What is your posting routine?

Gothic

I have a handful of PCs and also moderate my forum with site-wide plots and moderated threads for those who request specific interaction. 

Mondays are my Admin days. I work on Lore, approve character sheets, update the cast of characters and the census, and do moderated posts. The rest of the week, I will reply to moderated threads whenever a player responds, but otherwise, I distribute my PC replies throughout the other days I'm not busy at work. I have more PCs than days of the week, and I don't usually post on weekends because that's family time. 

Sometimes, I can schedule and follow a list. Other times, I just chase my muses. Whatever gets a few posts out, I do it!

So, I guess I'm semi-structured? Hmm. Sure. Yeah. That.

• Great Idea 1

Thorns: Uprising
A Unique Victorian Fantasy Play-by-Post RPG

LORE | FORUM | CHARACTER CENSUS | WANTED ADS | DISCORD

• 3 months later...

I need a cuppa coffee, a playlist to get the mojo going, and absolute silence. Worst thing ever is being interrupted mid post and losing the flow. :K

• Agree 1

2vyeCC8.jpg

RULESBEGINNER'S GUIDELOREADVERTISING

We're a 3-3-3 freeform medieval fantasy RPG! Come have some coffee (or ale) with us and have a good time! <:

I am fortunate enough to be retired so....

I have scaled back on my online time. Most evenings I put the computer away by 7 or 8 PM. When real life is being kept at bay, I spend every other morning answering tags or writing posts. I start with sites other than my own. The alternate mornings, I spend on doing site and lore maintenance and on RPG Initiative!

Lately, however, my preferred schedule has been blown up by various things. I am gradually getting back to it.

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

I have no routine or any order in which I post.  I just sit down and reply to threads in whatever order I am feeling at that moment.

Profile graphics by @Lirschen

I usually post better at night, often anywhere after 7 pm my muse decides to spark up and I can write for hours.  I grab a bottle of water, pull up my laptop, make myself comfortable, and get ready to go.  I don't really plan out where I'm going to post most days.  Usually, I just ask myself what threads or characters do I feel like writing for and go from there.  In the past I've tried to schedule certain characters for different days of the week, but that inevitably drained my muse because if I wasn't feeling a character on their day then I just wouldn't get anything done.  So, now I just kind of just browse through my threads and see which calls to me more, and then I'll open each thread I want to reply to in a new tab each, then open up a new google doc and get to work.  

Its incredibly hard for me to write during the day, either because I'm busy or because I just want to use that time to be away from the computer as much as possible unless I'm working.  Nighttime is rp time, and kind of a reward after spending the day being busy with real life stuffs.  

Generally I treat it a bit like a game of ping-pong. Soon as I see a post I attempt to reply to it so that I'm not leaving people waiting. However, I do have a day job so typically no posting while I'm at work and I don't sacrifice sleep for writing. Only time that is not the case is if somebody writes something so off the wall that I'm not sure how to respond or its been so long between responses that I've lost track of where the story was going.

Respice Finem

Can be found causing mayhem and intrugue at Dawnbreak.

image.png.26f869973cedc9bd084f357aedf7c335.png

I generally have a routine but the routine varies. 

Sometimes it is open up oldest post first and work through in that direction. Sometimes I try for the most difficult for me one first, or the longest. Sometimes I'll do the easy ones first. I do tend to open up a post from every player and go in that order. I may have 1 thread with one player and 8 threads with another player but I want to get every person (not necessarily every character) at least one reply, you know? So I'll kind of go in that order and try not to circle back around until everyone has something. 

If I'm really into a thread I'll often start a response as soon as I've been tagged but a lot of times I wait overnight before finishing it or posting it because I like to have things settle in my mind, if that makes sense, in case I want to change it, especially if it is a possible plot changing moment lol... so I just continue in my order once I've gotten my burst of response out and bring that one up again when it's that persons turn to have a tag again. 

I write best in the morning when I'm sitting with my daughter directing her schoolwork and she's halfway working quietly, and also in the range between 8-10 pm so that's usually when I sit down to write. 

Unless I'm posting in public (i.e. between classes or at a coffee shop), I tend to alternate my spot every hour or so just to keep from getting too bored and antsy. I have a nice office chair at my desk and then one of those plush lumbar pillows propped up against my chest of drawers that I switch between.

I always write post drafts in Notepad so I can look at the post before without switching back and forth between tabs.

Sometimes I eat chocolate or drink hot cocoa, but I can't tell if that makes me slower or faster.

I go in batches by character, starting with the character with the oldest-due reply to the newest, but first I'll make a to-do list with all of my replies so that I can get that little dopamine rush of checking off a box.

• 10 months later...

Honestly, its so random for me. I post usually any time of day if I don't have responsibilities and as long as I am inspired. I can easily focus during writing, but I'm not the type to always listen to music while writing. I usually listen to something beforehand to help inspire me. But I don't even eat while replying, writing has my complete and undivided attention. Won't stop til I end my post!

bram stokers dracula GIF

I wait until the house is quiet, usually in the middle of the night. I'll drink a water or tea and listen to a song that builds the character in my mind then turn it off and begin writing.  

• Agree 2
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

use this one kat.png

I throw on some ambient music (depending on what I'm posting) and get going!

I tend to have a drink by my side and either play something from TV in the background or lofi beats. I tend to write in the evenings after work during the weekdays but in the morning on my days off I might add a breakfast snack as I write up posts. I typically start with the character that has the muse and work my way through the posts I owe for them. Every now and then I might notice a particular character dominating my muse day after day, if that is the case I tend to start with my others first before getting to them. 

Okay so maybe I have a routine of sorts. It also depends on the day and if I'm working or not. 

Days that I work overnights: I usually will work on forum stuff first. Then if I have any that I owe, I'll try to knock those out if I'm feeling it. Otherwise the owed is usually done on the next day. 

Days that I work swing shift: My time is more limited so if I have forum work to do, I try to aim for these days to do it. That way I have more focus on it and get it out of the way. Owed are catch as catch can on these days.

Days that I'm off: If it's advertising time, that gets most of my time until done. Then I set to work on owed posts to knock them out. Usually with music or a show in the background depending on my mood.

I bookmark all the posts I'm a part of so then I start at the top and run through to see what I owe to that particular thread. If nothing I move on to the next. I write posts in Word so that I can save it when I'm finished. I have whole folders dedicated to where I write including dates, what caracter, and title. It helps me to find something that may have gotten lost. Always with a cup of coffee with me. I only use the laptop when I'm away from home. And I can't really post at work so I tend not to. I'm not a brave person to post on my phone. I didn't even realize it's a routine until I actually looked at it. Who knew?

spacer.pngDecadence

The only thing that my posting routine consists of is having it be night time, preferably after 9pm, and having atmospheric music playing on Spotify. The music is a must, I can't seem to get any creative muse without it.