Do you put your rp experience on your professional resume?

Sage

People in the rp community are always shocked when I tell them that I put my roleplay experience, namely my staffing positions, on my professional resume. So I'm wondering - does anyone else do this or is it just me?

I'll be honest and say that the last rp site that I helped run actually got me the job I have now. Granted, I work at a magazine so "writing" in general is a skill you need to have. But being able to link the site to my interviewer is what made me her top candidate. It's my hobby, something I'm passionate about, and she was really into that - it was something different that made me stand out, and a tangible qualifier for a lot of the "skills" section of my resume. It helped show her not only my writing skills (writing/editing all the documentation, including rules, lore, etc.), but my management abilities, community engagement, ability to collaborate, web design...though I have since left that particular community, I've encouraged my fellow former staff to do the same thing, since we all collaborated and published that material together. 

Have you ever done this? Why or why not? What's your experience with doing this, or the hesitation that keeps you from putting it there?

• Love 1
  • Great Idea 1

translunary.gif.5374a61b67b4df1af4bb898e0c039553.gif

a dark, urban fantasy;

inspired by sailor moon

I have and it got me a job! I used to moderate on a large RP forum, a few thousand users. So, I put it on my resume under the volunteer work section (because, you know, this was college and my only other job experience was bagging groceries), and it got me a federal internship....

.... which made my resume look extra good to the company president at my current job.

• Love 2

Glub glub.

• Admin

I absolutely do actually. Employers like to see hobbies and volunteer work. It actually makes you seem more diverse etc. RPG Initiative and all of my many jobs here are always on my resume and I actually encourage staff to put it on their resume too. In fact if they ask me for a recommendation I'll write them one.

• Love 2
  • Cheers 1

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

If I needed, I would have done this, and I recommended my younger writing partners to do it (while working with them on how it should sound professionally). I didn't need it because I had got management, marketing and communication skills during work, before discovering RPGs (at the ripe age of 41). Working in EU Affairs/ EU project management tops managing RPGs... (If I knew how to code and do graphics, yes, there would have been an asset more I would have mentioned). Sadly I don't have the technical skills.

Edited by Elena
  • Love 1

I actually never considered the possibility to add it towards my resume. In my work field, I don't see it as helping me that much, I am still a student and the field I will be working got to do with public safety. So got no much value to add it.  But for those that are writers, journalist, game developers. It might be a great idea to add it. 

• Agree 1

Keeper RaWolfe

Owner of the Exonia Realm

Not only, @RaWolfe! Computer knowledge, management, marketing and communications knowledge are useful in most jobs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Fuck Yeah! 1

• Admin

Additionally, in general contributing/volunteering your time is looked upon favorably as well as having hobbies and things outside of your scope of work. It shows them that burnout is unlikely.

• Agree 2

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

I never thought to add it to a resume but I doubt it would do me any good currently. Haha!

Reality is an illusion. 

• Operations Mod

No. I'd never risk putting it down on a resume or mention it in an interview, for the same reason that I use social media minimally - that kind of internet footprint is dangerous. Saying you're a collaborative writer is all fine and good till that potential employer tracks down your activity and finds that you've written something they find offensive or whatever. People lose their jobs over less every day. 

Then you're out a potentially good job, and depending on what was being applied for you could be screwed in a much broader circle.

bannerlong.png

0_mainsignature (1).jpg

rpgida.png

Icon & Profile set by The Inquisitor of Dragon Age: Absolution

I absolutely don't, I don't want any employers knowing what I do on the internet. >.> 

I have journalism experience and that usually covers anything writing-wise, so there's also no need for me to include it. 

• Agree 1

I put html/css, typing speed, and writing proficiency on mine. So.... -squint- kind of?

I've also used admin and mod experiences as my story examples of "handling disgruntled employees/customers" or what have you. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
tumblr_ovxhy4cZLY1wtsmmno3_r1_100.jpg

Today my boss and I talked about it. I teach English and she was interested in the fact I run a "Collaborative Writing Site". I explained it all and she thought it was pretty cool (at least that is what she told me). I also put things like my graphic work experience, management, and delegation skills/Attention to detail skills when I talk about it. 

I think RP experience if spun properly can always be a way to set yourself apart and just stand out.

• Love 2

staticaff.png

Yes and no. 

I technically haven't used RP specifically as a resume point, but I was able to use the graphics/coding work I've done FOR my past RPs to pad things a little bit. For my particular job set, my cosplay experience ended up being a better hobby to dress up and insert for skillsets. 

OnyxSiggy1.jpg.c76f2c1acc64a865bdf5164f4c085020.jpg

I have definitely used forum hosting on my resume in the past, when I was younger and had like nothing else to put. Being able to say I made and moderated a forum with 50 writers on it managed to get me a scholarship at university! Lol... hardly expected that but they saw the dedication as something they liked. Right now I am a stay at home mom, I have not had an 'official' job beyond that in 7 years, if I were to be applying for work I would definitely put my recent online experiences there. Both my writing forum, and the craft swap group I run and moderate on FB. It is time spent on a focused task/hobby/volunteer work, as well as a community building effort. Requires all sorts of brainstorm and following through on things and with people.

• Love 2