What're your red flags?

Rune

Message added by Dragon

Please remember that this is a confession thread. 

As such, the intent is for users to express their personal thoughts and feelings about certain behaviors. While not everyone will agree about everything, this is not a space to debate or discuss the opinions shared within. Users who wish to do so are free to create a new thread in the appropriate categories, assuming The Initiative Code of Conduct is adhered to. 

Repeat plotters.

Is every single thread they make the same? 

Had someone do 3 separate threads where they wanted their character "rescued." At the same time. Without mentioning the other threads to their partners.  What the hell is your character doing that they need to get saved that many times in a short period of time in modern day America? 

Now, if its a similar plot and discussed/arranged with all involved, sure. But if every thread pans out the same way, especially with their character being the hero/damsel in distress it gets old fast.

• LOL 1
  • Preach it! 2

People that join a lot of plots and then repeatedly stop posting to them, stalling everyone else 

• Preach it! 1

ALHgt52.gif

The biggest red flag for me is what I call the "romance" writers who clearly want to live out their Harlequin Novel fantasy at whatever cost.  Double "Its a Trap" jeebies if they want to per-arrange a pairing between characters instead of letting writing and chemistry happen naturally.

Also, players who announce that their character would love to fuck my character six seconds after I've posted the profile. Had one that did this with every.single.character. I made. Turns out player was just super into writing smut but yeah... nope.

• Like 1
  • Preach it! 2
  • Cringe 1

Respice Finem

Can be found causing mayhem and intrugue at Dawnbreak.

image.png.26f869973cedc9bd084f357aedf7c335.png

When someone joins a site and starts an off the wall concept that is so unfitting it's not funny, without running it by me. Almost makes me think they know the answer is gonna be no, but they do it anyway.

An example. Futuristic cyberpunk RP, and someone makes a character from a 'lost planet' which has a 1700's style technology and aesthetic. Which explains why the character is wearing a redcoat's uniform and carrying a musket.

Just ... no. Go find a site where that kind of character would be appropriate.

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 2

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone making a character with an ultra-tragic background, whose families were all murdered but they - inexplicably - survived. Not only did they survive, they survived after a million and one chances all collided and they were rescued at the eleventh hour. The bestworst one I've seen recently was someone apping a charrie whose entire family was shot by a gang of armed bandits, but her charrie was rescued by a single unarmed servant.

Weepers/fainters/flouncers etc etc. This used to happen a lot in group threads. Someone would just randomly burst into tears, faint or flounce in hopes of making everyone else rally around them. Bonus points if it happens completely out of the blue, apropos of nothing. It's even better when everyone else just totally ignores them. 

I joke about both of the above, but I find the players who do this create OOC drama when everyone else fails to make a big fuss of their characters. 

• LOL 1

New_Project_1.jpg

I've met a few players that jump in, have a million ideas for numerous characters and make as many characters as they can. They tend to plot more than actually roleplay and they end up burning themselves out before they can even begin because they made more characters than they can handle.

Edited by MAD
  • Preach it! 1

903463525_fish-bottlecopy.png.a7f351980f4f165fa67d95fe6297fae5.png

10 minutes ago, MAD said:

I've met a few players that jump in, have a million ideas for numerous characters and make as many characters as they can. They tend to plot more than actually roleplay and they end up burning themselves out before they can even begin because they made more characters than they can handle.

Had one of these recently (on a board I'm not admin of). Player came along, opened a bunch of characters, app two simultaneously (contrary to rules and had to be asked to slow down). Person vanished within three weeks, leaving people in the lurch. 

New_Project_1.jpg

20 minutes ago, Liza said:

Had one of these recently (on a board I'm not admin of). Player came along, opened a bunch of characters, app two simultaneously (contrary to rules and had to be asked to slow down). Person vanished within three weeks, leaving people in the lurch. 

It's very sad for those that actually reach out and begin planning or even roleplaying with them. Just like you mentioned this player doing, they just disappear after a while. The while is never really very long. They seem to hop from site to site like undecisive butterflies on flowers.

