Sharing Faces

clipsed

What are your thoughts on sharing PBs?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was recently informed that it is strange that on my board, we allow people to share PBs as long as everyone with a "stake" in the face is fine with it.

From my perspective, grown-ass adults should be allowed to make basic-level decisions about their perceived "property" xD We tag accounts that allow it and leave unformatted those that don't, and don't penalize or reward people either way. Some people are protective of faces and that's totally cool, some PBs have lots of different looks to choose from, and some people don't even claim a face anyways!

Just curious to see what others thought on the matter 🙂

IKiE2z.png

• Admin

I'm not actually going to vote because I'm actually a yes but in certain circumstances. Like, for example, a sci-fi world where there are clones ore androids that all have the same face.

image.png

Otherwise, unless it's a twins situation I think there are enough Playbys out there that you don't have to duplicate. If your character is married to the PB choose a different character.

I at one time, felt that it was okay (choose a completely different look of the character) but in the end I don't see different characters I see the same face. It's the same thing I do with movie casting "I know that person from XYZ!". In fact just tonight I started the new Westworld series on HBO and saw the face of the Valkyrie in Thor Ragnarok. And that's how my mind associates them Two different characters, same face, different worlds.

It's the same reason I love watching Julie Benz die in Saw 5 for no other reason that I loathe her in Dexter.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

7 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

... but in the end I don't see different characters I see the same face. It's the same thing I do with movie casting "I know that person from XYZ!". In fact just tonight I started the new Westworld series on HBO and saw the face of the Valkyrie in Thor Ragnarok. And that's how my mind associates them Two different characters, same face, different worlds.

Ooo, see, I don't have this at all - to the point where I often forgot that the clones in Orphan Black were played by the same actress xD

IKiE2z.png

16 minutes ago, clipsed said:

From my perspective, grown-ass adults should be allowed to make basic-level decisions about their perceived "property" xD

This is pretty much where I stand. We have characters that are twins played by two different PBs, and characters that are entirely unrelated that share a PB. And it's an ongoing IC joke "They look so alike, it's weird!" and forever being mistaken as family.

People who aren't attached to their PBs will have fun with it, and those who are more protective have the ability to say they're not okay with sharing. I don't mind. If we got to a point where we had three or four characters with the same PB, and a heap of duplicates hanging around, I might start nudging people toward different choices.

Mostly? It's a non-issue for me.

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

• Admin

I don't have that problem. I recognize facial structures. In fact for years my ex-husband and I would debate on where we saw/remembered Lena Headey from when we would watch 300. I always said Jungle Book and he always referred to something else which I would argue she was never in.

I mean Dopplegangers exist but I'm pretty meh about it. I see Parent Trap and other similarly CG identi-people things when I see the same PBs used.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I don't give a rat's about people using the same play by because I think it's inane that just because someone is using old version of actor, someone else can't use young version of the same actor. I also think that some actors actually get proper make up (Nicole Kidman Moulin Rouge v Nicole Kidman Cold Mountain for example. It does depend on the movie, Nicole Kidman Cold Mountain and Stepford Wives are the same curly haired blonds with the same facial structure), so they look different enough in some movies that any similarities between two characters is realistic, because some people just look similar to other people.

Besides, people are self moderating in that regard. If they care, they'll pick a different face.

• Preach it! 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

I agree with sharing playbys, as long as 1) they represent family; 2) the similarities will make the subject of a plot point; or 3) the movies the images are taken from show totally different characters (eg Johnny Depp in Edward Scissorhands, in Captain Jack Sparrow and in Lone Ranger, Jamie Dornan in Marie Antoinette vs. in Snowwhite or in 50 shades of Gray).

I can't see the same face if the characters are different (the look is different, with age, makeup, clothing). Only vague similarities, even if I theoretically know it is the same person.

Edited by Elena
  • Agree 1

I let people use the same playbys if they want, and refuse to join any board that places a limitation on "reserving" faces that they themselves don't own to begin with. 

