Are you a desktop or mobile RPer?

Deep Sea

Desktop or mobile RPer?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've always been curious, in the world of mobile-first web development, how many people actually post from their phones or tablets. Personally, even though I don't post in-character from my phone, I still prefer roleplay websites that are mobile-friendly. I like to be able to participate in OOC conversations from my phone, and read new posts over breakfast. That's part of the reason I prefer XenForo and IPS as forum software - I have never met a mobile-friendly jcink or Proboards forum.

So, that's my opinion - responsive design or die. What about you all?

Glub glub.

I have a really hard time writing IC posts from my phone. Its much easier to do it from my laptop. I have a set up I enjoy, where I can see the post I'm writing and the one I'm replying to side by side. 

It's important to have a mobile friendly site though, because a lot of people do post and browse from their phones. As a mother with toddlers I only have one hand free most of the day. Being able to check my site out from my phone is great. I feel like mobile friendly Jcink is a thing that could happen, but people use a lot of free skins. Those skins are usually older, done quickly, or done by people still learning. So they aren't optimized for mobile browsing. You could definitely adapt them, but if you're using a free skin, you likely don't know how. 😕 

operation: bowtruckles & bombs

R6MmD.png

IPS tracks device usage on my site. So, this is based off a community with about half a dozen active members and probably skewed by advertising posts. Desktops are more popular but mobile usage is definitely not insignificant.

I post from both my desktop and mobile but I'm probably more likely to post from my phone. I know two of my members post exclusively from their phones. One by choice, the other because his computer died 😞

For what it's worth, out of the box, phpbb is possibly the most responsive free software.

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I've tried (and succeeded) to write on my ipad before but even with a keyboard, I don't love it. It'll do in a pinch, but I'm bereft without a proper computer!

IKiE2z.png

• Admin

I actually post from any device that I have. I normally post from bed on my phone and I post mostly on my PC but I also post from my tablet when I'm feeling tablet-y. Just here on the Initiative we have an 8-1 ratio of desktop to mobile users. I believe Google rates it higher. More like 40% of our users are mobile in some way shape or form.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

• Operations Mod

I'll mobile post to my RP threads here on the Initiative every now and then. 

Other than that I'm strictly desktop because of my type speed. Posting on mobile slows me down to an infuriating extent. On a mobile device I can't key swiftly enough to hold my thought line so I have to stop and regather where I was to begin with. 

My cat played the "fuck this game" with a bottle of water over my laptop once and fried it to hell. I just quit role playing for the next few months until I could buy a new computer. 

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

Both. Usually from my laptop. But I have been known to post shorter responses from my phone cause why not?

Reality is an illusion. 

I have tried doing mobile, but I suck at it. I just can't type quickly and comfortably enough to write a decent post, so unless I write the post by hand and then type it on mobile (which would happen only if there was no other way ever), I'll wait until I can reach my laptop and post from it.

• Love 1

Shady McShaderson

Both. Desktop most of the time, laptop in the park  or out of town sometimes. But the laptop is mostly for my novels, only sometimes for writing posts. And yes, laptop means mobile too 🙂

I never roleplay on the phone. I can't write on it more than a whatsapp or sms message, or the briefest, 1-2 phrases reply email.

Edited by Elena

I mostly stick to my desktop/laptop for writing posts. Trying to type things out on my phone is tedious AF between godawful  auto-correct and word prediction. And my typing speed on a nice keyboard is much faster. I do chat in cboxes from my phone if I'm not near my computer though even though I'd still prefer that instead of a phone.

I'll only post IC-ly with Desktop or Laptop. I need that "full keyboard" to effectively type my thoughts as I'm thinking them. 

I will however, engage in all the OOC and Chat related shenanigans from my mobile phone. This lets me be on the site without confining myself TO the site if that makes any sense. 

• Agree 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I've used my phone, when in a pinch... And I will check sites from my phone, chat in the cbox and/or discord, but when it comes to IC posts, I prefer a keyboard and google docs. I've lost too many posts over the years to computer/browser crashes, that I always type posts and replies in Docs. Plus... I tend to be a slow poster, so I can write (start a post) and come back to it when I have free time during the day.

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

I only use my laptop. From the few times I've used my phone for web browsing, I find that the phone is so clumsy and unreliable that it's not worth attempting to use twitter or post in c-boxes with it. I don't know what tablets and ipads are like since I don't own one, but there is no way that I could ever write a proper post using my phone.

• Admin

So far, I find this interesting as a majority don't post from mobile but will browse mobile which makes the interface equally as important.

• Agree 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I once spent an entire year roleplaying from just my phone (some posts having up to 2,000 or more words when I was really into it) but I definitely prefer my computer over my phone unless I have to use it.