked out and had someone else interrupt it early. xD I was like I'M FINE and he's like ARE YOU SURE, LET'S JUST - I GOT IT, I WILL SAVE YOU, and in retrospect, this is why I love him. ... side track. Lol sorry.

Yep. When I first ran into them, lordie were they confusing, but I've come to accept they're a useful tool. But here's the thing, not all sites create a community that *uses* them. I've seen sites where the plotters/shippers are constantly being posted to, and that's it. I've seen communities that post in them, and then go do stuff with it. I've seen communities where they're there, but nobody posts to them. Each has its own merits, and I don't begrudge any of these types of site for the way they operate.

But listen, if the other option is, some random Joe PMs me? Bye. I need either plotters/shippers, or I need open threads to be a legitimate site culture-supported means of getting people posting with you. I can't do this PM people thing. When I'm out of my element on a site I'm unfamiliar with, with no one I know on it, I can't even post on the board half the time without an hour-long head-pep-talk. Yeah. Pretty bad. I know, I'm picky. I'm alright with that, now.

• Like 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

Okay so let me start by saying that this is coming from an old lady who's been roleplaying for like 20 years (ugh...)

This isn't so much about forum roleplays now, but I tried my hand at Tumblr 1x1 roleplays for a while and I gotta say - I felt like I was a grandma who didn't understand anything. The obsession with face claims is something I still don't understand and - quite frankly - get annoyed with. I understand that people have a preferred face for certain characters or love using a particular person, but basically to say "I'm not joining a RP unless XXX is free!" just seems downright silly. There is also an obsession on Tumblr to just ship faces with no regards for plotting or story and I don't get that at all. 

I guess what I've learned is that I'm totally still an elitist bitch who wants good stories and good plots over anything else. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

One thing that I have evolved to doing, maybe more so for my own personal attention spanning...is keeping threads under 1 page, 2 at max. Most times (as my annoyed writing partners can attest to) I'll post 3, maybe 4 times and then end the thread, most of the time naturally. I've noticed this ups my enjoyment, while also having a feeling of progression and I often don't lose muse in these threads. 

• Like 2

WLE97c7.gif

2 minutes ago, ObiWanJabroni said:

One thing that I have evolved to doing, maybe more so for my own personal attention spanning...is keeping threads under 1 page, 2 at max. Most times (as my annoyed writing partners can attest to) I'll post 3, maybe 4 times and then end the thread, most of the time naturally. I've noticed this ups my enjoyment, while also having a feeling of progression and I often don't lose muse in these threads. 

I totally get that. I was 100% "that person" way back in the day that would try to keep a thread going forever and ever just because I felt guilty for ending it or whatever. Since then I think I've evolved as a writer and roleplayer and I find it much easier to let a thread end naturally (sometimes shorter than one may have wanted) instead of trying to drag it out. Some threads can be a short conversation that's only a few posts naturally, some can be a novel naturally. What I've found helps me a lot is that I've stopped trying to force them to be novels. 

• Like 2
  • Preach it! 1

You ain't kidding. I try to view every "thread" as a scene in a movie. If the scene drags too long, it loses its impact. So...I think that also helped me reach that goal. Good to know i'm not the only one! haha

• Agree 1

WLE97c7.gif

Yeah, definitely don't like tiny fonts still as you've said. 

I haven't been RPing for that long - maybe around 2 years by now? 

I don't think I am as into writing any kind of sexual scenes as I may have been say a year ago? I'd much rather fade to black now and let imagination take its course. 

I do like using shippers - but on our board we mainly just use a "ship it" chat on discord to ship our characters. What I have started using is a thread tracker... I've found this to be super helpful though sometimes I forget to update it!

rsz_rsz_new1.png

It is the year of the 125th (Winter) Hunger Games. There is no District Thirteen. The Capitol is in complete control and the rest of Panem must obey.
Index // Rules // Plot // Application // Want Ads // Link Back // Discord