What're your red flags?

Rune

Message added by Dragon

Please remember that this is a confession thread. 

As such, the intent is for users to express their personal thoughts and feelings about certain behaviors. While not everyone will agree about everything, this is not a space to debate or discuss the opinions shared within. Users who wish to do so are free to create a new thread in the appropriate categories, assuming The Initiative Code of Conduct is adhered to. 

As a staffer, someone who does something on the site without obviously reading the rules/information about the site. I'm not talking about some of the smaller or more site-specific things that someone who's fresh to the community might miss or not realize upon starting. No, some of the more obvious stuff like making a character from the wrong era.

We all slip up sometimes, but come on.

As a player, someone who asks for plots but always tries to set them up just so that their characters look cool. I'm all for spreading the cool points wealth and all, and I don't even mind playing the more inexperienced character in a group or whatever to help others stand out but it's rare that I've had good experiences with players who are only worried about how awesome they look.

• Agree 4

Administrator, Star Wars Universe RP

An AU Star Wars Roleplay set in the Old Republic era

Story | Cast

• 2 weeks later...

People who can't find or totally ignore the IC/OOC line. Just because a character is a jerk to yours, doesn't mean the player is being a jerk to you, specifically.

Also, being unable to cope with the culture of a site. If you don't want smut threads to be something you'd potentially come across, don't join an 18+ site.

• Preach it! 4

34 year old woman living in the eastern US. Time zone is EST.

People who find a way to redirect the conversation back to them and don't engage in ongoing conversation make me wary. I make a big effort to be nice to everyone and helpful and plot and post with them, but if we're never talking about my RP wants and needs then I feel like my efforts won't be reciprocated.

• Like 2
  • Preach it! 2

People that don't read the lore and then wonder why they're having a hard time getting a character approved.

People who get super possessive of another character, regardless of if their character is in a relationship with that one or not.

People who talk about sex/smut or even violence/gore often. I get it, you like those themes. But there's been times I've been made so terribly uncomfortable.

Staff that play obvious favorites.

• Preach it! 1

So, quite a while ago I joined a promising looking medieval-fantasy site. It had a nice skin, lots of interesting lore and all the rest of it. They'd been open for over a year, too. Happy days, thought I, and jumped onto their Discord to say 'hi' and introduce myself before making a character. I was really quite shocked to discover I was literally the only person on the server beside the admin team (3 people). That was the first red flag for me.

Then I read the full rules document and it was something like this:

Only admin were allowed to play royal characters (and the plot revolved exclusively around the royals). Only admin were allowed to play characters with magical powers. Only admin were allowed to have characters with certain pets/animal companions. Only admin were allowed to play characters with certain physical traits. Only admin's characters were allowed to have certain weapons.

Out of curiosity, I scrolled back through the Discord chat log and saw that many, many people had joined. But they had all left without making a character.

So yeah, that site was one massive cluster of giant red flags. I left without making a character. 

• Agree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

New-Project.png

HOME   PLOT

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Parasite Eve

People that feel the need to get really open after a day of coming together for a plot. I was about a day in plotting with some dude who had expressed interest in a plot of mine. Everything was good. Talked about the story, possible characters, and as it was getting late we were wrapping up the conversation. Next thing I know the guy is talking to me about him planning on 'handling himself' and if I could help with a picture. I mean, like what the heck. I ignored him and left the conversation but he kept messaging me from different accounts asking what was wrong. Of course I went to the admins but seriously.

People that think what happens to their character is a personal attack against them.

People that say they're ditch friendly.

• 2 months later...

Generally speaking, from a member POV, staff cursing and being snarky in their rules, documents, etc. Chances are if they're being snotty there, they're probably gonna act however tf they want with you, too.

Ohhh man red flags on players from a staff POV.... probably any godmoder that doesn't correct their behavior after the first warning. Last year, my co-admins and I had a really bad run-in with a few really unfavorable players... all friends.  Lots of godmoding, tantrums (after warnings were sent out), racist slurs in posts, inappropriate joking in the chat when the staff were sleeping, inappropriate posts played on a 0 sex rating RP with a fucking minor in the thread, word-twisting, blackmailing... you name it, it was messy. All three of these individuals were banned eventually; we lost a bunch of members because of it, and we kinda wish we would've acted sooner.

