Are you a desktop or mobile RPer?

Deep Sea

Desktop or mobile RPer?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Primarily desktop, but if needed, I'll use mobile. I'm so much slower of a typer on mobile, and I can't convey what I'm trying to say as well. Plus I make more errors.

But I think it's so neat that we can have "on the go" roleplaying. When most of us started, that wasn't an option. One of the reasons I don't do post templates on my site is because it's much harder to utilize on mobile. I like to make it as simple as possible for people.

WoL___dark01.png

@Morrigan This is been such an awesome thread, I'm beginning to think I should start posting monthly discussions on roleplayers' hardware/software specs.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Glub glub.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, Nixie said:

I skin in desktop, you bet your butt I want to admire my hardwork on desktop mode 😉

But when you skin for mobile too, you can get some really beautiful results. I love a good desktop skin, but an amazing mobile skin will have me droolin! Gimme dat accessibility boner.

• LOL 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I'll sometimes type some things up on note apps on my phone when I'm travelling in subway or bus, but I prefer the desktop by far from the bigger picture view it gives you and how speedy you can correct and edit your text.

I only post on desktop no matter where I write up the text, so after a phone writing session, I send myself what I wrote so I can finish it on my laptop

oUIk3c.gif
Devil's Tattoo - Clan politics, bikers, urban legends, cougars, wolves, coyotes, badgers and more... 
Plenty of canons available, and OC are more than welcomed as well

I found that during the school year, unless I was willing to use my phone, I wasn't posting. So, I learned to post from mobile. I have the patience for it, but, my biggest problem is that I find it changes my writing. The posts never feel quite right when I post from a mobile. There's also just no replacing the feel of a real keyboard. I've found myself less willing to write on my phone and more willing to take my laptop with me if I know I'll have sit down time with wifi, recently, but, would still post from my phone if it meant the difference between getting to write or going post-les for a day.

• Agree 1

gifbutton.gif

I am 100% a desktop rper. I gotta have a full real keyboard to write comfortably, with any legibility, and at any length beyond a couple of sentences. Having to pick at a tiny virtual phone keyboard is both tedious and awful for me... Phones exasperate all of my typo and spelling issues, of which there are a terrifying many. I also hate trying to read anything longer than a couple o'sentences on a tiny phone screen. Hell, I don't even casually browse the internet on my phone. That device is solely for communication and taking pictures of wildlife... And catching n' battling virtual technicolor monsters. Y'know, the essentials.

• Love 1

goShaveYourGiantHeadOfSmellWithYourBadSelf.png.330cfee24df61fd4cc42c52e66e63ab6.png

On 7/9/2018 at 3:44 PM, Uaithne said:

But I think it's so neat that we can have "on the go" roleplaying. When most of us started, that wasn't an option

This just reminded me of how I used to print my threads and write replies by hand on the bus to school. I did this much more than I post on my phone now, so I guess it's much more a question of mindset than of how easy and practical it is in my case! 

• Love 2

I'm kind of old school - though I see I'm not alone. I post pretty much exclusively from my desktop computer (very occasionally my laptop, but that's still not mobile).

I hate trying to post on my phone, and usually won't even attempt to navigate a site (except maybe to talk in the cbox) on my phone. This is a me thing but I actually don't get along with touch screens very well and don't even like, you know, texting very much lol. I have done posts this way in a pinch, maybe twice in the last few years.

Stat just reminded me though - I used to physically write my posts/journals on notebook paper when I was going to school. So that's a thing. ... And honestly I probably still would if the opportunity presented itself tbh. Because the creative process is easier for me on paper than it would be on a phone screen. (too bad I don't carry notebooks around like i used to).

• Love 1

affiliatebutton.png

Some must be warriors that others may live in peace.

2 hours ago, Yume said:

I used to physically write my posts/journals on notebook paper when I was going to school.

I roleplayed with this girl years ago - dunno if she still does this - who would write out her ideas and responses by hand in a notebook, and then transcribe them to the computer when she was done. Apparently that's just  how her creative juices flowed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Glub glub.

I don't really understand when people say most jcink forums aren't mobile friendly. Maybe I've just been really lucky or maybe it's just my phone, but 90% of sites I've written on weren't awkward to look at and use from my mobile. I would never type directly into a reply box using my phone though. I always find that a bit annoying because you have to zoom in a lot for the text to be comfortably readable. If I'm replying to posts from my mobile I type it out into my phone's notes app and paste it onto the forum then.

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

• Admin

You’re probably referring to JCink a mobile theme @Rivfader which most people do not theme at all for. If you go to the desktop version this is what is meant. Mobile friendly means responsive. 

Most themes on jcink were written years ago. They were not written with mobile in mind. 

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

@Morrigan I never use the jcink mobile themes. I'm talking about the desktop themes, haha. I mean, some aren't perfect for mobile but I find them fairly manageable in regards to replying to cbox , reading new posts & pasting replies in from my phone's notes. 

• Agree 1

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

• Admin

Then you must be lucky. Most themes on Jcink are impossible to read/view. I'll note, most of the time it's not the core part of the theme that is impossible it's the extra elements. Like crappy sidebars etc.

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

Desktop for me.

Only very rarely on laptop or mobile; I find either incredibly difficult to type on. 

"Of all that is written, I love only what a man has written with

his own blood."  Friedrich Nietzsche ~ Thus Spake Zarathustra

3paIAn.gif 3pasUm.png 3ica7j.gif 3pa1UW.png