Open Coterie  ·  64 members

Book Club

Impulse Buys?

Rune

I've snagged a couple of books without thinking about it recently. I'm plowing through one and holy crap. It's called One of Us by Craig Dilouie. I went into it with absolutely no expectations and 80% in and I'm terribly pleased with my spontaneous purchase.

AND I got a $3 credit back when buying it. Found another book, The Tethered Mage, for 3 dollars. Bought it without thinking. Looking forward to reading it.

Have you bought anything without thinking recently?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LOVE ME AND DESPAIR
On 7/23/2018 at 12:06 AM, Rune said:

AND I got a $3 credit back when buying it. Found another book, The Tethered Mage, for 3 dollars. Bought it without thinking. Looking forward to reading it.

Reading and LOVING that book right now lol bought it on an impulse myself after reading a Twitter thread the author did about fighting in ballgowns(link here if you want to read it) that was really awesome. I'm already looking forward to getting the next book. Let me see, what else. . . Oh right, I impulse bought and/or pre-ordered:

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi (spotted in Wal-Mart, had to have)

The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo by Tom Reiss (on sale, been wanting to read)

Hard in Hightown by Varric Tethra with Mary Kirby (a Dragon Age novel so I had to pre-order)

The Call of the Right: Flight by Jae Waller (pre-ordered cause been following the author as an artist/writer on dA forever, reading bits and pieces on her world and charries etc, and was so excited she finally got published)

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden (was on sale, been wanting to read it)

Born to be Wilde by Eloisa James (pre-ordered cause I love Eloisa James)

The Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark (pre-ordered cause sounds awesome & beautiful cover; releases in August)

Zero Repeat Forever by G.S. Prendergast (sounds good, on sale)

Sooo basically yes, I impulse buy a lot of things lol but I try to keep it reasonable and go by price. Usually most of them I either do physical copies where I got a deal cause of a coupon, or costs less cause of pre-orders, but otherwise it's usually ebooks that are on sale/have deals unless I have spare money to splurge on the price without a deal.

1 hour ago, Rune said:

@LOVE ME AND DESPAIR - I want to RP in the Tethered Mage world SO BAD. A falcon/falconer pair would be SO COOL.

It would make such a brilliant setting. The way it focuses on the politics? I looove that so much. Not enough books do. And yes, a falcon/falconer pairing would be badass.

• 2 months later...

Latest ones:

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle Book 1) by Patrick Rothfuss
The Traitor Baru Cormorant (The Masquerade Book 1) by Seth Dickinson
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

• 2 months later...

Mostly reference books, a few vocabulary word books, and word search puzzle books.

In the reference department: Anything dealing with character development; maps; geography; encyclopedias; dictionaries; word history books, etc.

Oh, and some video game guides like for World of Warcraft.

Edited by Niasma_Haruki2365
Double Entry

Niasma

• 3 weeks later...

Ebooks for Kindle:
The Calculating Stars: A Lady Astronaut Novel by Mary Robinette Kowal
The Clockwork Countenance by AR DeClerck

Used bookstore haul of awesome(like $6 for all):
The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh (hardcover; spine was so stiff that it seemed unread)
The Fault In Our Stars by John Greene (hardcover; barely used)
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (paperback; barely used)