Edited by Sammiie

On 6/25/2019 at 1:16 PM, Rune said:

Bonus points if you say you "don't want to cause drama." Honey, that's exactly what you are doing...

Oh god yes. 

Biggest neon red flag there is. 

• Fuck Yeah! 1

bzC3QQ.png  

Active, fun, established 2008! Come join us. 
Aeterna Roma

Sites I am on; rpabutton.png 

Oh my,.

My red flag goes up when its a constant hook up with any of my characters before the characters have even waved at each other. That push freaks me out and I tend to avoid politely threading with that typist.

The typist like stated above has a thing for the PB that borders on drooling for hours. Creepy

The typist that writes great and get into a writing partnership with you and suddenly if things change becomes your worst nightmare everywhere.

• Agree 1

spacer.png

On 6/25/2019 at 12:16 AM, Rune said:

Any time a player refers to a character as "me" I'm out. Had someone, I shit you not, utter the phrase "I have a mommy and a daddy and a big sissy!" in an OOC box and when met with questions as to WTF they were going on about, they were talking about their character... Whom was a bit too old to be using any of that phrasing IMO.

This, so much this. Insta-cringe. I instantly feel that the person is self-inserting too hard and will lose their shit as soon as someone says or does something less than nice to their character. It took me a while, but nowadays I nope out the second I see this.

Whenever someone joins a canon setting and immediately asks if canon character X is available for shipping, before they even ask if they can make a (type of character) or anything about the actual site. Extra red flags if they say 'my character is involved with this character everywhere, that's just how it is'.

Shady McShaderson

Staff that tells members about behind the scenes drama with other members. 

Some red flags for me include:

• When a portion of a player's character narration is dedicated to passive-aggressively insulting/belittling the character they are interacting with, usually unnecessarily and usually because of OOC knowledge. I call these people the Offensive Monologuers. Now, there is a difference between two characters genuinely having a dislike for each other and one character being in a one-sided battle that the other character doesn't even know about. Sometimes, you can just tell, y'know? And then, you know your character can't respond directly because that would be metagaming. And so you defensive monologue...and then you have an IMW (Inner Monologue War) on your hands.
  • The abnormal obsession with a FC. I get it—I get the hots for Jason Momoa. Butter me up with a little Ryan Reynolds. Hell, tell Lasse Matberg to gimme dem digits. But geez! You cannot demand that someone not use the FC for their Wanted Ad, you cannot make someone drop their character, and you can not bitch to Admin because of your irrational obsession with Jake Gyllenhaal. It is not my or anyone's problem that you have pushed this Wanted Ad for more years than is normal.
  • When people present their characters in a situation with more aggression, anger, or negativity than is necessary, and it is most likely unfitting for the scene. I call these people Projectors, injecting their feelings into their characters. Sometimes, you have to be in the right state of mind to post so that you do not risk making others feel uncomfortable. I actually had a friend (turned ex-friend) who was an extreme projector and it got to the point where my anxiety was triggered every time I RP'd with her. When I finally had the courage to cut ties with her, she did sneaky, passive-aggressive things to guilt trip me. I couldn't understand why in the world she would project her feelings on me and shake me up like she did, I had done nothing to her. But the truth was, she was just really unhappy with her life. Hope she's okay though.
  • When you approach staff with a potential plot, and they give you the Mutombo "no no no"...and then turn around and do the same plot.
Edited by HanSoulo
  • Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

Players who don't understand that life happens and your partner might have to be slower than usual for a bit while they deal with things.

Players who get possessive over other peoples characters--and worse, people who get possessive over other writers.

I can understand this one a little, but it also bothers me, because really? Players who won't join a site just because the PB they want is taken. 

• Agree 1
  • Preach it! 1
[align=center]ad_image.jpg
A "MagicPunk" Roleplay!
~Plot~Guidelines~Faceclaims~Characters~Wanteds~Ads~[/align]