903463525_fish-bottlecopy.png.a7f351980f4f165fa67d95fe6297fae5.png

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2018 at 2:56 PM, Garmr said:

The biggest red flag for me is what I call the "romance" writers who clearly want to live out their Harlequin Novel fantasy at whatever cost.  Double "Its a Trap" jeebies if they want to per-arrange a pairing between characters instead of letting writing and chemistry happen naturally.

Also, players who announce that their character would love to fuck my character six seconds after I've posted the profile. Had one that did this with every.single.character. I made. Turns out player was just super into writing smut but yeah... nope.

Oh THIS one is always a huge red flag for me. And never ends well when they come in firing on all cylinders expecting and wanting a pre arranged pairing because either a) they are a fan of a particular canon pairing to a fandom.  Or b) they have a thing for a face someone is using. 

As for the second part. Always one of the worst flags for me. Extra 'danger points' for those who do it to any and all characters an admin has. Or those who come in announcing in their app that their character 'is always down for one night stands, with men, or women'.

My other big ones are the members who register but just spend the majority of their time guest stalking the site rather actually being present, or doing anything.

And the excuses brigade. Those who forever have excuse, after excuse for taking a very, very long time to even bother submitting an app.  It really does not fill me with confidence they're going to do anything. If they ever do finally post an app.

Those who join and immediately question the activity requirements, and any age restrictions. This pretty much indicates to me that they're not intending to meet them, in terms of activity. And already do not meet them in terms of age restrictions. 

• Agree 1

I get nervous when people first join and start throwing out full scale mass plots or secret factions or revolts or whatever... I have no problem with this whatsoever and I love members getting involved and creating big stuff for the site. But I personally am the kind of person to dive into stuff really fast and really hard and on the back of that I also hit burn out or drop things without warning. That's why I'm not an admin of my own site - I'm useless on anyone else's. So, this kind of gung-ho attitude makes me a little nervous that people might be following in the footsteps I know very well.... And I know where they lead. Plus, I'm always up for adding these changes in when people suggest them and helping in these big plots but it becomes a massive issue if that person then leaves and I have to clear up the mess.... -.-

Racist creeps. I won’t even hesitate to ban assholes who decide it’s okay to comment on “too many Asians.” Get out. 

• Agree 2
  • Cringe 1

Reality is an illusion. 

"So, how much smut is this roleplay going to have?"/"What are your kinks?" as the first question someone sends me, before even knowing what the plot is. Sure, I know, people like smut. But if that's all someone wants, they're better off looking for it themselves than trying to make someone else's plot all about satisfying their kink.

• Agree 1
  • Cringe 1

Shady McShaderson

This thread makes me feel like I’ve been living under an rp rock. I also now want to make a character who constantly bursts into tears and flounces. And I have no idea what this magical tone is, which I need to because apparently I suck as a people judge.

Anyone who complains about how certain people only plot/ship with certain people, but then turn around and do the exact same thing. I just don’t get it. Probably a specific spin off of the previous mentioned: “you replied to x more thab meeeee.” 

• Agree 1
  • LOL 2

88x31buttondandy.png

3 hours ago, dusk said:

Anyone who complains about how certain people only plot/ship with certain people, but then turn around and do the exact same thing. I just don’t get it. Probably a specific spin off of the previous mentioned: “you replied to x more thab meeeee.” 

See, I tend to do comms when I'm on my phone and I'll quickly post back and forth to those when I don't have time for an involved reply to a regular/non-comm thread. And some people get weird about it with that whole "they got more replies than meeee!" business. So I know that feel. 

Reality is an illusion. 

Seeing someone who constantly says that they don't know who plays what character, or that they don't who any characters are.   to me, this just shows that they don't really care about getting to know the players and characters on a site, or bother trying to make an effort to look at the member directory.  A lot of times it often feels like they expect to have plots thrown at them without making any real effort, or don't bother to look up my chars if I do throw ideas at them. 

people who complain when a site plots interfere with their own personal plots.  like, these are meant to get you excited about things to come, and I'm sure you can get creative and find a way to use the events to help add more to your personal plots.  i just feel like this is usually a sign that people just don't care about help to add more to the overall plot, and just want to have one on one rps with one or two people while ignoring everything else.  which if you're going to do that, please go elsewhere.  go to a site that's more sandbox style that doesn't have an overarching plot, or just rp over google docs, discord, or email or something.