Open threads and RP culture

Anonymous

3 hours ago, Yume said:

the unfortunate part of that is when I post in a plotter about wanting to do x or y I feel like there's an obligation to be absolutely certain it's going to work out. There's no room for figuring out if character x likes character y enough to actually date them, or even spend more than a thread or two in their presence. Which is... unfortunate because I have this thing where things like that have to develop organically because sometimes characters just dont mesh the way they seemed like they were going to. And sometimes you don't know that until 4 threads in and then I feel bad because I said lets make them friends, or I said maybe they could test the waters of dating.

That might be a weird perception on my part, to be fair, but it still leaves me kind of missing when I could drop an open and actually get answers and have the thread go somewhere. There was an open I joined early on in my rping career (multiple times, actually) that modified my characters entire time on the board after that because she joined a group of characters to travel - and the person that answered her open really made a difference because if it had been someone else I'd have spent my time with a whole different group with that character.

It's not weird at all: That's my EXACT concern. I'm extremely uncomfortable doing Auto-Relationships, in case the characters don't actually mesh as well as we initially think. So any commitment past the situational I shy away from (unless its a character specifically tailored for a long-standing friend for a particular plot need). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

The issue is not threads that anyone can join, but threads that don't give you so much to work with. Because in most cases, open threads are about a character sitting somewhere and brooding. Which is okay, really, but doesn't really give me a reason to interact. There are ways to work around it, but maybe if one posted a thread where something is going on that could draw my attention IC, or even posted in an OOC area a plot idea that anyone could join, it'd be easier to start something interesting. That said, I do join open threads if I want to do something with that character; I'll either ask if we can establish we know each other somehow (so I have a reason to say hi), or I have my char do something strange to draw attention. Because other than that, why should we interact if we're all minding our business?

• Like 1

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

They’re kinda hit or miss. Although I can’t remember the last time something fulfilling came out of an open thread now that I think about it. 

Edited by Zozma

Reality is an illusion. 

I’m a fan of open threads and that’s largely because I look at them as challenges or like prompt tables from past fanfiction days. I like being able to figure out how my character can fit into a random scene, coming up with possibilities, and the unknown aspect of where it might go. I also try to keep my expectations low for open threads and just look at them as a way to meet and get a sense of the other players writing.

I’ve have had some dud threads but I’ve also ended up developing interesting IC storylines and relationships from open threads. The same can be said for pre-planned threads so I think a lot of it just depends on communication, creativity, and how the writing styles mesh.

I confess I’m a little sad they’re not as popular as they once where because I had a lot of positive experiences but I can appreciate why it’s a fading trend.

I post a ton of open threads. |:

Thing is, when I post an open thread, I DO have ideas for plot and direction. However, these ideas are never set in stone; they're very fluid and open to influence! The ideas are there in case the other player is kinda directionless, so it never becomes just a meet and greet. There is always a goal, but the goalposts can shift depending on the actions of the other character and if they throw a wrench in things. 🙂

That said, when I post open threads, they are pretty much intended for just one other player, because I can easily get overwhelmed with group threads and prefer 1 x 1s (with a few exceptions). I also love joining open threads! But I am the sort of RPer who loves spontaneity and doesn't really like to plot stuff out. I wanna just make things up as I go and be surprised.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

soteadvert(1).png.4ef5e4df94405914a2b988b8ea3cde3a.png

On the general concept: I LOVE open threads. They're great for throwing characters together without expectation (not all players are always on that page when you arrange a thread, but no one expects a particular outcome from an open!) and fabulous for those who are a bit anxious about approaching people directly. I think where most people stumble is making generic meet & greets etc. You want to have a clear "in" for other characters to get involved (that doesn't mean your character has to engage them directly; it could be setting-based!) and a premise that allows for a change of direction and/or something to go terribly awry if the characters themselves are unable to propel things forward.

You also need to go into every open thread with an open mind. Not all characters will get along on all circumstances, and you need to be down for that!

On multiple participants: I specify with a little postscript how many participants I'm into, and even (depending on the nature of the premise) that I want a 2/2 rule to keep things moving -- wait for two posts OR days to pass between your own to ensure everyone has a chance to speak up if their character would react in that moment. I also view and encourage others to view open threads as open to all within that scope.

IKiE2z.png

On 7/10/2018 at 1:46 AM, Elena said:

I like and don't like open threads. I don't like threads with no direction, that if you join them, you are the one to carry the thread along and the other is up for the ride, because they weren't planned and they have no direction. And yes, I am a planner... I hate not having any direction.

