What're your red flags?

Rune

Message added by Dragon

Please remember that this is a confession thread. 

As such, the intent is for users to express their personal thoughts and feelings about certain behaviors. While not everyone will agree about everything, this is not a space to debate or discuss the opinions shared within. Users who wish to do so are free to create a new thread in the appropriate categories, assuming The Initiative Code of Conduct is adhered to. 

9 hours ago, Kit the Human said:

I believe that this sort of response should be treated as spam 😈 I mean it is isn't? You've got a pointless and annoying message to your request?

People who do this are mentally marked as people I possibly want to avoid as well. I figure there's a good chance that they're pushy or overbearing. Could be wrong! But it doesn't bode well.

I fully agree. Heck, I'd go so far as to say that when it happens within a site, it could be causes for reporting and if the person does it all the time they might get some sort of discipline, but I'm a bit of a jerk. >.<

But trust me, I have given these people chances a few times, and I've never gotten good results out of it. Sure, they may all have been outliers, but... I really don't think they are. 

• Agree 1

Shady McShaderson

A big red flag for me is players who make you "carry" the thread -- i.e., they don't really do or say anything substantial in their responses, letting you carry the thread along to its conclusion. It feels disheartening when you put something interesting in your response and the other side doesn't react to it or address it!

I think my biggest red flag is people who immediately want to smut with my characters or want to place my character into harm's way just so they can initiate interaction between my character and theirs. Like, I know the typical "ran into you on the street" can be a bit cliche, but at the same time, we can discuss in DMs how they met or may already know each other. It doesn't have to start off as a first meeting and it doesn't have to wind up going to smut or extreme pain/gore. It just seems silly and I tend to stray away from those kinds of interactions if at all possible. Especially when I come onto a site and I'm the new person.

• 4 weeks later...

For sites, I think my biggest red flag is inability to chat with people. For characters, I think the biggest one would be obvious signs of them trying to get with my characters when it's obviously not welcomed. 

ad_base.png

• 3 weeks later...

I will immediately dip if the player/character seems too.... invested in themselves? It's not quite godmoding, but it's the closest that you can get away with. Pardon my phrasing, but it's almost masturbatory in it's manifestation.

X and Y character owned by same person have no reason to like/trust each other. X character makes statements/acts in a way to support Y and vice versa. If another character points it out, Y/X says "No... you don't want to do that," when X/Y has every right to side with outside character.... if it wasn't played by the same person.

It's not often, but it's there. Also anyone playing an exemplary child character. The "Oh no, they're an adult, they just chose to manifest as a child." Usually more prominent in supernatural RP. I never understood that, even the Idiot Savant is more appealing to me. Also... it's highly creepy when said player then instigates a romantic (if not sexual) plot with another player...

Nope. Nope. Nope.

• Preach it! 1

BLACK LAND | Plot | Species | Discord

A Modern Supernatural RP with a Midwestern Gothic Vibe

• 2 weeks later...

When a player comes around and immediately starts giving themselves a lofty position without any sort of recourse. It's especially worse when they go off the deep end and claim you're being XYZ because you won't let them control XYZ faction/company. I've had that happen twice.

Sites that specifically state they don't use, or even don't allow, the use of trigger warnings. I've always gotten the impression that they're the "people shouldn't have to cushion rp for you just because you don't like x" kind of assholes. And the justification is usually that "people don't write rape or explicit death" like those are the only two triggers to exist. You do you and all but I like to be able to avoid my triggers and squicks, thanks. 

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, Rugs said:

Coming in and wanting to make the biggest, baddest badass that ever was before even looking over basic things such as the plot. 

...Or the rules.

mooood

• Cheers 1

absinthebanner.jpg

You can find me at: 

absintheaffiliate.gif spacer.png DuellumAffiliate.jpg.300504c568bebb615a1863c5d5947415.jpg static-historicalrp.jpg.25bcabc927a0bcaa

Players that cram as much abuse and emotional torment as they possible can into a character's history to explain how screwed up they made their personality. Also, players who, no matter how positively your character responds to theirs, will always find something that your character said or did to pick at and thus make your character untrustworthy and unlikeable. 

• Preach it! 1

People who drone on about how roleplay is an escape for them, in such a way that, well, makes it all about them. Bonus points if they bring up personal issues and such. 

People who come in and immediately ask about sexual rps, kinks and such. Bonus points if they insist on posting nudes. 

I know it's been said, people who state they want 'professional/mature' partners.

People who are like 'I saw you post over here, so why aren't you posting in my rp!?'

Sites that 'rate' the writing of others in order to determine who gets to write where, or if they are even allowed to write on the site at all (I've only come across a few of these, so I don't know how popular this is any more)

Also, like Croft said, people who insist on having tragic/tormented characters, to the point where they're just either impossible or outright one dimensional and boring. 

• Fuck Yeah! 1
  • Preach it! 1

Drive-by appers, like others have said. 

When every plot/thread suggestion involves the spotlight being on their character. Usually it seems to be their character in various forms of misfortune and needing to be rescued.

"I only play females." I've never ran into someone that says this in the form of a warning/demand that doesn't later give me issues of some variety. 

"Should I...?" Usually followed by "post in XYZ thing?" Any form of wanting their hand held, really. If you can't decide if you want to post in an event, I don't think I want to be responsibile for your posting and mine.

• Preach it! 1

Among my red flags is...

1. Making the RPG all about their character instead of what it should be about.

2. Making it too much around relationships(sex primarily. I admit a little is okay but not when that character is getting it on when they should be helping in the main plot. That is nuts.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I agree with the above - I can't stand it when users have a premade character that they are absolutely unwilling to adjust and expect the RPG to cater around them instead 😞

• Preach it! 1