Archetypes you Hate...but still play

CovertSphinx

What kinds of characters do you just LOATHE to play. For whatever reason, you never really fall into a "niche" with them, and often drop that character shortly after making it. BUT for some reason, you find yourself trying again every so often. Maybe as a challenge to your mental fortitude or writing prowess, maybe because like going to White Castle you forgot why you don't do it, or any other number of reasons. 

For me, it's the 100% innocent FluffyChick. I can't, for the life of me, do Fluff personas. The totally naive`, cute-but-stupid, natural love interest (well, trope-wise at least). I just....it physically HURTS me to drop the idiot ball that drives these Damsel-In-Distress magnets. Yet, I have like a sick fascination with trying to "get it right" and insist on torturing myself every so often by creating one. 

• Like 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Interesting question...

I find myself writing them on the spotlight characters do whatever they are or have. Something I personally hate, but somehow I get drawn to write about. Sadly this applies to almost all kind of characters lol I try to keep a hold onto myself with it.

• Like 1

Keeper RaWolfe

Owner of the Exonia Realm

I AM SO WITH YOU.

I have a REALLY hard time making genuinely nice characters. I don't find them interesting. Maybe it is because I spend half my day being nice and playing nice that when I get home I want to play the meangirls and the villains and the DUDES. I keep trying. I keep making nice guys and gals in the hopes that I'll play them, but I just can't.

I also try to make jokesters every now and again, and I can do it for a hot minute and then I remember, wow this is really difficult to play out, better luck next time!

I'm so bad at making nice characters that when I do, my friends laugh at me. We try. We try so hard to stay in character and play this out, help me grow outside of my comfort zone, but there's just something really sarcastic and awful about me trying to play or write the hero of the story that is literally laughable. 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Zahhy said:

I have a REALLY hard time making genuinely nice characters. I don't find them interesting. Maybe it is because I spend half my day being nice and playing nice that when I get home I want to play the meangirls and the villains and the DUDES. I keep trying. I keep making nice guys and gals in the hopes that I'll play them, but I just can't.

PREACH IT. That might actually be half my problem right there. I literally get paid to mend tragic wounds with honey and sugar. By the end of the day, I barely have enough emotional energy left for my husband and child sometimes. 

• Preach it! 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

The new guy/gal.  I give it a shot but I'm terrible at it.  I don't need to play the boss but I do poorly with characters just starting out.  

Younger people.  I've tried playing teenagers but I've seldom do well with it.  

Definitely some overlap in these. 

A lot of my characters have fairly outlandish and strong personalities (they either talk a mile or a minute, or they have weird thought processes, or they're just ambitious and cold-blooded), so to balance that I always try my hand at the quiet workhorse who does whatever the superior says without question. Unfortunately, those kinds of characters never let me into their head, because there's either not a lot going on there besides "must obey the rules" or because they purposely stifled those parts of their brain to better conform.