Word count

Rune

I always get, as my partner Tess puts it, squinchy when I see a word count on a site. Not because I don't think I can make it but mostly because it gives me the "the admins might be micromanaging when..." vibe.

When working with other writers I need enough to work with so long as its coherent. I've had doctrinal thesis length posts where I'm left going back to the writer because I have literally -no- idea what is going on... that typically occurs when the other person is trying to be overly clever or impressive.

Respice Finem

Can be found causing mayhem and intrugue at Dawnbreak.

image.png.26f869973cedc9bd084f357aedf7c335.png

I play according to my own personal rule that I can only give as much as the other does.

Like very recently in an event thread with three other PCs, two were quite good at interacting or at least describing something to work with. It was real easy to piggyback off them. For the other participant, it's obvious he ignores all the other players and only focuses on the mod post (like as a player, he only cared for the mod post which goes further than how his PC ignores everyone else) which for me means one less to work with. I took it as a yay anyway since I usually go wayyyyy past the word count and having less to work with means more time for 2d spacemans.

So while a word count doesn't really affect me, I like it because if I'm in a thread with someone else, it's more likely they'll give me something to work with. What I don't like is how sometimes posts end up super wordy because of the need to pad it. Worst is if you are doing combat and a post ends up like an episode of Dragonball. At least in a dialogue I can just throw out whatever I want for the other to choose to respond to.

I think a better rule would be instead of "has someone reached their word count", people look at whether or not something has been contributed in that previous post. 

My posts average 250-350 words, though they've tended to verge longer the last couple weeks? I'm good with any word count up to about 500. I've never really had a bad experience with people writing less than me, because if you can give me enough to reply to from a fifty-word-long post, then I'm cool with that. But there was one time the rules said there wasn't a word count but all the posts ended up being 1k+ words just through site culture. That was my own stupidity in not checking post lengths before joining but it was still a "oh shit, what did I get into?" moment. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am not fussed about word counts as long as I am given enough to work with to reply with. However as an admin I usually am a stickler for word counts in apps which are to be followed loosely imo.