Songs That Created Characters

Huskerdust

If you've ever seen the movie Holes, you've heard the song "I Will Survive" by Stephanie Bentley, except it's a much shorter version.  It's used for Kissing Kate Barlow's scenes.  It basically inspired my longstanding female character who would do anything to make it, no matter how high the price.  She's my ultimate favorite, completely with cringy dramatic backstory.

560477986_OmneTopsitesBanner.jpg.e4efd3b88a4bc89491a2b81775acca91.jpg

Link

• 1 year later...

The song 'Take Five' by Dave Brubeck was great inspiration for my wannabe James Bond/actually a morally bankrupt scientist character. 

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985

Here's an embarrassing one, heheheh.

I saw Moana and, certainly you're thinking of a myriad of impactful, beautiful songs from that movie! I heard them all, and somehow I came out of the theater ready with for a new character based on... "Shiny."

The idea of a comedic, egotistical, vain character popped into my head and I made him the same night. He has since grown to be a bit of a monster, but he does still have that absurd and comedic vanity and ego about him in the end.

I am pretty sure that one of my characters Aari was created after listening to the song Good Intent by Kimbra. I am sure there were a few other characters that were created from inspiration from songs. Sometimes the lyrics inspire me or the melody and I can practically see these characters in my mind. I think I take a lot of inspiration and a switch is flicked on when it come to writing while view/listening to various media and art.

"Comme des garçons" by Rina Sawayama and it's crazy catchiness might move me to make another character.

4rlXnvM.png

Maudlin
A Post-War Marauders AU, 1985

Haven't acted on it yet, but I've been kinda wanting to make a character based on "Why Should I Worry" from Oliver and Company. So I'm keeping that in my back pocket until I see an opportunity present itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, I have a few! I'm one of those people who, if I get really into it, will make entire playlists based off characters. I feel like once a character has a playlist, I'll end up bringing them back even if I don't get too far with them, you know? 

Some of my favorites: 

Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac: I made a witch character named Rhiannon based off of it with a lot of ties to old druidic legends and stuff. I've used her on a couple of platforms but at the moment, she's part of a sibling pair who chase after immortality and find a way to harvest 'time' off of people's lives, which has been super fun to play tbh. 

The Last of the Real Ones - Fall Out Boy: haven't played it yet, but I was listening to this song and there was one part of the lyrics that goes 'I know this whole damn city thinks it needs you But not as much as I do'  and thought it'd be really cool to have a classic 'hero and damsel in distress' except like, on the outside, it looks like the hero is always saving the damsel, but in reality, the damsel has a power over luck, and because she's always hoping the hero will get lucky and not die and it's her influence that keeps him alive. 

Plastic - Moses Sumney: so this wasn't the only thing that inspired my character, it was this and the Myth of Sisyphus, and it was just a 'fallen angel' character who ran away from heaven after he realized he couldn't save someone he really cared about, so just a disillusioned angel type who's still trying to make it work but constantly just feels the weight of the world, you know, angsty man vibes

Neurosis - Oliver Riot : honestly, this song (and his album) has a lot of like, creepy vibes, and like, I started with the song and eventually made an entire playlist with a same vibe (here if you wanna hear it) kind of inspired by Sense8, and I had a character who's plot was that there were two of them that constantly heard each other's thoughts because they were both telepathic and in tune with each other, and they both spent a long time thinking they were going crazy before meeting each other and realizing that it was each other's thoughts they were hearing instead of their own. 

ahaha sorry for rambling! Got really excited to know that loads of other people do this too hehe! 

spacer.png

A realm of magic and mythology. A Fantasy Fairy RPG

WORLD | CREATURES | DISCORD

• 1 month later...