Plagiarism that isn't exactly plagiarism

Anonymous

Recently, I came across a jcink site that basically ripped off all of my board concepts, some of them still keeping the names I named them, basically referenced our rules and board information (in the same order, but isn't copied word for word), and adjusted it to fit their site. Is there anything that can be done to report such a thing? I understand if it were copied word-for-word it'd be directly plagiarism, but since it's copying ideas and our basic structure of our information, can anything be done about that? 

Thanks!

Anonymous poster hash: 0f5a7...0e1

Probably not. 

But if they can't be bothered to type their own stuff up they probably aren't going to be able to keep their site around long. Make note of who the admin are and ban them from your board (Jcink allows you to ban names. If they have their emails listed somewhere, bonus. Ban those, too.)

• Love 2

I'm sorry that you're going through that anon 😞 it's really sucky. But pretty much what Rune said - you probably wont be able to get any action on this. VirusZero wrote a guide about this a while ago:

If I were you, I would just focus on making your forum the greatest and ignore that other forum. ♥️

• Agree 3

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Some things might not be plagiarism, if they belong to the same genre. I was also accused of having plagiarized a site's  board names, when in truth there was the same genre, with some traditional expressions which were normal to exist as subboard titles (Letters of Marque, Crew Manifest, Articles, Codex, etc.). Some of them we used for different things than them, but not inspired by them, simply by the pirate and privateers lore. 

Other sites I discovered later (or which were made later) had also many things like mine, but I knew better than considering it plagiarism. One can't reinvent the wheel in the same genre.

• Agree 1

• Admin

So, I figured I'd weigh in on this because I've dealt with plagiarism claims a time or twenty, being the admin of a site like this. I take that stuff very seriously and have banned sites out of my directory for it however I'm going to give you the most annoying thing that I get submissions of when it comes to Plagiarism claims.

People that see copying where there are similarities.

This is quite literally the bane to my existence as an administrator having to investigate these things. Just because they look similar doesn't mean they copied anything. The Roleplay realm is large and certain things are repeated so often that similarities are inevitable and eventually you're going to run into someone that has a similar vision that you do and that doesn't always mean plagiarism in fact, it rarely does. I don't recommend banning anyone until you've actually discussed the issue with the "offending" site or have someone with fresh eyes look it over to determine if you're right that they are plagiarizing you. However, throwing out accusations without proof is problematic for both sides and can and will end up with lost members if not resolved in a mature and respectable manner.

• Agree 1
  • Love 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.