What genre don't you get?

Rune

Not everyone knows or understands every genre. Maybe you don't get why people would play in a post apocalyptic setting, or you have no idea what a panfandom is.

Ask questions! And if you can answer them, do so!

24 minutes ago, Rune said:

... or you have no idea what a panfandom is...

Okay, I'll bite. What the heckin' heck is the difference between "panfandom" and "multigenre"? /stoopid

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

[Image: oZwmoj.png]
the australian potterverse | we're back in black

Real-life. I know people can be interesting but I'm already living in 'real-life' so I don't understand why it'd be fun to write about normal day-to-day stuff and coffee-shop meetups. From glancing at RL sites while advertising, they seem like they're super focused on romantic ships which is also a bit boring to me. 

My perception of RL sites could be completely inaccurate so feel free to prove me wrong. 

Edited by Rivfader
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

Talking about panfandoms. What do you do on a full-blown one? I mean, I get crossovers, as long as the settings can be merged somehow. But if you can literally play Darth Vader, Arya Stark, Sailor Mercury and Walter White, in what world is that supposed to happen and how does it work?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

UNMASQUED

Vampires are real. Now the world knows about them.

Two biggies for me:

Canon-only sites, of any fandom, particularly those following the established storyline. The story has already been written, guys! I'm glad you're having fun, but can't imagine HOW you're having fun xD

Real life sandbox sites. I wake up in the morning, go work  all day, see some friends, come home, and...roleplay someone doing more or less that? I get writing what you know, but that's a bit too on the nose for my tastes, and I've always been surprised that this is something people want to do 😛

• Agree 4

IKiE2z.png

Can someone explain personified sites to me? Some of the characters seem... Extreme to out in human form. Do they k ow they are, say, Ursula? Or is it just taking her prominent features and putting them into a human bag?

4 hours ago, Rivfader said:

Real-life. I know people can be interesting but I'm already living in 'real-life' so I don't understand why it'd be fun to write about normal day-to-day stuff and coffee-shop meetups. From glancing at RL sites while advertising, they seem like they're super focused on romantic ships which is also a bit boring to me. 

My perception of RL sites could be completely inaccurate so feel free to prove me wrong. 

Hear hear

I could see the appeal if it was some of the more intriguing aspects of real life. If you were a detective or a jewel thief or something, just without any supernatural or fantasy elements. But if it's like you say, and I've seen a lot of sites like that too, the pure slice of life stuff isn't as engaging for me to write in and has to be really up there quality wise for me to want to read 

• Agree 3

ALHgt52.gif

Panfandom could also mean a site where people can do one on one/small group rps when they can't find a site specific to their fandom but where the fandoms don't necessarily cross over with each other. Storyteller's Circle, RP Repository and Creative Freedom come to mind for that.

I don't get 'Modern' settings for a high fantasy type setting. The reason is that people seem to focus on their characters going to night-clubs, fluffy romances, and cafe settings. They tend to forget or leave out aspects of the fandom character from the original setting and just play a character with their name attached to it (sometimes the character's personality and interests are what they think people think are 'cool' and wish they could do themselves in RL - so they are basically playing a character which is a perfect version of themselves in rp.) I've tried doing this with my Tolkien characters when people have turned their characters modern, and although I tried to keep the main aspects of my characters intact, most other people didn't seem to. I ended up disliking it because there seemed to be too much of me in the character. This is why I don't think I'll ever be able to do RL based rps.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sage said:

I don't often watch tv dramas tbh because they're not usually my thing (though Breaking Bad was great!) but yeah, I can see how those sorts of plots would be more fun to write than sandbox. It just seems to me that there's a lot more sandbox than murder-mysteries or other dramatic plots.

• Agree 2

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png

49 minutes ago, Sage said:

Do you watch tv dramas? Like Grey's Anatomy (a hospital drama), Glow (a wrestling drama), Shameless (an alcoholic family drama), Breaking Bad (a drug drama), NCIS (a crime drama), Heart of Dixie (small town southern drama), etc. It's the same thing! Not everyone's into the fantasy or scifi aspect - so it's the same thing you're doing but with that aspect removed. Sometimes, a site will center around a specific aspect like these shows, or it will be a sandbox where all of these different genres and stories are happening together. A lot of them do tend to center around romance these days, but you can find a rare one that also has political intrigue or murder mysteries or something. 

I'm a sucker for slice of life stuff, so these sites can easily appeal to me. But it can be way more interesting than that if you want it to be.

Usually in canon-only sites, they've made a major change to some part of the plot. Like x-event happened differently or didn't happen at all. So they're rewriting the story from that event, which results in a new story. For example, what if Harry Potter had died as a baby?

Or, they take it from a point in the story that wasn't/hasn't been fully explored. Like a canon-only marauders rp, where they focus on the canons during Voldemort's initial reign of terror and write that story that J.K. Rowling hasn't already written out extensively.

Sometimes, canon-only sites will be hyperfocused on a particular event too, where they'll really get into absolutely everything surrounding a particular event that happens in canon. So yes, while it's technically already been written, there are still things to write about that got glossed over. It's essentially just collaborative fanfiction at that point.

I totally have watched some of those but NCIS fits my "detective" example and breaking bad fits my "thief" example although abstracted to a different kind of crime it still does keep the engaging criminal element. The slice of life scenes keep me engaged but mostly as a foil to the other unusually high octane scenarios of criminal exchanges and building an illegal empire and things like that. So yeah - SOL with those kind of non-fantasy elements isn't what I was talking about

• Agree 1

ALHgt52.gif

2 hours ago, ObiWanJabroni said:

Dog or Horse Roleplays. No offense to anyone who enjoys it!

Just animal RPs in general for me. 

11 hours ago, Sage said:

Do you watch tv dramas? Like Grey's Anatomy (a hospital drama), Glow (a wrestling drama), Shameless (an alcoholic family drama), Breaking Bad (a drug drama), NCIS (a crime drama), Heart of Dixie (small town southern drama), etc. It's the same thing!

Actually... No. I hate all of those shows with the exception of maybe NCIS and that's only because I adore Gibbs. I watch shows that are supernatural, sci-fi or fantasy slice of life in nature and wouldn't you know it.. The majority of my RPs are supernatural, sci-fi or fantasty in nature. I've lived life in real life, why would I want to watch it on TV or play it for fun?

This is one of those, to each their own type things. What every floats your goat!

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Sage said:

Do you watch tv dramas? Like Grey's Anatomy (a hospital drama), Glow (a wrestling drama), Shameless (an alcoholic family drama), Breaking Bad (a drug drama), NCIS (a crime drama), Heart of Dixie (small town southern drama), etc. It's the same thing! Not everyone's into the fantasy or scifi aspect - so it's the same thing you're doing but with that aspect removed. Sometimes, a site will center around a specific aspect like these shows, or it will be a sandbox where all of these different genres and stories are happening together. A lot of them do tend to center around romance these days, but you can find a rare one that also has political intrigue or murder mysteries or something. 

See, I can get behind more narrowed RL sites such as a hospital, it's just "here is a town go live there" that I have a hard time getting my head around xD

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

IKiE2z.png