Image Size Restrictions

Nixie

Speaking from personal experience and as an admin here, I get kind of annoyed with sites that have an image width restriction. With Jcink there is an option where you can scale down images so they don't break your forum code, use those. Don't make me have to load up another program on my prehistoric laptop to resize an image, specifically for your site. I can understand if people are uploading 1000px width images, that that can be a problem, especially if it does ruin the look of your forum. But if the image fits nice and snuggly in the forum, then what's the harm?

/vent over/

promoimg.png 

I really enjoy the "scale down" option, tbh. It makes it nice and easy that an image will automatically scale down to an appropriate size and make it convenient for everyone. 

• Love 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

• Admin

I prefer css to scale down. It’s more responsive tbh. But I’m lazy and prefer that the css do all the work for me. Then that stupid “scale thing doesn’t happen (it takes forever to load anyways) and it’s responsive. 

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

It's not just the pixel size that you have to take into account with images, you also need to take into account the size of the file. I found recently that some of my photos were taking up a lot of storage space on my web host after I deleted a gallery I had to make room for my forum, and the storage went down by a significant amount. Overall, with the gallery, it was taking up half of my disc usage and after deleting it, I'm only using 29% of it. It makes sense that images are resized because hosting large files is expensive and uses up bandwidth when you access the site. If a site's slow, one of the reasons for it is file size.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I personally like the restrictions, because even with the "scale down" option, sometimes it really messes with the image in terms of clarity.