Dealing with the cookie cutter

Honorem

So, I've had this experience before, but I thought I perhaps haven't always dealt with it in the right way.

Basically, I have an app that is a copy and paste job. No reference to the setting, and a generic bio that could be lifted and placed into any fantasy setting. No reference to where or when they were born, or anywhere else for that matter. The only reference to an actual place is 'the Academy in the city'. Ok, what Academy, and what city?

My draft PM is:

'Hello there and welcome. Unfortunately your application needs some work before it can be approved.

You will need to take a read of our lore at <link here>, and better integrate your character into the setting. For example, there is no mention of where they were born, or any other location or quirk of our setting. The only location actually mentioned is 'the city'. You'll have to specify what city you're referring to, and similarly flesh out the rest of the application.

Kind regards.'

I don't know, to me it comes across as kind of mean, because it's basically saying 'I know you didn't read shit, so go do it' kinda thing. Is there any better or simpler way to express this?

Kind regards and thanks in advance.

Hey, not a bad draft!  I'd say send it like that, or if you want to come across as more perky and friendly, revise it to something like

"Hey, welcome! Your app is alright, but it's a bit vague - why don't you try checking out our lore page and work some more details into your app? You can always contact $victim1 or $victim2 for help."

Really depends on how much you wanna keep this new person, lol. I think what you wrote is fine.

• Agree 3
  • Great Idea 1

Glub glub.

I'll +1 the previous poster here.

Since this is a new member, I'd go for a less formal and more friendly approach (speaking of the side of the new member who made a mistake, the more formal note would leave me feeling a bit nervous), and definitely point out lore and open up the door for them to ask questions (either from you or someone in your staff) if they have any.

This way, it sounds more like 'you made a mistake, it's okay, let's work on it' than 'you obviously didn't read shit' - even if they didn't. I'd assume this person is coming from a place where they have a character they love and thought would fit in your setting, and go in with a helpful approach. If they refuse to read, then it's kind of problematic.

Hope that's a bit helpful! 

• Agree 4

Shady McShaderson

You could wait to see if they are still working on the app. It might be that they've not had a chance to fill it out properly and are still thinking about the background of their character and such. If they say it's complete, than I think there's a problem. It could be that they want to play in the genre that your site is in, but havn't bothered to check out the details. (I'm sure that a couple of times I've had one where they think a general reference to fantasy without any details of the fandom and setting is enough.) Hopefully, they'll be agreeable and change it. But look out for things that don't quite fit or seem off, where there's references to things that don't make sense for your site - once I found that a newcomer had just copied and pasted things from fandom wiki sites from different fandoms to form part of their app.

• Agree 1