On the other side, I love collective threads (which still have some direction). They are opportunities for characters to meet everyone and to make connections, for good or for bad. We have plenty of collective threads - tavern scenes, working scenes, battles, public festivals, balls, religious holidays... Everything which entails the life in the 18-th century. ANd most people weren't alone or in pairs doing various things, but in the middle of a varied, colourful people. 

I have, after nearly 20 years of RP life, come to be psychotically wary of "Open Threads". Through bad experience, I have learned that there are RPers out there that put up "open threads" to lure you in and make you do all the work. They strike me much the same way as that person that says to me, "If you wanna write something, my gal/guy is open". I.E. I have zero ideas and want you to do all of the work.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:59 PM, Icewolf said:

I've always considered an open thread to be something that's available to anyone who wants to reply to it and then it's not open to anyone after that - that it's a thread you start when you want to rp with someone, but are too shy or self conscious to actually approach the person. I've also done them a couple of times when I needed to keep a canon character active, but the people who were interested in threading with him weren't around to rp. It was used as a way of keeping him active for activity checks and to give anyone who was available a chance to rp without needing to ask permission. However, I can see how disheartening it is when something gets ignored for weeks or months at a time. (I have been on the receiving end of that myself, and it's awful.)

On 7/10/2018 at 7:33 PM, CovertSphinx said:

Question for the Peeps in this thread: 

When you see an open thread (with no plotting in the chats or any hints as to goals), is your first assumption that the thread has "no direction" and is a directionless shot in the dark? Instead of the alternate idea: the topic starter has a direction but just isn't giving Spoilers?

Would it help ease the "fear of the unknown" and "Internal Bias" on all our parts as members if the topic starter makes a little OOC aside along the lines of ((OOC: Hey, I'd like to explore my character's fear of spiders by having to go save his little brother from the Arachnid Den - but I need help rescuing said Big Bro from his current predicament)) in the initial thread? 

Although, as I was typing this out, I think I came to a realization: As Open Threads went down, I believe Plotters went up. So like, also, do you guys think that maybe the Plotting/Planner/Shipping feelers are replacing the old concept of Open Threads?

In my humble and very general opinion, as stated above, I think many of us have been burned by the open thread concept. If there's not some planning and management for it, it will go on forever and go nowhere. I hate to use the term waste of time because part of me says writing is never a waste of time. However, if nothing is ever accomplished, it is a waste of time. 

Take this as the opinion of a very plot oriented, linear storytelling personality. I am not a fan of thousands of random threads that go nowhere. Whether it is planned in detail or just a basic idea agreed on in Discord, I like to have a goal to write toward. In fact, I am looking at giving up our thread forms in favor of having the topic starter (opening post) be a brief synopsis of the thread (scene). It would include a very brief, two to three sentence goal/summary of the scene, where and when it happens, etc. The other thing it would include would be info on if it is a private scene (pre-planned), open for X number of characters to join (yes, an open scene but one that states the start's goals for it).

And yes, @CovertSphinx, I think people are now more interested in joining plots rather than just random threads. 

• Agree 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I love open threads! I do think the content of an open thread depends on the genre - you're more likely to find open threads about a character sitting somewhere and brooding in a real-life or modern roleplay site than one in a fantasy or historical setting. At least, that's my experience with them.

When I put up an open thread  I always make sure that something is happening so it's easy for another character or character(s) to jump in. I really dislike threads where characters just sit and talk for the entire thing so I'm always trying to avoid those as far as possible, unless of course it's vital to some part of a plot.

I think sometimes the obsession with plotting and knowing EXACTLY how the entire thread will pan out can go a bit too far. I personally just like to have a general idea, usually a starting point, and see how things go from there. If the thread begins to stagnate, then I hit up the other writer and chat about how we can make it more interesting again. Communication imo is key. I try not to let the other writer attempt to make me do all the work, as bad as that sounds, lol. I'll just keep suggesting stuff and prodding them for their opinion until they work with me.

The unpredictability is what I love about roleplaying. If I wanted to know 100% how things were going to play out every single time, I'd write by myself.

Edited by Rivfader
  • Agree 1

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

2 hours ago, Rivfader said:

The unpredictability is what I love about roleplaying. If I wanted to know 100% how things were going to play out every single time, I'd write by myself.

YES. I think the real distinction here is that yes, roleplay is collaborative writing, but it's also a game. Some boards look at it more as one than the other, and I think that's where you see the cultural divide between "yay!" and "ehhh" when open threads come into play.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

IKiE2z.png