Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gota

Original RP site close to being finished

Your Name: Gota
Link to your site: https://soulowls.rpginit.com/
Link to your staff account on the RPG: https://soulowls.rpginit.com/index.php?/profile/1-gota/
What you are looking to have reviewed: The user-friendliness in total. Like, is the information forum understandable (including the rules)? Are all the other forums good the way they are, should I make some things clearer, are the wiki pages that you can reach from the recommendations topic easy enough to understand and so on? I basically want to know if we'd be ready to get members and what I could do to make the site more appealing to people.

Would you like an @AKNyx Ramsay Review? She doesn't seem to be online often anymore so I don't want to bother her.

This is really really petty but....the sidebar isn't inline with the first forum which I find annoying XD

Adding the following to your custom.css will fix that

#ipsLayout_sidebar li.ipsWidget.ipsWidget_vertical.ipsBox {
    margin-top: 0;
    margin-bottom: 15px;
}

So first impressions is that I have no idea what genre of forum I am looking at. There is a super quick fix for that however. On the right hand side, click on the little arrow. Expand the System dropdown and drag the guest sign up widget over to the spot above the forums. Click on Edit and you can type in a quick little welcome message that let's us know what your forum is about.

Featuring important topics like you have seems like a good way to do it. It's a one click entry to the information I need to check out first. As a user, I also appreciate any steps admins take to make my life a littler easier.

Flaming, harassment, personal attacks, defamation or other malicious actions against other members are to be avoided.

'Are to be avoided' is a bit wishy washy to me, particularly when in the sentence before, you've forbidden some things. Try "Will not be tolerated."

- Members can have one general OC-account and several IC-accounts for characters. More about this in the Guide topic of this forum.
- It is also possible to have just one account for everything.

Maybe condense this into, we are account per player and account per character, depending on your own preference. You can read about this in our Guide. (Add a link to the relevant topic.) You should also explain that player accounts/out of character accounts are necessary.

No word count

Add a full stop since you have one everywhere else.

New character records in the Characters section have to be approved. Other than that there is no application.

This is a little confusing to me because I think you're trying to communicate two separate ideas here. There is no application - so you can just start RPing? But in a separate dot point, we have Character records in the character section, users are encouraged to fill them out. They are approved by a staffer?

Otherwise, good. Brief. The vibe I'm getting is chill admin who is looking for a chill community.

Onto the guide: straight off. We've been indoctrinated to read websites where a new line is a new paragraph. Spacing out your paragraphs will just make it seem easier to read.

I won't go over it in depth, but the guide is a bit rambly. Make it concise. I also recommend breaking up the steps into steps/small paragraphs so that it's easier to follow.

Forum layout - a bit confusing because traditional roleplays are folded in with stories, but I think that's just something to get used to.

First Contact might need a rename because it sometimes gets used as a cutesy name for first links. I know you have advertisement forum on the other side, but it's just a moment of confusion that is unnecessary. 

Hot tip:

You can get rid of the index.php?/ thing in your URLs, so that

https://soulowls.rpginit.com/index.php?/forum/12-information/

Becomes

https://soulowls.rpginit.com/forum/12-information/

Go to your ACP and Search Engine Optimization. You want to turn on Rewrite URLs, make sure you upload the file that it tells you to upload. Reach out to the IPS Staff Peoples club if you need more information.

Otherwise looking cool! I don't think you need to put off opening for much longer. Just give everything an edit and make sure that it's concise. Also, once you establish from the outset what your forum is, I think you'll have the hook to lure new members in.

I'm also really glad that Morrigan was able to help you out with the upgrade, it was awful to hear that you had lost a forum that you were so excited about. ❤️ I hope this review has helped a little.

• Love 1

FYI @Gota the first thing @Kit the Human mentions, while that may be a temporary fix/obvious fix to your issue it actually won't fix the issue. This is an issue with hidden/unhidden widgets. It's a known issue. Either move the block that isn't viewable to the guest down or delete it if you want to truly fix the issue. This is a known issue and we plan to have a fix in a future version. I don't recommend a CSS fix as it will squish things in ways you won't like.

• Thank you 2

6 hours ago, Kit the Human said:

This is really really petty but....the sidebar isn't inline with the first forum which I find annoying XD

Adding the following to your custom.css will fix that

#ipsLayout_sidebar li.ipsWidget.ipsWidget_vertical.ipsBox {
    margin-top: 0;
    margin-bottom: 15px;
}

So first impressions is that I have no idea what genre of forum I am looking at. There is a super quick fix for that however. On the right hand side, click on the little arrow. Expand the System dropdown and drag the guest sign up widget over to the spot above the forums. Click on Edit and you can type in a quick little welcome message that let's us know what your forum is about.

Featuring important topics like you have seems like a good way to do it. It's a one click entry to the information I need to check out first. As a user, I also appreciate any steps admins take to make my life a littler easier.

'Are to be avoided' is a bit wishy washy to me, particularly when in the sentence before, you've forbidden some things. Try "Will not be tolerated."

Maybe condense this into, we are account per player and account per character, depending on your own preference. You can read about this in our Guide. (Add a link to the relevant topic.) You should also explain that player accounts/out of character accounts are necessary.

Add a full stop since you have one everywhere else.

This is a little confusing to me because I think you're trying to communicate two separate ideas here. There is no application - so you can just start RPing? But in a separate dot point, we have Character records in the character section, users are encouraged to fill them out. They are approved by a staffer?

Otherwise, good. Brief. The vibe I'm getting is chill admin who is looking for a chill community.

Onto the guide: straight off. We've been indoctrinated to read websites where a new line is a new paragraph. Spacing out your paragraphs will just make it seem easier to read.

I won't go over it in depth, but the guide is a bit rambly. Make it concise. I also recommend breaking up the steps into steps/small paragraphs so that it's easier to follow.

Forum layout - a bit confusing because traditional roleplays are folded in with stories, but I think that's just something to get used to.

First Contact might need a rename because it sometimes gets used as a cutesy name for first links. I know you have advertisement forum on the other side, but it's just a moment of confusion that is unnecessary. 

Hot tip:

You can get rid of the index.php?/ thing in your URLs, so that

https://soulowls.rpginit.com/index.php?/forum/12-information/

Becomes

https://soulowls.rpginit.com/forum/12-information/

Go to your ACP and Search Engine Optimization. You want to turn on Rewrite URLs, make sure you upload the file that it tells you to upload. Reach out to the IPS Staff Peoples club if you need more information.

Otherwise looking cool! I don't think you need to put off opening for much longer. Just give everything an edit and make sure that it's concise. Also, once you establish from the outset what your forum is, I think you'll have the hook to lure new members in.

I'm also really glad that Morrigan was able to help you out with the upgrade, it was awful to hear that you had lost a forum that you were so excited about. ❤️ I hope this review has helped a little.

Thanks for all the pointers! I edited some stuff although I'm not sure how to make the guide more concise (but I edited the paragraphs at least).
And maybe it's a better idea to change the posting by scenes to something that is used for events only to make it a bit less confusing.

And I didn't notice there was a hidden widget (popular now). I moved that one down.

Everything done now.

Edited by Gota
  • Love 1