When you create your characters, are they influenced by anything?

Jerriah

Many people create characters influenced by music, a movie, books, etc. Are any of yours influenced by anything? Do you think in the future you'll make one influenced by anything?

My current character was influenced by a playlist I made about a year ago which is a complete mess, but she's a mess too so it's okay lmao!

Oooh. This is an intriguing question! I think I would have to answer yes because I don't believe any of us create something without being influenced.

My characters just sort of getting made. I don't know how to describe it. I think of something - probably from mythology, fantasy or some drama that happened in school and bam. Those emotions and experiences get put into a character.

I have playlists that go with my characters, but I can't say that they actually influenced their creation, so much as solidified their emotions, and made them more relatable and easier to get into.

I've used art as a way to aid in creating a character. I find art (or a gif maybe) that matches a sort of personality/ mood that I want to play and then I describe my character the way that art is - even if it is abstract. Yet this feels similar to the above where I have the character in mind, the art just helps me find the words.

With that said, I have modeled dragon hide and personalities after things like Metals, Gemstones, Benders (from Avatar & Korra) so in this case, yes. I've taken heavily from outside sources as the seeds for certain characters.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sometimes they are influenced by myself or other people or they come from some music that I heard.

Hey!

Almost always music. 

Reality is an illusion. 

My characters are a mix of traits and names from movies, books, music, other people's stories and people I have known once.

My inspiration can come from books, tv shows, sometimes music. What often happens is I'll mix traits of similar characters, along with my own interpretations of things, and see how they evolve. So while my characters may *start* inspired by things, they often go so far off track to be entirely different. 

Each character of mine is influenced by so many things. For example, I have one based on Captain Nemo from 20000 Leagues under the sea. He even has some Don Quijote sparkled in there. Those are the two most prominent influences on that character, but there are many more.

I find the more you mix in there the more you make it your own.

• Love 1

903463525_fish-bottlecopy.png.a7f351980f4f165fa67d95fe6297fae5.png

• 2 weeks later...

Character ideas tend to come and eat my brain when I'm traveling. I suppose it's something that comes from not being in familiar surroundings. I do notice that it starts with one base trait of the character and then over time grows, I suppose that's why I have mixed feelings about character profiles and applications is because I know the character is going to grow and change beyond the confines of what I originally lay out.

Respice Finem

Can be found causing mayhem and intrugue at Dawnbreak.

image.png.26f869973cedc9bd084f357aedf7c335.png

My inspiration usually comes from some new feature of the human condition am learning about or longing to explore. So... sometimes it's real life, sometimes a movie triggers the need for exploration, and sometimes it is purely "I wonder what it would be like to be in the head of a character who (insert human condition)..." 

tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

My inspiration was from the movie home alone. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mine are usually influenced by characters in other books, games, movies, etc, or people I know irl. 🙂

• Like 1

2vyeCC8.jpg

RULESBEGINNER'S GUIDELOREADVERTISING

We're a 3-3-3 freeform medieval fantasy RPG! Come have some coffee (or ale) with us and have a good time! <:

I don't think that a character's creation has ever been directly influenced by a song, tumblr post, whatever. But there are definitely some characters where I've had additional ideas from such things. Especially for canon characters, seeing a headcanon on tumblr or reading a fic or something can make me see something about them a different way. 

A lot of my characters are inspired that just come to me after a particular moment.  Sometimes the inspiration is simply that I want to try writing a certain type of characters, and a lot are inspired by movies, tv shows, and video games.  Then there are the ideas that just kind of sneak up on me unexpectedly, like in my dreams, and I'm hit with so much inspiration that I have to write things down about them. 

I also get inspired just by browsing wanteds on a site.  I tend to love wanteds, and when I read on that catches my interest it can take me less than a day to figure out what I want to do with such a character.  

Ooh this is a fun question. Mine are absolutely influenced by music, to the point where hearing a certain singer's voice will give me instant muse for the character. The tone of the music often pushes my characters one way or another, and I find out along the way. But they also are influenced by what dynamics I want to explore, and, what I am reading at the moment. For one of my characters, I wrote him up right after reading Catcher in the Rye for the first time, and I swear I have accidentally written Holden Caulfield into this character. The site I am on uses real life face claims, so my characters are also often influenced by the face claim. I will set time aside to watch their shows and listen to their interviews to try and get a good grasp on the way they talk, the way they move, the way they sound, etc. I have a lot of fun pulling in all those little influences and seeing what muse comes out of it.

gifbutton.gif

My characters are from tv show but to be honest there's not many people who wanna join.