Perks of....

Morrigan

• Admin

Just explain why you like a particular software. What makes it awesome to you. Don't debate. Don't anything. Just your software, just a reason why you think it's the new hotness!

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I love IPS for the rich text editor, gallery, ease of adding images to posts, etc.

My second love is Gaia. It's just all integrated and set up for roleplaying. No account switcher needed.

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I like Jcink because the standard skins are clean and quick to load (and easy to modify slightly), due to how easy it is to create subaccounts (especially now that you don't have to create then link, you can create it right from your control panel), and the low cost of their premium + number of sites you can have under one subscription.

Shady McShaderson

I really love the customizability of Jcink. 

.....and I also really love the "plugins" feature of Proboards, making enhancements pretty much a "set it and forget it" endeavor. 

• Agree 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I want X. Does SMF do that? Maybe. Maybe not. But if it doesn't, I can make it do that.

Literally no two SMF boards operate exactly the same. That's real.

• Fuck Yeah! 1

nusignature.png nusignature.png

I am the darkness, always watching, always listening, ALWAYS THERE.
(If you're interested in Plain of Ice, message me, it's private. Bleach site, non-canon.)

SMF! Because automated everything and the ability to customize pretty much anything you want to (if you know a guy who knows a guy). I'm learning through lots of trial and error but it's been a wild and fun ride to see what can happen. 

Ooh and bookmarks as trackers. I remember asking my husband to do it for me and being pleased that we could. (And then other admins made them prettier.) I can't live any other way now. I've always been obsessive about thread trackers but it got so annoying to have to copy/paste/link/format..... 

I'm lazy. If it caters to that laziness, I want it.

Reality is an illusion. 

I really want to hear more about proboards plugins, I think it's so cool that they're doing that now.

Anyway, lets just ignored my job title for the minute.

I love IPS because:

This!

1 hour ago, Zozma said:

I'm lazy. If it caters to that laziness, I want it.

Also because:

• Easy peasy automated thread trackers, that I can drag to the sidebar and it's there.
  • Drag and drop site building in general.
  • I can make databases without needing to learn php (yay!)
  • There's easy theme mode, so I can do the bulk of it from there, and then just fine tune with the custom.css stylesheet
  • Clubs on IPS - so, if the settings allow you. Your members can make a club. Make forums, blogs, galleries and calendars in that club. It's like a board within a board. I'm gonna exploit that. >>
  • Blocks (but that's not unique to IPS.)
  • Native responsiveness.
  • It saves your posts if you accidentally close your browser or it crashes.
  • Paid staff team means that it's regularly updated and new features frequently added to keep in front of their competitors.

• Some people prefer grid layout, some people prefer the traditional table forum layout. User's can pick.

• ....and when it's made, the character mod plugin.

Honestly there are heaps more and of course, the system (every system) is imperfect. But IPS is such a joy to work with as both a mod and a user. And I sincerely love that a lot of the things that are important to me (responsive design being my bugbear) is just there, with no effort on my behalf. 

• Agree 2

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• 6 months later...

^^ Read Kit's post above for my reasons to love IPS. 

I love Mybb too although I have moved away from it recently.

Jcink premium has a lot of rpg things aimed towards it and resources off the bat. 

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

jcink is pretty good though personally i heard alot of good things about smf which is similar. the only difference is has a domain for your whereas the other, if you wanna still be free, use host like rpg initiative or something similar. really each forum host has their pro and and cons and it's a matter of how one uses these software that makes a rp work.

(nothing beats discord and telegram though)

• 6 months later...

I enjoy jcink because I find it overall easy to use. I love being able to enable as many sub-accounts as I'd like, I like how it functions, and have honestly become accustomed to the admin menu.

1768993049_lssig.png.528ca56ae06dad54600991b2a8d34cf9.png

I used to do a lot on proboards but being able to switch between accounts on jcink really won me over. I also love the customizability and community in general that jcink has. There are also some talented coders out there!

I said regular updates as a good thing about IPS. That's still true...

But I also like that there are no sweeping updates with jcink so your bits and bobs probably won't break. Like myBB is updating their variables and 1.9 will completely change your themes and I just can't be assed. (IPS has really good documentation when templates change).

• Cheers 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

• Admin

IPS with the Character Mod is officially the best way to manage characters From the Characters list to the Automatic Who's who list I cannot be happier. It's super easy to edit characters and switch and I don't have to worry about managing multiple accounts or whether I am supposed to tag the OOC account or the IC account. One OOC account and the rest are characters and the OOC account is the only one that you can tag.

Everything about it makes me so happy!

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

On 8/21/2019 at 3:35 AM, Morrigan said:

IPS with the Character Mod is officially the best way to manage characters From the Characters list to the Automatic Who's who list I cannot be happier. It's super easy to edit characters and switch and I don't have to worry about managing multiple accounts or whether I am supposed to tag the OOC account or the IC account. One OOC account and the rest are characters and the OOC account is the only one that you can tag.

Everything about it makes me so happy!

The Who's who list was a pleasant surprise. It is an amazing mod! <3 

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

• Admin
1 minute ago, Gothic said:

The Who's who list was a pleasant surprise. It is an amazing mod! ❤️

Try the new version the Who's Who list is pretty now.

• Love 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png