Are you a desktop or mobile RPer?

Deep Sea

Desktop or mobile RPer?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's a lot of discussion in here, that's awesome!!

Glub glub.

I've recently begun using my iPad a lot. It has a full Bluetooth keyboard, so my sausage fingers don't struggle to type! I love it because it fits easily in my purse and is super light, and it basically acts as a small laptop with full mobile functionality. I can't really access sites while I'm on my work computer (since my publisher sits right behind me and judges me hard when I'm not doing the work they pay me for '>.>) so the iPad is great for use on my lunch or breaks throughout the day. Or for sitting in my breakfast nook!

I've also started writing for my novel on it as well - mobile writing software is quickly becoming a lifesaver for me. 

That said, I still prefer to write on my laptop. Ideally while wrapped in a blanket sitting on the couch. But my laptop is old, giant, and extra beefy. It's a hassle to take anywhere, and the only purse I have that it fits in is...my backpack. I'm a fashionable twenty-something professional - I'm too good for backpacks these days, and don't want to mess with the hassle of wires bc my laptop won't hold a charge.

• LOL 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

How the hell do people manage to post from their phones? My phone can't even accept that "you" can stay as "you." It insists it always has to be "your."

• Agree 2
  • LOL 2

• Admin

I post from my phone all the time. The mistakes that normally happen are because I'm being impatient and don't want to go back and fix them. I have an iPhone though so it learns from what I type and correct so it becomes easier the more often I post.

@Rune

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

On 7/5/2018 at 10:15 AM, clipsed said:

You are a hero among roleplayers.

More like a role player without a laptop; who had a lot of time to write and no notebook to write in.

12 hours ago, Rune said:

How the hell do people manage to post from their phones? My phone can't even accept that "you" can stay as "you." It insists it always has to be "your."

Writing in a notepad app when I have a general idea of what I want to respond with, saving it, copy/pasting it into the response box. Tapping post. It's very easy once you get used to it. The only "real" difference is the smaller screen and the fact that you touch the screen instead of a physical keyboard and mouse. As for the autocorrects, I think it depends on how good your phone is with them. Mine learns my typing style and mine is an android. So I believe both Apple and Androids have a relatively good system, though the keypad your phone uses can also play a part. Some keypad apps are better than others and the default one doesn't always have the best correction system.

On 7/5/2018 at 6:41 AM, Deep Sea said:

Heh. My definition of mobile comes down to screen size. basically, anything until ~13" I would consider a mobile device.

Every laptop I've personally owned has had a 15-17" screen. Perhaps that is why our opinions differ - toting around a laptop with a screen above 13" gets a little...not in the way but just uncomfortable. Personally. I suppose the counter argument here is to just buy a smaller laptop but by that logic I could also spend half as much on a good tablet with a keyboard and have loads more space available to me. I suppose in the end it comes down to personal preference.

The definition of a mobile device is  A smartphone or tablet computer - which makes me think definitions or true definitions seem really drab in comparison to personal definitions.

But I'm rambling at this point. ^^;

• Agree 1

I do from both devices, but that's out of necessity. I post sometimes from work, though my content is typically shorter in length.

My lengthier replies are done from my home computer instead of my phone.

lipsbanner.jpg

Red Light District Role-Playing.

Adult role-playing forum.
Fulfill your fantasies in the Red Light District.

The nova systems I use for the website is mobile friendly. So I can technically reply on it, but I prefer the desktop.

Keeper RaWolfe

Owner of the Exonia Realm

I answered I post from both kinds of devices, but really it is 90% from my mobile phone. It's the primary reason I have a chat-based site using Slack, with the forum only acting as an info and storage center. Most of my rping is done on the go now or at work and over the years I've found my ability to rp on a forum via my mobile phone varies greatly between sites, depending on forum design, skin, reply box interface, etc. At least with Slack, it has a specifically designed mobile app and I've written anything from one-liners to a 1000 words easily (all without worrying about post templates, graphics or over-stylising my post). I know some people who solely rp on Discord now for this reason too. On another note, rping via my mobile also works out perfect for me since I'm a huge fidgeter who can't sit still!

