Do you write new characters for sites or reroll them to suit?

Rune

For me it.... really depends.

Sometimes I have a group of friends on one site who bring over certain characters who still have my characters included in my history so I'm like 'ok lets do this' so said character already has people ready and waiting to plot with. It's also interesting to play the same characters in different settings and find out how they'd live their lives.

On the other hand though, I love having new ideas each time but writing new apps drives me up the wall because.... I'm lazy.... but I also have so many ideas. It's such a difficult balancing act but the challenge is awesome.

I'd say about 90% percent of the time I make new characters for each site. I don't know I just really like the diversity. I enjoy creating characters and their back stories.

“There's a scream permanently lodged in my throat now.”
― Michelle McNamara

It honestly depends. There are plenty of characters that I have nothing but love for and I'd gladly spread them across the internet like a pox. The problem is that some of these characters are so intrinsically tied to one setting or another that they don't really fit all that well on other sites. That said, if I can change the bio just enough so they'll fit in another setting, I totally will.

mFOWUnt.png
HOME | LINK BACK | PLOT

It's been seven hundred years since a great plague has swept the galaxy, devastating the Jedi and Sith and leaving civilization in ruins. From these ashes, three fledgling empires have arisen, resilient and powerful; the Corellians, the Hutts, and the Mandalorians. Will you pick a side and lead your people to glory? Or will you lurk in the shadows, bent on nothing but your own goals? Step into the Dark Age and carve your name into the stars.

rJP1Oql.png
PLOT|RULES|WORLD|BEGINNER'S GUIDE |RACES |WANTED ADS|ADS AND AFFILIATES

I make new characters, but when I look back at my character history, I can see the same character types being used. Sometimes they end up being more similar to each other than I intended. There are only two times where I copy and pasted, then edited to fit in the new site. 

dcsEFuW.jpg

The SGC is part of the group, Federation Sim Fleet.

Both. I'm more comfortable joining a new site if I'm able to Re-Roll a previous character to fit the setting. However after that first character I usually roll entirely new ones for the site thereafter. 

• Agree 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I vary widely. I have some characters I love to death and reroll, but other times I walk in, get inspired, and hop on a brand new pony. Just depends on the game for me~

• Agree 1
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

I create a character that is suited for that writing group. I stay away from writing groups that play with canon characters and I don't even like to play one of my characters on another writing group if they are already part of another. It makes no sense, same storyline/timeline and having a character on the same spot in two different locations. 

Keeper RaWolfe

Owner of the Exonia Realm

I have both. There are some staple characters I am super comfortable with that I try out, and if they fit in and work cool, if not, I'm always happy to make new! I usually do a mix of both.

1 hour ago, RaWolfe said:

I create a character that is suited for that writing group. I don't even like to play one of my characters on another writing group if they are already part of another. It makes no sense, same storyline/timeline and having a character on the same spot in two different locations. 

My characters are suited for that setting, but it doesn't mean they aren't suited for others too. I like it, seeing it as two different stories, just that they don't have the same timeline/ storyline when they are in different locations 🙂 Only the same personality and some common background traits.

When I started writing Marina and Andrea I was 10 or younger. They had been in contemporary stories, in Western ones (I was 12), in a Viking one around 1040 (my debut novel), in a  seafaring story in the Mediterranean and then in Africa in 1700s and surely there had been more that I forgot about. Sometimes the brother wasn't named Andrea, but Virgil. As for RPGs, they were in the Age of Sail in 1719/20, 1726, 1739 and 1750s (getting the playbys of Hilary Swank and Alain Delon). 

Also Sigurd was written first for my debut novel, when I was 19. Since RPGs, he was in 3 different Viking ones (1040s, 750s, and another which was slightly more fantastic to have a concrete timeline). He also was in various urban fantasies (including being a merman) and in an arranged marriage site, where he was a policeman in a slightly future.

Maribel was written first for a RPG set in Moulin Rouge in 1890s, as a dancer. Then she got brought to 3 Age of Sail sites (1739, 1750s and 1719/1720, one as an innkeeper, two as a prostitute), to a Western site (a saloon girl in 1860s) and the bio was changed for other environments too (where I didn't actually write the story): a travelling circus in the late 1800s, a dystopia, etc.

Even if their stories have some common traits, they are different, because they live in different times, environments, and meet different characters in their stories.

Edited by Elena

I have a couple I will consider rerolling every chance I get because they're cute and tragic and I love them but mostly I do new ones to best suit the world 

• 2 weeks later...

I find myself using the same character just reworking his history to fit whatever site I bring him to but then end up creating a new one after a while.

• 5 months later...

I've redone exactly two characters, one just on my own when I had barely RP'd them and the site closed without warning, the other was because myself and my writing partner really wanted to continue the characters as a pairing, so we tweaked their shared history for the new site (which my writing partner had created so it was an easy fit for us). I really enjoy creating a new character to fit a new setting or site. I have a never-ending list of ideas I want to explore, and I also take into account wanted ads, or demographics, or what a site is lacking as far as character types when I create a new one. I like to use it as a challenge, really. Plus for me, so much of a character is their relationships and experiences. In most cases, I feel that a character would become an entirely different person if I put them in a brand new setting, and that would muddy the waters for me when I'm writing. I also can't RP future things or AU things for this same reason.

Depends on the site(s) and they people I'm writing with, honestly. I've done both!

Find me at:

Sunrises and Sunsets - Never-Ending Stories

I can do both. But it just depends on the backstory of the site itself (if there's one) then I tweak the characters own backstory to suit it. If not if I don't want to mess with my character's story , then I create an entirely new background for a new character to fit in on the site. 

I like consistent story lines. If the place they're from didn't die and have a mass migration, it's generally a new character.

I am guilty of revisiting favorite tropes, though. We all have our niches.

By Wit & Whitby

[Plot] | [Rules] | [Wanted] | [Discord]

18+ | Victorian Era | No App | No Word Count |

PoC & LGBT-friendly | Newbie-friendly