What're your red flags?

Rune

Message added by Dragon

Please remember that this is a confession thread. 

As such, the intent is for users to express their personal thoughts and feelings about certain behaviors. While not everyone will agree about everything, this is not a space to debate or discuss the opinions shared within. Users who wish to do so are free to create a new thread in the appropriate categories, assuming The Initiative Code of Conduct is adhered to. 

A new red flag for me is if the other person tries to force a ship just because their character saved mine's life. This is from twitter, so I've personally never experienced it on forums. Please have tact and just don't keep your character forcefully kissing mine. If the character say it's too far for their current relationship, don't do it. I honestly won't do ships if it's not really plotted or thrown out as a mutual idea to begin with.

Edited by Dale Bozzio
  • Preach it! 1

giphy.gif

When people start policing other people's characters/IC interactions. I once had someone get upset because my character and a partner's were into a Dom/Sub relationship because "it's abusive and you need to stop writing it". It wasn't, it was completely consensual, and didn't affect this person's (not yet created) character in the least.

But sure, go ahead trying to police stuff you're not involved in. That will make everyone on the site think you'll be a good partner all around.

• Preach it! 2

Shady McShaderson

2 hours ago, Rune said:

Because of one person in particular if the words "I need to post" leave their mouths I immediately assume no posts will ever happen.

Wow, you're just coming straight out to murder me tonight!

• LOL 1

Glub glub.

27 minutes ago, Deep Sea said:

Wow, you're just coming straight out to murder me tonight!

This usually isn't an issue until it becomes all they say. Had one person that was going on 6 months or so of logging on, saying that, then not posting...

• Agree 1
  • You're Welcome 1
  • Cringe 1

My biggest is when someone's OOC name is the same as their character's.

Also when someone's first cbox comment is to complain about a very basic board policy, ie. "why don't you have a word count? good posts are over x words!" Like...  just don't. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

When someone starts referring to my character as being me and their character as being them. (So, instead of "why did your character slap mine?"; why did you slap me?", or instead of "so your character could be a spy!", "so you could be a spy trying to learn my secrets").

The second I see that, I get a very unpleasant chill down my spine and start looking for the nearest exit.

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 3

Shady McShaderson

I have to say the whole (what I call) shortcut through RP/writing by putting player knowledge into play. I just can't do it. Even suggesting it is a big red flag. 

Ghosting threads more than once. Twice I just won't bother any more.

As an admin, I had some guests come in the cbox and begin to tell myself and my co-admin exactly how to "fix" everything that is wrong with our site. Or xyz coding is wrong and they are happy to fix it. Or even worse, likes to tell us how to write our lore because it doesn't exactly work for them. Just nope. If you aren't joining or haven't been a part of things, your unsolicited opinion is appreciated but not especially needed. (For the record I'm bad with coding and still learning so I know there's bugs. Red flag for being rude on that one.)

The "is this active?" question. 

Pretty much a lot of what has already been said, but these were a couple for me.

• Preach it! 1

spacer.pngDecadence

This is more a board red flag than a player one, but a new site moving to a different url. Like, you've only been around two or three months, and you're "looking for a fresh start"? Maybe it's just me, but it smacks of the staff team trying to cover up either drama or inactivity. 

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 2

On 8/11/2018 at 3:22 PM, Shades said:

When people start policing other people's characters/IC interactions. I once had someone get upset because my character and a partner's were into a Dom/Sub relationship because "it's abusive and you need to stop writing it". It wasn't, it was completely consensual, and didn't affect this person's (not yet created) character in the least.

But sure, go ahead trying to police stuff you're not involved in. That will make everyone on the site think you'll be a good partner all around.

I had someone absolutely lose their mind because the phrase "Let's Lannister it up" was used.

Because two characters that aren't related had the same last name and were hooking up. 

• LOL 2

1 minute ago, Rune said:

I had someone absolutely lose their mind because the phrase "Let's Lannister it up" was used.

Because two characters that aren't related had the same last name and were hooking up. 

I can't even think about the appropriate reaction to that.

But I bet the whole situation had 0% to do with them.

And, to not end the post without a red flag, that person who thinks they're so amazing that they take the time to correct everything everyone else posts. Including claiming they're playing their own original character 'wrong' (generally, not having their character do what the other writer wants - often involves shipping).

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1

Shady McShaderson

Oh here's one! A red flag that comes out later is people who need their characters to be liked all the time. Like, not every character is going to like Sally. Please chill.

A similar one is 'people who need their characters to be in the moral right all the time.' C'mon. 

• Preach it! 3

12 hours ago, Beanie said:

Oh here's one! A red flag that comes out later is people who need their characters to be liked all the time. Like, not every character is going to like Sally. Please chill.

A similar one is 'people who need their characters to be in the moral right all the time.' C'mon. 

Thiiis. I had someone join before that wanted to make a character who was part of a faction that is usually made up of criminals. But then they said, "I don't want everyone to hate them." Having a criminal character doesn't automatically make all characters hate yours, but even if it did, who cares? It's way more interesting to write threads with characters that hate mine than like them. Sooo much more conflict and fun. 8D 

• Preach it! 1

rsz_nightborn_signature.png.49b292d20e17d3c29707bfecdb8bb800.png