Edited by Sailor V

22 hours ago, Rune said:

Since you asked...

In addition to @Morrigan and @Hysteria said about spell checking, and expanding on what Hysteria implied in her post:

When I first started on RPing on my phone I would have said that I prefer to use my desktop or laptop. Because my phone keyboard felt cramped. Because of typos. Because because etc

These days honestly? I've gotten used to it to the point that I prefer writing on my phone. (Granted, I don't have a small phone. I'm typing this was a galaxy s8). My computer is a place where I have a lot of things going on at once. My phone is a place where I sit down to write and only write. I find that it has less distractions, which probably says something sad about the number of texts and calls I get...

But the point is, in the end and without intent, my phone has become my dedicated writing space.

As an aside, I find what Sailor V said about people abandoning forum RP because of the (lack of) functionality interesting! It's also something that we as a community can take steps to address!

• Agree 2
  • Thank you 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• Admin

To make sure it's clear on what is standardly considered a "mobile" device:

https://www.gcflearnfree.org/computerbasics/mobile-devices/1/

Laptops are not considered a mobile device. There are devices that emulate laptops that can be considered a "mobile" device but these are not true laptops. They are tablets with a keyboard. Even Chromebooks are not considered a "mobile" device.

This is not a guessing game, this is the actual definition of what a mobile versus a non mobile device in this context. Any time someone talks about a "mobile" device they are talking about a phone or tablet. Best way to gauge and understand this is to look at what you can buy at a mobile store. You cannot buy a laptop at Sprint because it's not considered a mobile device.

image.png

• Preach it! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Like, I get HOW.  I just... Phone posts always look huge... And then aren't. I do it for 1x1 Discord RP, but the idea of attempting to do it on a forum makes me cringe. Props to anyone that can crank out several hundred words from a phone. 

I type ~125 WPM at my desktop. On my phone I'm pretty sure that drops down to like -7. I swipe type pretty decently, though. When my phone stops insisting that "some" is "dinner."

I haven't bothered looking for a decent keyboard app so I just put up with what I've got (suggestions are bitchin'.) I just use the Google keyboard, I think. 

• Love 1

I skin in desktop, you bet your butt I want to admire my hardwork on desktop mode 😉 When I do use my phone its usually to lurk, I can't be writing 200 word length posts on my phone!

promoimg.png 

On 7/7/2018 at 12:29 AM, Rune said:

Like, I get HOW.  I just... Phone posts always look huge... And then aren't. I do it for 1x1 Discord RP, but the idea of attempting to do it on a forum makes me cringe. Props to anyone that can crank out several hundred words from a phone. 

I type ~125 WPM at my desktop. On my phone I'm pretty sure that drops down to like -7. I swipe type pretty decently, though. When my phone stops insisting that "some" is "dinner."

I haven't bothered looking for a decent keyboard app so I just put up with what I've got (suggestions are bitchin'.) I just use the Google keyboard, I think. 

I can understand someone simply not enjoying the slower typing speed that comes with a phone. When I write a post on a phone I'm not going for length or speed, just...a decent post?

So I guess it really depends on what you're wanting and how patient you are. Took me about five-seven minutes to type 200 (+) words on a phone, so it didn't feel like a waste of time for me...but I get into that good ol' writer zone and all distractions are just gone because of character-driven tunnel vision. I know it sounds weird, but I'm sure as a fellow writer you know what I mean. 😉

• Agree 1

I am terrible at writing longer stuff on my phone or iPad, so I save those sorts of things for when I'm home at the desktop. But I read a lot of stuff through my phone, so sites that display well on mobile are important to me.

I do love though that IPS also has a mobile friendly ACP. Being able to get under the hood and tinker with little things on the go is excellent.

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

If I'm desperate I'll use my phone or tablet, but I much prefer the laptop.  My posts tend to be long enough that phone typing especially with my clumsy thumbs is a huge hassle (not to mention my phone's autocorrect constantly working to hideously embarrass me with its changes).

• Agree 2

royals_rebels.gif