Some people are going to end up looking alike/very similar. We're all adults (mostly) and it shouldn't become a huge "insult" to the players in the rare occasion that two unrelated characters have the same look.

It takes less than 5 seconds to turn "mistaken identity" into a plot or board-wide inside joke. 

Edited by CovertSphinx
  • Agree 1
  • Preach it! 2

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

The main reason I have a one player per face claim in my game is because it's standard in the genre. However, personally I've never understood feeling possessive over a face that isn't my own. I have my preferences like anyone and sure, I might be a little disappointed if a face I like is taken and not shareable but it's never a deal breaker for me.

I confess I really like mistaken identity/doppelganger plots so I am biased toward the idea of a face being used for multiple characters. I've had it happen in real life a couple of times though obviously they weren't exact matches but I was surprised how frequently I've had it happen. Once someone came up to me thinking I was a local violinist that she was a big fan of. Which was really funny as I have no musical talent whatsoever.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

I voted  for I don't allow it on my board/wouldn't join a board that allowed it, even if it were optional. However, it comes with caveats.

My point of view is that I choose a playby based on a character that most resembles the one I am creating for an RPG. We list the real people images we borrow (celebs) simply as a matter of course. We do not allow duplicates or playby sharing on my sites (except in the case of twins or familial relationships) to avoid confusion. Also, in the past, we had some really major issues spring up over someone trying to take someone else's face. Silly, but there you go. On the other end of that spectrum, I have also read and heard about people having a fit because the playby they want is already taken.

We also allow well-done original art (as long as it is in the public domain such as collectible cards, etc. or the member's own artwork).

As far as being possessive / obsessive, that is not an issue for me. If I go to join a site and the image I want is taken, I'll simply find another. If it is so ingrained in my head that that is the only one that works for the character I have in mind, I might opt to not join. More than likely, I'll simply try to come up with a different character concept.

Yet another exception is when there are family groups being played (I think someone else mentioned this). Like using a young Sean Connery and a much older one as father / son, grandfather / grandson.

I do not understand obsessing over playbys or even feeling possessive. In fact, and color me silly, I find the term "face claim" a bit creepy as we cannot claim someone else's face. In my head, when I choose a playby, I am saying: my character looks most like this. Not: This IS my character.

• Agree 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

So I'm really not married to PBs in any sense - generally. And even when I pick a PB it is a very rare case that I'm actually attached to them in any real sense. I generally only actually share pbs when family members are involved. I'm not going to generally approach someone like can I be so-and-so too? Even if it's allowed. But it doesn't actually bother me, probably because it's like casting actors to me - how often do people look vaguely similar in real life w/o being related. How often do actors play different roles in one movie? Never mind my character rarely actually looks like their face in more than a tangential fashion to me.

So like, I get people get protective, so I usually won't approach them. And if for some reason it's a character I really cant' change the pb of I'll just use a different character. But... realistically I don't see the issue with it.

There is also the simple fact that - for example - some pbs have done drastically different things with themselves, and if you use the right shots they don't really look like themselves and in those cases I'm even more likely to be like w/e.

In the longer run as an admin, I'd probably generally allow pb sharing as long as no one is being bothered by it (so ask the person you're sharing with, basically). Beyond that, it's a level of nit-picky modding that just doesn't make sense to me.

• Preach it! 1

affiliatebutton.png

Some must be warriors that others may live in peace.

I'm fine with it as long as the original holder of the face/playby is cool with it. I actually have a twin character on my board where myself and a friend share the same face. As long as the people doing it are cool with it, I am too. I agree with several others: if the player you're sharing a face with doesn't mind, then go for it. 

Reality is an illusion. 

It doesn't bother me because it's only a representation of what your character looks like and it can be incredibly difficult to find a playby that fits your character in certain genres. You aren't casting for a film and not everyone follows celebrity culture, just the shows and films they are a fan of. It's not a good idea to use an actor who's played a certain character in a fandom for an OC in that fandom because it could cause confusion, but on the whole, I don't think it's worth making rules about - people should be able to focus more on the writing.

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1