Are you a desktop or mobile RPer?

Deep Sea

Desktop or mobile RPer?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Icewolf said:

I only use my laptop. From the few times I've used my phone for web browsing, I find that the phone is so clumsy and unreliable that it's not worth attempting to use twitter or post in c-boxes with it. I don't know what tablets and ipads are like since I don't own one, but there is no way that I could ever write a proper post using my phone.

Yes, but the laptop is mobile too, since you can write with it in the park or anywhere else. It's not as if it kept you tied down in a certain location, you can take it anywhere!

4 minutes ago, Elena said:

Yes, but the laptop is mobile too, since you can write with it in the park or anywhere else. It's not as if it kept you tied down in a certain location, you can take it anywhere!

If the laptop is kept at home and nowhere else is it still mobile? If so then I'm a purely mobile RP'r. 😛

At home I am writing at the PC. The laptop is to be used outside the house.

• Admin
55 minutes ago, Elena said:

No. Mobile is exclusive to tablet or phone. While you can port a laptop they are not considered a mobile device. A mobile device is something that can access both mobile (or cell) web service OR wi-fi. A laptop, while they can do this with an extension is not considered mobile.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

1 minute ago, Morrigan said:

No. Mobile is exclusive to tablet or phone. While you can port a laptop they are not considered a mobile device.

Gotta agree with Morr on this one. People are more prone to taking their phones or tablets out with them than a full laptop. Also, people who for whatever reason don't have a home PC but a laptop instead to be kept at home...well, it might as well be a compact PC at that point anyway. Since it never leaves the home. While I agree laptops can be taken other places easier, people could just as easily take their pc's with them to places. It's just not as pretty looking or socially acceptable.

• Agree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

Heh. My definition of mobile comes down to screen size. basically, anything until ~13" I would consider a mobile device.

Glub glub.

I bought a laptop exactly for its mobility, because one can't actually take a PC outside, given that a PC has no battery, and needs permanently a plug and a cord. And yes, it is common to see laptops in parks, meeting halls, cafes...

If you don't want to consider it mobile, it is OK. I replied with "Both" considering that I use both a laptop (outside) and a PC (at home).

Edited by Elena

9 hours ago, Hysteria said:

I once spent an entire year roleplaying from just my phone (some posts having up to 2,000 or more words when I was really into it) but I definitely prefer my computer over my phone unless I have to use it.

You are a hero among roleplayers.

IKiE2z.png

9 hours ago, Elena said:

Not really, since I can't get a connection anywhere but the house, glare from the sun makes seeing the screen impossible, it's big and quite heavy to carry and I'm not going to risk taking out a machine in public which it expensive in case it gets broken or stolen. Public Wifi connections aren't really secure, either.

• Agree 1

I prefer using my computer to post, but I can use my phone in a pinch. There was a period of time the other year where my laptop had to be repaired, and I was without it for several months, but I kept up using my phone, so I can do that.  I just prefer not to

vX9QJe.jpg

and let slip the dogs of war

I have small hands so its generally not hard for me to use a mobile writing app, and get everything the way I want it before pasting it into a forum. I often write partial posts, send them to myself and polish them on a computer later when I only finish something part way. Mobile often also ends up being a place to 'musedump' when I am excited about a thread and have ideas, and just want to get them down. I'll use what I wrote there as a guide for things to happen in various threads. 

• Agree 1

Well, y'all, I am not mobile-friendly 😉

Phones of any kind are for talking to people when there are no other options (I hate phones). Tablets are simply big phones or small computers - depending on your point of view.

With that said, I feel that in this day and age, sites need to be mobile friendly since this is an increasingly mobile device addicted society. I will read posts on my tablet and respond if necessary admin bits need to be dealt with. I do not respond to urgent requests for my attention because these are games and hobbies - there is nothing that should be urgent about them. When away from my laptop and the house, I will carry my iPhone. However, it is with me for iBooks, Kindle, and music.

Ninety-nine percent of my online presence is via my laptop.

Great thread!

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

Yeah, typing up 500 words on my phone is just not gonna happen.

E5zAKhe.gif

I'll gladly read posts and make short OOC posts from my phone but there's no way I can do a full length reply on one, even when I had a full QWERTY keyboard on it. What ends up happening is I have to go back to fix something and then I'll not be able to scroll back down or something. I save most of my writing for an actual computer. Plus I'm way faster at it that way as well.

I have in the past posted from my phone or tablet but posting from my laptop is much easier.  I can type properly and there's less chance of me messing something up.  Plus if I want to use a posting template that's much easier to do from my laptop, not that that is something I do that much anymore.

Profile graphics by @Lirschen