Character Caps

Rune

I'm pretty ambivalent about character caps as a player - I don't have a need to have so-so many characters so long as I have at least one that's got good plots going. Seeing the absence/presence of a char cap wont turn me off a place. It also makes sense for some sites. You get people playing 10 characters, some in higher positions, but they're not using them and holding up stuff for others. Individual sanctions or a rule specific to important characters works well there, I think.

As an admin I've had various iterations of a character cap. One was three active characters, more if you were active on all. That one fell away pretty quickly, it wasn't really a useful cap. An early one was simply restricting a certain group of characters from being played unless the played had made a character in a different group and been active for a month. The fandom it was in meant that restricted group was the most popular and it was an attempt at warding off a) a mass influx of them and b) people coming in for a kick and then dumping us. It worked and we kept it like that for several years. Another variation only capped characters in a certain group (the same really popular one mentioned earlier), which was hit and miss, so that fell away.

static-historicalrp.jpg

"Indiana was the dog!"

On 8/14/2018 at 7:53 AM, JD Hart said:

I have the rule that you can have as many characters as you like but you need to have 5 IC posts with all of your current characters before you make a new one. Just to make sure that characters don't get left by the wayside.

I also stress in both my site overview (which people read before they start) and in my rules that we are a quality over quantity site. If they can handle a lot of characters and write them all well AND keep to the activity requirements on the site I have zero issue with them creating three dozen of them. If, on the other hand, they are stretching themselves thin, I then have a leg to stand on regarding the quality/quantity argument and I can go and talk to them about it and (if need be) come up with a really awesome plot for killing off one of their characters (which members seem to really like if they're looking to get rid of one of them lol)

I like this a lot! I've always been pretty free with how many characters people can have, but I've also had issues with people half-abandoning them. I'm thinking about have a 3-4 initial allowal, then maybe them having to have a certain number of posts like you have before they can make more!

Join us at Home Free, a nostalgic, realistic horse roleplay!

So, yeah, you definitely need to show you can handle it, right? Don't let people app unlimited characters off the rip, because there's enough people who JUST like apping and not so much playing that you make a lot of useless work for yourself as an Admin.

On the actual CAP question, I think it depends on the site. Like, on a big fandom site (it's not a shameless plug if you feel you have to say 'shameless plug') you don't want one person scooping up 10 canon characters, and you definitely don't want a lot of people doing that, because then that becomes the culture and while there are some unicorns out there, most people can't support 5+ characters with love and passion. Someone will get short shrift and those threads will languish, which is a huge challenge for anyone who doesn't have 5+ characters to bounce back and forth between.

Now, on a more OC-centric site, especially non-fandom, I can't see any real reason to have a character limit.

E5zAKhe.gif

Guest BETA BLUE

I have a site Marvel/DC. There are tons of canons to go around.  Ten IC pots are the max because there are people that go crazy and forget they actually need to post.