Multigenre Roleplays

Kit the Human

This is market research as I have never joined a multigenre for reasons I wont share because I don't want to influence responses 😄

What assumptions do you make about any site that is advertised as multigenre? Like, what set up do you expect to see? How structured is it? Have you joined a multigenre and encountered some limitations (what were they)? What hurdles do you think members of multigenres need to jump and how have you seen people address them? What assumptions do you make that are turn offs?

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

What assumptions do you make about any site that is advertised as multigenre? I can't actually think of any real assumptions that I have, though I can be a little judgy as mentioned for the last question. But I will say that I go in more sceptical of a multigenre than a single genre site, because there's a lot more factors that need to be handled, like how all these genres are going to mesh instead of clashing with each other. Like, if your multigenre includes both fantasy and sci-fi, am I going to be expected to come up with scientific reasons for everything or can I handwave transgalactic flight by saying it happens magically?

What set up do you expect to see? At the very least, I want to know how these different genres work together. And if there are species other than human on the board, I will leave if there's not specific outlines for that species' lore (if there are required character traits, required physical traits, something that they all do like the fact that all vampires drink blood). And I want to know if there's a specific thing that brought these characters to the same setting. For example, if you allow the historical genre, how has my character been brought from the 1800s to whenever your board is set? If you allow space stuff, is it realistic to say my character's ship crash landed where the board is set? Was it a space-time portal that characters got sucked into, was it a god messing with peoples' lives, did they just go to sleep and then wake up here? 

How structured is it? This varies from board to board. I've seen a couple boards that lay out the minute details of how things work, down to what your character smelled during their transportation to whatever your setting is. And I've seen others that say "Your characters don't know how they got here, or when or where 'here' is, and we won't tell you what the setting's culture is like". 

Have you joined a multigenre and encountered some limitations (what were they)? I haven't ever actually joined multigenre because none of them have grabbed my attention. 

What hurdles do you think members of multigenres need to jump and how have you seen people address them? Nothing actually comes to mind for this question, for some reason. 

What assumptions do you make that are turn offs? I'll admit that I'm a little bit guilty of judging multigenre or panfandom boards as soon as I see either of those words. I think that the only site plot going on is "oh no I wanna go home!" and that none of the characters are going to be as invested as experiencing the board and forming relationships as they are in angsting about the fact that they're not where they're supposed to be. Maybe I just caught a weird wave of boards/characters that were all focused around that? But it's what comes to mind first. 

• Thank you 1

@kita Thanks for your responses! It reads like when you see a multigenre site, you think of a singular set world where all these disparate elements work together?

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

@Kit the HumanYep! That's been my experience. I know there are also forums that have a subforum for each genre that they allow, but I've never liked those. When I write, I want a concrete plot and set of guidelines that govern the whole board, with the exception of optional events or AU forums. 

• Thank you 1