Guests and Discord

Kit the Human

We were chatting about this in discord and I thought it might be topic worthy.

Do you invite guests into your discord? Why/why not?

If you invite guests into discord, do you require that they join as a member within a certain time frame? Why/why not?

What about members who become inactive? Do you clean them out?

If you're a member, not a staffer, what are your preferences on the above?

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I prefer my site to actually be heavily centralized around the discord. All of the OOC interaction happens on discord as opposed to the forum, and the forum is more of a giant log book. So I invite guest, affiliates, everyone comes to the discord. I do clean out inactive members but that is only inactive members who haven't accepted my terms/rules. As long as we know what you are here for, then you can stay as long as you want. 

• Preach it! 1

rpgdbutton2.png&key=dfb05af7bfa27396287d83219050c087a693d5129f138b5d126d1f2f5979e350watchaffiepurple.png&key=00171f06b95e74ffa2ed833f2f78f69c54c8d62932cebe6c4f5169ccd7f9c713
HOME // FORUM // NEWSLETTER // DISCORD ] 

A permanent invite link is available on my site. Guests often check the discord to see what the community is like, just like they might check a chatbox prior. Discord is a good place to ask questions or gauge if the site is a place they'd like to join.

If they stay around to rp it shows, meanwhile those who want to just chat or lurk will eventually have a discord role that recognizes that they are there to watch rather than rp.

We do activity cleanouts once in a while, but with heavy forewarning so members of the discord can speak up if they want to stay.

We use a guest friendly Titan embed rather than a cbox on site. They're welcome to join us in the server without commitments.  I think peeking in on a site's Discord gives a great idea of the community.  Our sites doesn't have any activity requirements, we just reach out after 3 months of no activity to see if the player is still interested. We'd probably clear them out of the server if they weren't interested. But usually people leave the server on their own before then if they don't plan to stick around/life gets busy. 

Our members have been great about putting up LoA's or retiring from the site, though so its not an issues we've had to think on much. 

I'm also new to the staff, so as a member I was satisfied with the way things were done. I just didn't like the idea of randos popping into the general chat channel and seeing the personal life things I write with friends there. Others agreed  so guests that are just feeling us out from the embed can only see our guest friendly channel. 

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

Guests are allowed in mine.  Since it's our main hub of OoC activity, it's the best place for them to gauge the community and ask questions about the site.

I do not require them to join as a member within a certain time period, nor do I clean out people from the discord.  I have an "active" usergroup where I put everyone who has made a character, and if their character is archived, then the member is removed from that group.  Maybe one day I'll clean them out, but in a way, I feel like I'm pushing people away if I delete them because they haven't posted in a few weeks.

I've never been a member on someone else's Discord (besides the Initiative's, that is), so I'm not sure I have an opinion at this time.

• Agree 1

WoL___dark01.png

Yes, we invite guests to the Discord, and now with the embed, they don't even have to deal with it any differently than they would a Cbox.

We don't require people pick up characters, because the community is naturally curious and they keep asking and offering help anyway.

If a guest joins the discord and then doesn't speak or interact with us for a few weeks, we'll clear them out.

E5zAKhe.gif

3 hours ago, Jones said:

We use a guest friendly Titan embed rather than a cbox on site. They're welcome to join us in the server without commitments.  I think peeking in on a site's Discord gives a great idea of the community.  Our sites doesn't have any activity requirements, we just reach out after 3 months of no activity to see if the player is still interested. We'd probably clear them out of the server if they weren't interested. But usually people leave the server on their own before then if they don't plan to stick around/life gets busy. 

Our members have been great about putting up LoA's or retiring from the site, though so its not an issues we've had to think on much. 

I'm also new to the staff, so as a member I was satisfied with the way things were done. I just didn't like the idea of randos popping into the general chat channel and seeing the personal life things I write with friends there. Others agreed  so guests that are just feeling us out from the embed can only see our guest friendly channel. 

We do the same as this. It’s new so we’ve never had the issue of deciding whether to boot people who haven’t left of their own accord but from what I’ve seen of discord so far, most people remove themselves from servers they don’t want to be on themselves. Since most use the app and don’t use use the widget- I’m assuming most people would want to uncluttered their own server list if they’re not active somewhere so I’m not sure it will be a problem to deal with. 

vzcOoJ.png

• Admin

I'm a discord-a-holic. I love sitting on site's discords. I see the most fun things sometimes. I've been on some sites discord's for.... as long as I can remember and I pop in and tell them I love them, read some of their insane posts and things and then pop out. Like on @Death Kitten's discord I popped in to see this:

c6b3d24a6b03979f38663b381da05122--celebs

Made my morning.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I usually prefer to keep guests to one room in discord, be it either the general chat room or a guest-specific room. That way there's less of a chance for people to stir up trouble or disrupt the flow. Plus, people say things in discord general chat they may not want guests to know about. Like personal details or something. 

