Questions about phpbb?

Jaxx

Hellooo it's your resident idiot with too many questions again.

How can I switch the miniprofile to the left side instead of the right? Can I add stuff like fields for nicknames, age, gender, etc? 

I found some skins that I like but I don't know how to install them. Little help?

Would I be able to transfer over a skin made for jcink to phpBB? Can banners have a hover function? Can I have a sidebar/chatbox that can be toggled? 

Are there subaccounts? How are they accessed? 

I think I've seen tagging on php boards but I don't know how to do that? 

Edited by kita
removed questions that had been answered

• Admin

Well first it looks like you installed the forum in a subforum. By that when you used sofaculous to install you didn't clear out the "folder" field. You would need to do a few things to resolve that, first you would need to edit the settings of the installation and move the files. Or you can reinstall and clear out the "folder" field.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

Profile set made by myself and original Artwork by Fae Merriman, my daughter.

5 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Well first it looks like you installed the forum in a subforum. By that when you used sofaculous to install you didn't clear out the "folder" field. You would need to do a few things to resolve that, first you would need to edit the settings of the installation and move the files. Or you can reinstall and clear out the "folder" field.

Oh awesome, thank you so much!

• You're Welcome 1

• Admin

So to address your other issues. The placement of the author pane on phpBB is on the right. It would be a theme level change to get it on the left, which I believe there are some good themes out there that can do that for you. For installing, most of them are something that I believe you can install using an XML file (at least with phpBB3) and is done in the ACP.

Do you have a theme you are wanting to install that you can show me?

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

How can I switch the miniprofile to the left side instead of the right? 

If you want to do this to the default prosilver theme, add custom css. This should do it:

.postprofile {
	float: left;
	border-width: 0 1px 0 0;
	margin-right: 1%;	
}

Like @Morrigan said though, there's probably themes out there that already do that.

If you plan to make edits to the theme, I would actually recommend setting up your own child theme. This means you keep prosilver as it is (making upgrading your forum easier) and only bring in template files that you actually want to edit. Related.

Can I add stuff like fields for nicknames, age, gender, etc? 

Yep! Check out the guide on Custom Profile Fields

I found some skins that I like but I don't know how to install them. Little help?

You typically want to upload them via ftp and throw them into the styles directory. That folder should be in the root of your phpBB install. Related.

Installing extensions is similar; they go in the ext folder. Related.

Would I be able to transfer over a skin made for jcink to phpBB?

The forum structure would be way too different to do this. Theoretically, you could like create a custom phpBB theme to conform to jcink HTML structure, but that would be A LOT of work. It might be best to create a custom theme and style it as you see fit using the phpBB theme markup.

Can banners have a hover function? Can I have a sidebar/chatbox that can be toggled? 

You can add a banner with a hover, but would require adding it to your theme templates. For sidebar, here's some instructions I found that you might want to check out. It's for 3.1, but the prosilver theme has not changed drastically from 3.1 to 3.2. 

There's also some extensions you might want to look into for this:

Site Maker

cmBB

I have not tried either of these, but they might give you extra options.

Are there subaccounts? How are they accessed?

There are not subaccounts per-say, but there is a "Linked Accounts" extension now. 

I think I've seen tagging on php boards but I don't know how to do that? 

You want the Simple Mentions extension.

• Thank you 1

banner-01-88x31.jpg
Khyeras: an original fantasy RPG.

"I keep wanting to write 'dwarves' as 'drawers'."

"Land of the Drawers... we call it... Ikea."

10 hours ago, Morrigan said:

So to address your other issues. The placement of the author pane on phpBB is on the right. It would be a theme level change to get it on the left, which I believe there are some good themes out there that can do that for you. For installing, most of them are something that I believe you can install using an XML file (at least with phpBB3) and is done in the ACP.

Do you have a theme you are wanting to install that you can show me?

I was looking at this one in particular. 

As to another issue that's come up... when I try logging into the FTP, the page accepts my password for a moment before popping back up with the username/password input box. Rinse and repeat some half a dozen times. It says my connection isn't private, I'm not sure if that's the reason why?

Another one for you Kita

What software are you using for the file transfers? Filezilla?

• Thank you 1

sig.png.30b42565d04d922988370bf14e1447bc.png

PSI: an Occult Investigations RP

Roleplay Architects: Grab a friend (or many friends!) and just write.

You can also find me at:

static-historicalrp.jpg  B8CB4x.png rpabutton.png

14 minutes ago, Kit the Human said:

Another one for you Kita

What software are you using for the file transfers? Filezilla?

Thank you so much! And I have no idea, I haven't tried yet. What would you recommend?

You're welcome!

I prefer filezilla, click on the block that says download filezilla client to get the correct software.

• Thank you 1

You can also find me at:

8 minutes ago, Kit the Human said:

You're welcome!

I prefer filezilla, click on the block that says download filezilla client to get the correct software.

Hm, I'm running into an issue. When I click Site Manager > My Site > Connect, I get this set of messages. Any idea what's up?

Response:    fzSftp started, protocol_version=8

Command:    open "username@ftp.sitename.rpginitiative.com" 2223
Command:    Pass: ********************

Error: Authentication failed.

Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server.

Please ensure that you're using the correct password, it's the same as your cpanel password.

If you are certain that you're using the correct credentials, reach out using support request.

https://rpginitiative.com/support/

You can also find me at:

• Admin

@kita your username looks wrong. It should just be username@sitename.rpginitiative.com where you replace "sitename" with your actual subdomain.

0_mainsignature.jpg

image.png

So I was trying to follow the theme installation guide that Kit posted earlier, and I got to the part about "Now right click on the folder/s you extracted earlier and select upload. All of the theme elements will now be uploaded to your forum, into the styles folder." I tried right-clicking on both the folder in my file viewer and on the folders there in the styles area on my site, and there's not an upload option for either of them. What am I missing here? There's not a .xml file that FileZilla recognised in the unzipped folder.

Does this screenshot help you?

Untitled.png

You can also find me at: