Tropes!

Rune

Anything involving impregnation or pregnancy like that stuff bugs me. I absolutely dislike it because it centers a plot way to heavily. That and it's overdone. 

rpgdbutton2.png&key=dfb05af7bfa27396287d83219050c087a693d5129f138b5d126d1f2f5979e350watchaffiepurple.png&key=00171f06b95e74ffa2ed833f2f78f69c54c8d62932cebe6c4f5169ccd7f9c713
HOME // FORUM // NEWSLETTER // DISCORD ] 

5 minutes ago, Bezyle said:

Anything involving impregnation or pregnancy like that stuff bugs me. I absolutely dislike it because it centers a plot way to heavily. That and it's overdone. 

I'm with you there. Even characters that WANT kids get it pushed to a back burner for me. 

I'd like to see more beefy werewolf ladies winding up with human men instead of the other way around.

• Agree 1
  • LOL 1
  • Preach it! 1

The plain ones, the characters that got no real background in terms of living. "Nothing happens in my life that is exciting" I mean, every character is unique due what they have seen, felt or done in their life, that forms their character. If the character is dull, I fear for the worse in further development. 

Keeper RaWolfe

Owner of the Exonia Realm

In  no particular order...

Tropes White List (Love em' and use them a lot)

• Action Girl
  • Crazy Prepared
  • Beauty Equals Goodness
  • Reasonable Authority Figure
  • Badass Bookworm

Tropes Black List (Avoid like the plague)

• Conveniently An Orphan
  • Hollywood Tactics
  • Idiot Ball
  • But Thou Must
  • Easy Amnesia
Edited by Lawman

God do I love "enemies to lovers" and "friends to lovers" as tropes. Love them. 

I'm over the "rebellious princess/rich girl" trope.

• Agree 2
  • Preach it! 1

High school student transported to a fantasy world!

It's got its own genre name in Japanese because it's so prevalent in their young adult literature, but omg.... I love it. I never get tired of it. I NEVER get tired of "fish out of water" tropes.

• Love 3

Glub glub.

@Lawman I want to give you a special shoutout for making me feel like I was diving into some good TV Tropes reading. I LIVE ON THAT SITE. Sometimes. 

UNHOLY MATRIMONY is my current absolute favorite and I'm itching to play it again like a junkie in need of a fix. There's just something about two equally troublesome villains banding together in a steamy alliance and playing out all the backstabby twists and turns between them that stokes my inner Soap-Opera-Queen. Somehow Villain Drama is much more exciting than normal drama to me, idk why. 

• Love 1
  • Cheers 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

Tropes and archetypes! There are so many!

My favorites are wide-ranging and dependent on the genre that I am writing in. However, I am a sucker for a great bromance! Best buddies in trouble stories get me every time. What I don't like are the buddy scenarios where one character is practically a superhero and the other is a shrinking violet. It is important for me that they have complimentary skillsets.

I am also a fan of your basic, old-fashioned good guys (and gals) versus out and out bad guys (and gals). I like my villains intelligent and sophisticated but come on! Make them villainous not a troubled anti-hero.

Over the years I have come to dislike the I am hot and you must fall for me types of characters or any of the tropes designed to elicit a preordained reaction from other characters. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Someone somewhere went to sleep and dreamed us all alive.
Dreams get pushed around a lot, and I doubt if we'll survive.
We won't get to wake up, dreams were born to disappear.
And I'm pretty sure that none of us are here.
~ None of Us Here by Jim Stafford ~

sagas-button1.png.467e9214ee1a2d2a24c0030301948c27.png 

RPG-Initiative

*your one-stop RPG resource site!

5 hours ago, Stormwolfe said:

Over the years I have come to dislike the I am hot and you must fall for me types of characters or any of the tropes designed to elicit a preordained reaction from other characters. 

Counterpoint: I can make a player's day by having my character react to theirs in the way they expect. Old fantasy high school RP I was in, there was an alpha bitch character. I'm fuzzy on what mythological creature she was, exactly, but I think some sort of siren because her gimmick was that she was so alluring with her glamor magic that boys were basically falling over her.

Every other character was like "I am too aloof and brooding to fall for this", but man, I made that player's day when I had my character literally trip and fall off the school bus because he was drooling over her.

It's too bad that RP died off in the third page, because it would have been hilarious to have him slowly turn into her personal boy-servant...

Countercounterpoint: Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Glub glub.

• Operations Mod

I happen to love pregnancy plots. There's so much to do with them. Doesn't matter if its a wanted pregnancy, results in a shotgun wedding, a loss - its all gravy. I have some amazing ones going right now. 

I even enjoy the intentional "trap that man" plot assuming I know the other writer isn't going to go psycho when my guy tells her to fuck off anyway. 

On 7/31/2018 at 8:09 PM, CovertSphinx said:

UNHOLY MATRIMONY is my current absolute favorite and I'm itching to play it again like a junkie in need of a fix. There's just something about two equally troublesome villains banding together in a steamy alliance and playing out all the backstabby twists and turns between them that stokes my inner Soap-Opera-Queen. Somehow Villain Drama is much more exciting than normal drama to me, idk why. 

Definitely this. 

I'm in the middle of one of these plots now between two crime lords. Their organizations are at war but they're slowly drawing to one another even though He got Her husband killed - its all so perfectly twisted. So delicious. 

Enemies or Friends to lovers. 

Romeo and Juliette-esque scenarios. 

Anti-heroes are lovely. 

I hate hate hate super heroes. 

• Like 1

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

37 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I hate hate hate super heroes. 

There's an Imp I have, which I absolutely ADORE, who it the most bubbly and anti-brooding Lancer you'll ever meet in a "hero party" (or the dragon if I have her being antagonistic) - Part of her Shtick is that she LOATES your stereotypical "everything is black and white", "I know everything", "The world is on MY shoulders and its my weight to bear" and Arrogant/Atlas hero-archetypes (I call them Paladin-Types). It makes for some great intra-party conflict. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I am enjoying one of my characters who is a ridiculous Social Climber. Innocently Insensitive. Housewife. Always having people over for tea. And all her plotting to raise her social status. 50% of her character is basically based on Hyacinth Bucket from keeping up appearances. Hehe... she's just so ridiculously tropey but makes for the funniest threads. I also NPC her Henpecked Husband who she's always trying to rush out the way and hide when her important guests are coming over. 

I guess the trope I'm annoyed with is the 'marriage and kid solves all problems'... like I love writing love stories but I love it more if the love story does not have a Cinderella ending. Where two characters can be hopelessly in love and even when they've gotten married, had kids, there is still either inner relationship turmoil, or outward turmoil. Just gets dry to me to write good old fashioned perfect fluffly marriage plots lol.

• Agree 1

My love definitely has to be the slowburn that's so painfully slow you want to cry. If my character's aren't in pain 90% of the time then something is usually wrong with me.

but one's that I really hate are using marriage and kids as the only endgame for a story and the plot just kinda ends there? You know when everyone is always just cutesy all the time and makes everyone on the board a little sick.

tumblr_nx4ienk1Vz1uci4p8o1_500.gif