I don't think I've ever actually cleaned out inactive discord members, though! Mostly just bc I'm lazy af, but would do it if I felt the need. I like the idea of having an active label for those currently rping tho! That way if someone's inactive, they can still be a part of the discord if the want.

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

Ah, another pro when it comes to Discord for guests is that you don't miss them half as often as when they pop into a cbox. 

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

I have a permanent Invite Link on my site. Not that we're large or anything, but I treat my Discord exactly like a C-box: just with more options to categorize. 

Also, I don't mind at all if people want to lurk the discord; sometimes lurkers turn into RPers if they get comfortable enough with the community. Especially being  a small site, where a Guest's first reaction is "Oh there's only 3 members, this site is gonna die in a week". Maybe after popping the discord they come back in a week and see that we're all still truckin' along without a concern and decide to take the chance on helping a baby site grow. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I own my forum and I am open to being flexible about these things in order to make things work better for everyone. Currently, we just changed our rules from only members having the Discord, to the Discord now being guest-friendly. Our rule is that if the person joins in the Discord, they are expected to join the forum, or at least express serious interest in joining, in about a week's time. We just don't want people coming in to only chat on Discord, but disregarding the actual forum and becoming a full part of the community in both areas. Of course, if an established member is only chatting on Discord and not the forum at all, leaving characters and threads inactive, etc etc, they get a warning and then get removed temporarily for inactivity. Though, I have been wondering if the one week rule is reasonable, or a bit too strict. What do you guys think? (I love reading this feedback, thank you for making this thread!)

We have a permanent invite link on our board.  I think it's a good way for guests to check out the member base and rarely anyone uses the cbox so it is a better measure of activity (if we're going based on chatting alone which is a bit silly because forum posts are obviously where the activity is most needed).  While members are not required to join our discord, I have noticed that while we do have a very active discord, it hasn't actually detracted from posting.  I think those that do go on the discord do seem to get more hyped about the board and posting on it than those who stick solely to plotting forums so I'm pretty pleased about succumbing and adding one to our site.  If I post in rp requests and the like I will usually link them to the discord because it's a good way to get a feel, ask questions, etc, but I also like to have the cbox too in case discord feels like too much of a commitment.  As mentioned, I definitely am going to notice a guest more easily on discord than in the cbox.   We have no rules stating people must make a character within x amount of time, but I usually end up clearing the discord out every few months.  When I remove people, I usually make a point of telling them that we're just cleaning up and they are welcome to rejoin any time.  

royals_rebels.gif

Guests are welcome in the discord because it's a way for them to gauge the community. 

I do not expect any guest to join ever. They can take as long as they want, and if it's their jam, they can just hang out without needing to join. I just don't think that there's any harm to letting them hang out if they want - it's flattering! I do have some member only channels for the more private chats, but all the important stuff is available from the forum.

I mentioned in the discord that I had a couple of members who took months to actually write up their app and join. I respect that they have other things going on in their life and I love that they were comfortable with taking their time.

I don't clean out. When I first opened I did ask myself how I wanted to deal with people who become inactive. I decided I would not clean out purely because I think it would feel like I wasn't welcome back if I was kicked. I trust people to clean out their own servers if they've lost interest.

Also, like @Sage, I'm lazy as. Can't be assed doing any extra work to clean out people manually (or set up a bot to do it for me.) I've got better things to do!

• Like 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

Except for some of our episode plot updates, bios/apps, etc., pretty much all of our OOC activity is on our Discords. Anyone and everyone is welcome. There are permanent invite links at both of my RPGs although I have stopped doing battle with WidgetBot and TitanEmbeds.

We welcome guests. They can browse, chat with us, or just lurk. If they eventually decide not to join the RPG, that's fine too. I rarely boot anyone from our servers unless they are being a major problem.

So, if y'all wanna drop in and visit, you're welcome! 😉

Also, Discord is our only live-chat option. I am not going to maintain both a cbox and Discord. It's Discord all the way, baby!

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!